2021 OLED Discussion (LG/Panasonic/Sony etc.)

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member

jmacc

Distinguished Member
What's your thoughts on the video mate?
I'm not so enthusiastic about how some of the HDR dark scenes look washed out on the a90j due to it's high brightness tbh.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
What's your thoughts on the video mate?
I'm not so enthusiastic about how some of the HDR dark scenes look washed out on the a90j due to it's high brightness tbh.
Yeah it's a mixed review really...that clip from game of thrones is very low bit rate which he always uses on purpose. Something he said about the A90j not being able to go lower that 5% near black on calibration controls? Can this be fed back to Sony and added via software update? and some of the other issues...Also mentioned these grid lines again?

Last edited:

CliffordinWales

Did I blink and miss it, or did he not cite a figure for HDR peak brightness? Reading Rtings' review, they didn't get anywhere near the much-hyped 1,300 nits peak outside Vivid mode.

I'm also confused as to whether the A90J has the 'Evo' panel. When Vincent talked about the spectral distribution I got the impression that it does. Later on though, he quotes Sony's denial and says the higher power consumption indicates the A90J doesn't have it... so I'm none the wiser.

jmacc

Distinguished Member
Did I blink and miss it, or did he not cite a figure for HDR peak brightness? Reading Rtings' review, they didn't get anywhere near the much-hyped 1,300 nits peak outside Vivid mode.

I'm also confused as to whether the A90J has the 'Evo' panel. When Vincent talked about the spectral distribution I got the impression that it does. Later on though, he quotes Sony's denial and says the higher power consumption indicates the A90J doesn't have it... so I'm none the wiser.
I think he is yet to do a full review of the a90j mate.

Brettrnz

Standard Member

I think what Vincent meant was that Sony is denying they have the "EVO" panel because thats what it is marketed as by LG Electronics. The power consumption measurements being around the same as the A8H I think has more to do with the panel in the A90J being pushed harder to reach higher brightness levels so it kind of levels out.

Like @jmacc said, Once Vinnie has done a full review of the A90J and possibly a full side by side comparison with the G1 will we truly see whats going on.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
I've also read as you run it in for a few hundred hours the panel settles and gets brighter for custom modes.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
I think he is yet to do a full review of the a90j mate.
yeah seems odd to do a comparison before youve done the main review? some of the stuff he was talking about is disputed by another review. that's why i say its an opinion and like judges and medical experts they can look at the same information and come up with different conclusions. well some members of our community are getting their sets today. so if there not gushing over new sets we might get some real UK feedback to our sets today and over the weekend.

RichWalk

I've also read as you run it in for a few hundred hours the panel settles and gets brighter for custom modes.
I think that applies to the new heatsink panels, my HZ got brighter after a 100+ hours then noticably brighter after about 5-600 hours.

What seems to be missed here is the simple fact that all these (panny/Sony) panels still come via LG and with the volumes of units they are making at much lower prices (due partly to economies of scale, production wise) they share the inherant faults LG have, its then down to the individual companies to try and resolve as many previosuly noted issues as they can with the master/pro ranges, ineviatbly it appears, solving one issue often creates another one for the experts who know how the processing is actually done and what each change causes.

Its an overview that one takes, we all know theres no perfect set, its just seeing what the gains are compared to previous years and deciding 'yes' thats enough of an improvement for me to spend that amount of money over what I have now.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
I think that applies to the new heatsink panels, my HZ got brighter after a 100+ hours then noticably brighter after about 5-600 hours.

What seems to be missed here is the simple fact that all these (panny/Sony) panels still come via LG and with the volumes of units they are making at much lower prices (due partly to economies of scale, production wise) they share the inherant faults LG have, its then down to the individual companies to try and resolve as many previosuly noted issues as they can with the master/pro ranges, ineviatbly it appears, solving one issue often creates another one for the experts who know how the processing is actually done and what each change causes.

Its an overview that one takes, we all know theres no perfect set, its just seeing what the gains are compared to previous years and deciding 'yes' thats enough of an improvement for me to spend that amount of money over what I have now.
did you get your set calibrated? if so after what amount of hours?

RichWalk

did you get your set calibrated? if so after what amount of hours?
yes its full ISF via Steve, he did it after around 140 hours, I ran it in the old fashioned way with no black bar films, no logos for any period of time, never paused and only tiny bits of HDR although I noted D-Nice runs his sets in for 100 hours on HDR.

as with my previous comments on brightness increasing, the 100% white slide is now cleaner too, it had a slight red tint early on which is now only visible on 5% grey and less slides, never in any viewed content thankfully.

fzst

Conclusion (translated with Google Translate using intro text from poster under YouTube film):

The fight has been hard, because they are very balanced, below I will summarize the pros and cons of the 3

PANASONIC
The good:
-Cinema image
-Maximum brightness
-Little ABL

The bad:
-No HDMI 2.1
-------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------
SONY
The good:
-Realistic image and color
-Motion processor
-Complete operating system does not lack anything

The bad:
-He could have shone a bit more and improved his ABL

-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------
LG
The good:
-As always TV that goes for everything
-General image quality
-VRR game modes etc

The bad:
EVO panel represents almost no evolution and should improve ABL
Really hard to judge from such a bad video but the Panasonic does look the best here also there seems to be quite some black crush happening on the LG. Now that I have a HZ 1000 at home and did briefly have an LG CX, I can confirm that there is way more shadow detail on the Panasonic and a more natural presentation of colour. So what I saw at home looked pretty similar than this comparison of LG and Panasonic maybe not that severe.

