2021 OLED Discussion (LG/Panasonic/Sony etc.)

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member

CaptainJames

Solidmedia

The GX 77" can be picked up for around £4300 at the moment, if the G1 77" ever gets to that sort of price it'll be a bargain. Looking forward to the reviews in April / May.

smdntn

Novice Member
So the LG C1 is only €200 more than the B1 at 55" and only €100 more at the 65" size.

Not really sure what they're aiming to achieve with their pricing. The only difference I can tell is the processor, the new B1 allegedly has 4x HDMI 2.1

Also is the A1 going to be launched in the UK/EU? I thought that was US only model.

Question really for me is to pull the trigger on a decent priced 65 CX or wait it out until Black Friday for the next round of deals on the newer models.

IL Cattivo

Some of us here simply do not have the gene in us to wait until Nov/Dec for price drops.
It's trigger or never... ;)

UpgradingAgain

I suppose patience depends on price, doesn’t it. If the Sony is £7-8k and considered fairly priced, I’d buy it. If it goes £9-10k then I’d be very patient 😂

UpgradingAgain

A non starter for me if it comes in over £8k, would start looking more into the LG G1 77"
Agree. I’m sure the LG would do very nicely. Only issue being the negative comments about LG quality control over on those forums. So many people checking screen uniformity etc. I’m sure other manufacturers have too but there seems a lot to say on the LG forums. Are you worried about that?

jmacc

Distinguished Member
Agree. I’m sure the LG would do very nicely. Only issue being the negative comments about LG quality control over on those forums. So many people checking screen uniformity etc. I’m sure other manufacturers have too but there seems a lot to say on the LG forums. Are you worried about that?
Yes but you have to remember there are many more LG oleds out there.. Probably adding up to more than all the other manufacturers combined so that doesn't help.
jjref the value electronics store owner and general "mr in the know" was saying that LG G1 will have the best uniformity yet supposedly.. Another wait and see though.

UpgradingAgain

Yes but you have to remember there are many more LG oleds out there.. Probably adding up to more than all the other manufacturers combined so that doesn't help.
jjref the value electronics store owner and general "mr in the know" was saying that LG G1 will have the best uniformity yet supposedly.. Another wait and see though.
I hadn’t considered that about the LG. But also, I’m sure the forums represent a dot of the total sales out there. It just seems that the forums do seem to concentrate the issues in one place and it does concern me that so much is being said. If someone in the know says this years will be better then I wonder how they know?

jmacc

Distinguished Member
It just seems that the forums do seem to concentrate the issues in one place and it does concern me that so much is being said.
We are just "enthusiasts" that scrutinize the panel :D

If someone in the know says this years will be better then I wonder how they know?
I guess because he's "in the know" ye know? :D

UpgradingAgain

We are just "enthusiasts" that scrutinize the panel :D

I guess because he's "in the know" ye know? :D
I think the forums has some real professionals and some very experienced members who clearly know what they’re talking about. The problem is, do they represent issues evident to most buyers? ( storm in a teacup?)

The ‘in the know’ strikes me as double edged sword. Did Mr in the know highlight the problems with previous panels?

shep1968

A question for someone if they dont mind. I'm moving my 49" sony 9505 LCD into the conservatory and am after a replacement 55" for the lounge. I can darken the lounge easily and watch a mix of TV via sky q and netflix. No gaming at all and none in the future. I'm minded to go Sony and like the look of the KD 55 A8, especially at the current prices. I can wait a few months until i purchase if necessary, would i be better doing so and waiting for the new TV's to be a reasonable price or should i buy the outgoing one or bite the bullt and get the new one as soon as it lands?

clydebest

Distinguished Member
A question for someone if they dont mind. I'm moving my 49" sony 9505 LCD into the conservatory and am after a replacement 55" for the lounge. I can darken the lounge easily and watch a mix of TV via sky q and netflix. No gaming at all and none in the future. I'm minded to go Sony and like the look of the KD 55 A8, especially at the current prices. I can wait a few months until i purchase if necessary, would i be better doing so and waiting for the new TV's to be a reasonable price or should i buy the outgoing one or bite the bullt and get the new one as soon as it lands?
A question echoed throughout the lifetime of this forum or in my case 2011 to present ..answer ... only you can answer that, to buy or wait? 🤔

shep1968

A question echoed throughout the lifetime of this forum or in my case 2011 to present ..answer ... only you can answer that, to buy or wait? 🤔
I guess what I was asking is whether or not I should move to OLED from LCD and if there is going to be a big enough leap in the technology and picture quality to make it worth either being an early adopter or waiting until November for a significant price drop.

clydebest

Distinguished Member
I guess what I was asking is whether or not I should move to OLED from LCD and if there is going to be a big enough leap in the technology and picture quality to make it worth either being an early adopter or waiting until November for a significant price drop.
I would go OLED in fact i have.. do some research , take into account how light the room the tv is situated.. you will pay a premium for being an early buyer .. so if you can wait that's a good option end of year prices are much more palatable in comparison.. in the end, it's your call .

shep1968

I would go OLED in fact i have.. do some research , take into account how light the room the tv is situated.. you will pay a premium for being an early buyer .. so if you can wait that's a good option end of year prices are much more palatable in comparison.. in the end, it's your call .
I’ve looked into it and as the current tv is going into the conservatory I bought an LCD as it can get quite bright in there. OLED seems to be the way to go. The earliest I will be buying is May. Any idea when the new TVs will be in the shops please?

clydebest

Distinguished Member
I’ve looked into it and as the current tv is going into the conservatory I bought an LCD as it can get quite bright in there. OLED seems to be the way to go. The earliest I will be buying is May. Any idea when the new TVs will be in the shops please?
Oleds will hit the shops May/June time from Sony / LG .. Then Panasonic that the usual way of it.

urichris

Bar the big 3 and Philips who all have OLEDs coming, none of the smaller manufacturers getting in on the OLED game? Who was that vestel brand that did an OLED the other year? Assume it flopped so bad they've given up.

nekromantik

well now that Vincent from HDTVTest has said Samsung will launch QD OLED next year and we know LG also will have these panels. So this EVO panels this year might not be as big step as as QD OLED.

Problem now is either you buy a TV this year and unless you can afford another OLED in 12 months or you skip 2021 and wait for next year. lol

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Philips TV to offer Mimi Sound Personalisation
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney predicts shorter theatrical release windows
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung teases 76-inch MicroLED TV plus flagship Q950A soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Amazon Music fully available on Android TV and Google TV platforms