2021 OLED Discussion (LG/Panasonic/Sony etc.)

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Prices now been pulled from the original USA shop..
Sony will see the good response to the the 83" starting price and now jack it right up :D :rolleyes: :thumbsdow:(

i would have thought all prices are subject to change anyway, but they were pitched just right IMHO for release anyways

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
ive been trying to read about the different oleds this year and i am really swayed towards the Sony A90J after initially thinking that the G1 was (and still might be) the dogs bollox...of course we have to see review and user feedback in the real world and also see if there's any issues that arise. fancy a change from panasonic and they just don't bother with the onboard apps or slick user interface which is all part of the experience IMHO

jmacc

Distinguished Member
ive been trying to read about the different oleds this year and i am really swayed towards the Sony A90J after initially thinking that the G1 was (and still might be) the dogs bollox...of course we have to see review and user feedback in the real world and also see if there's any issues that arise. fancy a change from panasonic and they just don't bother with the onboard apps or slick user interface which is all part of the experience IMHO
I have a feeling the Sony A90J Master Series Oled owners thread will be a busy one :D :thumbsup:

HariSeldon

If you've got the room/funds for an 83A90J, I'd honestly do your best to wait, it sounds like it's going to be an immense TV, probably best all-round OLED for 2021, taking into account performance and size.

Of course!

But got new place and can't have no TV until May so will get a good value 77" now and move this to the bedroom in May. Hence need a good deal on a 77" asap.

IL Cattivo

Could well have been a blessing mate.

65CX started at £2799/2899 I think? Not sure I'm ready to be as optimistic as @jmacc but I'm gonna say £2499 starting price for 65C1, which would be £1500 less than 65A90J I'm after.... now that suddenly looks overpriced :rotfl: Just as well I'm waiting for a few price drops :smoke:

Cool, reckon I'll have about £4K spare wonga after March so the LG65C1 & maybe the LGSN11 SB might just make it under that.

IL Cattivo

Or get the superior A90J with acoustic surface and no LG sound bar :thumbsup:

Just looked that unit up on Sony's website... You've got my attention :laugh:

ozthegweat

Or get the superior A90J with acoustic surface and no LG sound bar :thumbsup:
If only they'd offer a pair of wireless surround speaker that work with acoustic surface OLEDs :( I've been waiting for years for a manufacturer to offer a decent sounding TV with wireless surround speakers, only to be disappointed every CES.

jmacc

Distinguished Member
If only they'd offer a pair of wireless surround speaker that work with acoustic surface OLEDs :( I've been waiting for years for a manufacturer to offer a decent sounding TV with wireless surround speakers, only to be disappointed every CES.
Pretty sure they do mate? There's a small wireless Sony set.
I'd rather they let you add a sub like the old a1e oled.

Chippy99

I end up posting this every couple of years, but I paid £6000 for 65" of this:

View attachment 1442273

10% slide. not 5%. Could barely make out the 5% text :rolleyes: big sharp band right down the middle :rolleyes:

It went back, but still :smoke:
Jeez, that's nothing. 20 years ago I paid £7,000 for a 40" 848x480 Panasonic plasma panel (no tuner, no speakers). Maybe £14,000 in today's money!

gunner84

Distinguished Member
If your planning to keep the tv a good few years, It can't hurt to just wait a few months for the newest model :smashin:
Will get the newest webos 6 and updates for longer of the tvs life, along with a faster gen 4 processor and gaming features if you game.
This years models should also release cheaper as well.

He has a CX already? , so a 1 year difference between them for "support", LG release the important fixes and big improvements in the 1st year or two anyway, hardly a reason to return the CX for a C1 for a little longer support.

jmacc

Distinguished Member
He has a CX already? , so a 1 year difference between them for "support", LG release the important fixes and big improvements in the 1st year or two anyway, hardly a reason to return the CX for a C1 for a little longer support.
Just my opinion mr cx owner.. but I did also say this? along with a faster gen 4 processor and gaming features if you game. and This years models should also release cheaper as well.
also hopefully be better uniformity than last years cx.

Last edited:

gunner84

Distinguished Member
Just my opinion mr cx owner.. but I did also say this? along with a faster gen 4 processor and gaming features if you game.
:laugh:
I know, personally the support part is pointless unless you have an older set like a C8/C9, I can then understand.
I just don't get people who buy a new TV and then worry that they are missing out when a new TV gets announced 8 months down the line. The likely hood is it will be the same as C9 and CX before with 12 months of particular bugs and waiting for fixes from LG.
I don't see anything to suggest its worth returning a CX for a C1.

stephentw

Am I right in thinking Panasonic had the best 24p motion handling this last year (with BFI and other trickery turned off)?

Thinking about upgrading from my VT65 plasma and trying to figure out where to focus my attention. I use a new console too so gaming features are important and LG seemed to win there but not be so good for film. I'll be getting the set calibrated so film is important to me too.

Not sure I can justify the new high end Sony prices, my 55" plasma was £1800 and I'd like to spend up to maybe £2000 on a 65" OLED. I'll be waiting for the price drops around black friday at the earliest though.

Appreciate no one has a crystal ball but if anyone has any thoughts, fire away :)

SimonST

Distinguished Member
Am I right in thinking Panasonic had the best 24p motion handling this last year (with BFI and other trickery turned off)?

Thinking about upgrading from my VT65 plasma and trying to figure out where to focus my attention. I use a new console too so gaming features are important and LG seemed to win there but not be so good for film. I'll be getting the set calibrated so film is important to me too.

Not sure I can justify the new high end Sony prices, my 55" plasma was £1800 and I'd like to spend up to maybe £2000 on a 65" OLED. I'll be waiting for the price drops around black friday at the earliest though.

Appreciate no one has a crystal ball but if anyone has any thoughts, fire away :)

JZ1000 (tba) or A80J will most likely be your best bet, and both should be under £2000 at BF. You can switch BFI on for SDR content without impacting brightness, and flicker should not be visible at the lowest setting. IIRC, Panasonic's implementation was the best for 2020. With no motion/BFI settings turned on, they should perform identically really; both use the same 120hz panels, so 24p content can be refreshed 5 times per frame without introducing any stutters.

UpgradingAgain

From a non- LG person;
C or G or Z ( is Z right?) is there one that is better in terms of user reviews from last year? I see many talking about Cx but nit much about the others. Is that because people don’t buy the other models much or did they have problems or are they not worth the money?

Desert29

Standard Member
:laugh:
I know, personally the support part is pointless unless you have an older set like a C8/C9, I can then understand.
I just don't get people who buy a new TV and then worry that they are missing out when a new TV gets announced 8 months down the line. The likely hood is it will be the same as C9 and CX before with 12 months of particular bugs and waiting for fixes from LG.
I don't see anything to suggest its worth returning a CX for a C1.
What caught my attention at the LG website concerning the C1 is the improved video enhancements from the Gen 4 processor on image quality, the difference is drastic. It's AI enhancements but I want the best experience with minimal user inputs lol ( just to be honest).

I am returning the CX probably this week to Costco but i do have reservations because the 5% gray screen on my CX is perfect with no banding (screen lotto win).

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Tidal streaming service acquired by Twitter/Square's Jack Dorsey
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix adds support for reduced theatrical release window
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Paradigm launches Founder speaker series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 3rd March 2021