Keep in mind both of my TV's weren't calibrated nor were the TVs in this video (I asked to channel's owner).

wolvernole

Standard Member
Really hard to judge from such a bad video but the Panasonic does look the best here also there seems to be quite some black crush happening on the LG. Now that I have a HZ 1000 at home and did briefly have an LG CX, I can confirm that there is way more shadow detail on the Panasonic and a more natural presentation of colour. So what I saw at home looked pretty similar than this comparison of LG and Panasonic maybe not that severe.

Keep in mind both of my TV's weren't calibrated nor were the TVs in this video (I asked to channel's owner).

Well, the video was clear enough to me...the panel on the far LEFT (was that Panasonic?) had thee BEST black detail by far ! The worst black detail was on the far RIGHT (was that LG?). I was not clear what brands were where, but the far left stood out.

supa koopa

Well my 65" A90j has arrived this morning. It's going to be a long painful day waiting until this evening to open it up.

I was trying to decide between all the models, but the last time I bought a TV was 5 years ago so I thought what the hell and treated myself to the Sony. It's the most expensive and probably not worth it, but I got a deal and the extras are worth it to me. Not planning on changing for at least another 5 years, so the extra spread over the years is negligible in my mind. That's obviously assuming it's an okay panel. :rotfl:

Not much of interest to anyone, but I'm excited. :laugh:

jmacc

Distinguished Member
Well my 65" A90j has arrived this morning. It's going to be a long painful day waiting until this evening to open it up.

I was trying to decide between all the models, but the last time I bought a TV was 5 years ago so I thought what the hell and treated myself to the Sony. It's the most expensive and probably not worth it, but I got a deal and the extras are worth it to me. Not planning on changing for at least another 5 years, so the extra spread over the years is negligible in my mind. That's obviously assuming it's an okay panel. :rotfl:

Not much of interest to anyone, but I'm excited. :laugh:
congrats mate, I'm sure it will be a fine panel, 55" are a sure bet!

supa koopa

congrats mate, I'm sure it will be a fine panel, 55" are a sure bet!
I've seen the 65" can be more problematic, but I had to go for it this time. At least that way it will feel like a much bigger change from my 55 B6.

Ordered yesterday afternoon and arrived at 8.30 this morning. That was a sting out of the bank balance. :laugh:

jmacc

Distinguished Member
I've seen the 65" can be more problematic, but I had to go for it this time. At least that way it will feel like a much bigger change from my 55 B6.

Ordered yesterday afternoon and arrived at 8.30 this morning. That was a sting out of the bank balance. :laugh:
Dam I read it as you got a 55" for some reason and only added that in to make you feel better/reassure you :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
I'm sure the 65" will be just fine mate. :D:D🧐

fzst

You're in for a treat mate.:thumbsup:
I just upgraded from a 55" to 65" as well two months back. It's a big upgrade. At first I was like: "Man that's huge", but I already adopted to it and now I'm thinking: "Well, maybe 77" isn't as ridicolous as I thought". :rotfl: :D

EDIT: Seating distance is about 10 feet.

Last edited:

supa koopa

You're in for a treat mate, I just upgraded from a 55" to 65" as well two months back. It's a big upgrade. At first I was like: "Man that's huge", but I already adopted to it and now I'm thinking: "Well, maybe 77" isn't as ridicolous as I thought". :rotfl: :D
I've got to say looking at the box it does seem quite big, but I'm sure in a few days it will seem normal. :laugh:

Every time I've gone looking at TV's I've lusted after the 65" but thought they were too much to spend. Then I've gone looking at the Sony's and thought they're really nice but not worth the extra over the LG. So I've really pushed the boat out this time and bought with my heart rather than my head as I usually do. :D

fzst

I've got to say looking at the box it does seem quite big, but I'm sure in a few days it will seem normal. :laugh:
Yes at first I thought that it's maybe too big as well and I even got a little eyestrain the first few times I watched it but it gets normal so quickly.
My brother in law just bought an LG BX 55 (He didn't want to spend so much on a TV) with about the same viewing distance as me. I was used to 55" with an even greater viewing distance before and thought it was enough but now, when I look at his TV I think:" Man that's tiny!". :laugh:

fzst

Every time I've gone looking at TV's I've lusted after the 65" but thought they were too much to spend. Then I've gone looking at the Sony's and thought they're really nice but not worth the extra over the LG. So I've really pushed the boat out this time and bought with my heart rather than my head as I usually do. :D
The the more I buy tech, the more I think buying with your gut is actually a good thing. Otherwise you are getting FOMO and are constantly thinking about what if, which ultimately leads to new TV soon rather then later.
So if you are the guy, who doesn't always need the next best thing and you have the money, treat yourself with the best now and be happy with it for many years. Just make sure when you get it, that everything is ok with the panel.

supa koopa

The the more I buy tech, the more I think buying with your gut is actually a good thing. Otherwise you are getting FOMO and are constantly thinking about what if, which ultimately leads to new TV soon rather then later.
So if you are the guy, who doesn't always need the next best thing and you have the money, treat yourself with the best now and be happy with it for many years. Just make sure when you get it, that everything is ok with the panel.
Sound advice and it's exactly as intend to proceed. :thumbsup:

RichWalk

Totally agree, I always played it safe and went for 50/55" but pushed the boat on my HZ, panel wise it appears I'v been lucky as there are plenty with faults, it did have a slight red tint but that was largely calibrated out and weirdly as I approach 1000hrs its got cleaner on a 100% white slide............

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T/9x Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Freeview Play viewers get Android TV homescreen update
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Hisense announces US TV and soundbar ranges for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 5th May 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
AVForums Movies Podcast: 4th May 2021