2021 OLED Discussion (LG/Panasonic/Sony etc.)

IL Cattivo

Well that's how supply chains work, to be fair - it's the "Just in time" philosophy. An ETA of shipping arriving in the UK is not unreasonable, as it's usually quite accurate to predict.

If someone is quoting a lead time of six weeks for example, then it's a given that it's not even in the country yet.
I'm just being an impatient mofo CJ.. :rotfl: Your logic holds solid. Those lead times did change a few weeks back and it's the lack of regular updates (which should be initiated from them) that grate on me. Not the best CS when the goalposts keep moving, especially when we've all parted with a pretty hefty amount of dosh here.

Ashy

Think the issue is there’s so many factors what can cause the delays right now and half the time the retailer is as in the dark as we are. Not ideal but sometimes just out of their control

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Not withstanding the memes, the Suez Canal blockage really has caused a bottle neck in world shipping.
Yep there's that aswell ha ha..never mind...its nearly Easter. Time to enjoy the..Sunnnnshinne ( best liam Gallagher voice )..while I'm waiting

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
In the grand scheme of things of course its not important...we have a pandemic..and I'd rather all shipping prioritise vaccines and getting them to people and countries before any stupid over priced telly...

....the wife said ...

IL Cattivo

Another thing... If they were on that ship, I hope they haven't been cooked in all that Egyptian Sun!!
Can you imagine how hot it must be to be in one of those metal containers with the sun beating down on you..!! 😰

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Customer services just told me confirmed stock of the A90J is in on Monday 12th April (John Lewis)
Just to back this up just give them a call, and was told the same date and if I havent heard anything by 7th April..to give them a call.

CaptainJames

Another thing... If they were on that ship, I hope they haven't been cooked in all that Egyptian Sun!!
Can you imagine how hot it must be to be in one of those metal containers with the sun beating down on you..!! 😰
Good point! And it's not just the ship that was stuck, it's all the hundreds that were queued up behind it.

CaptainJames

In the grand scheme of things of course its not important...we have a pandemic..and I'd rather all shipping prioritise vaccines and getting them to people and countries before any stupid over priced telly...

....the wife said ...
Although if it's any comfort to (cough!) the wife, any vaccines will be going by air due to temperature requirements.

Wez68

Distinguished Member
Don’t worry they have a heat sink 😂

retropilot

Sony TVs are assembled in Slovakia IIRC so I don't think you have to worry about that. I'm pretty sure the Suez incident has nothing to do with the current delays however it may result in delays further down the line due to knock on effects on component shipments.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
This sony brightness number crunching manipulation looks a bit pathetic when they base their peak brightness of of dynamic mode.

still a killer TV tho

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
did Lg bring back DTS btw? I think its a fairly important feature for many people and not having the decoder makes having EARC less useful and ultimately forces AVR manufacturers to have to put in more HDMI 2.1 ports.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member

ukjackbauer

Here is a photo comparison between G1 and A90J for what it's worth

Yowzers. That makes it look much closer than I thought it would be.

I guess you can't see the detail in those images though, nor the HDR highlights.

That's what I'm most interested to know - I'm happy enough with the G1 but if the A90J's highlights are considerably brighter, I'd be sorely tempted to switch.

I keep reading that the heat sink on the Sony allows extra highlight brightness, but can we be certain it's not just the Evo panel that does that, and that the heat sink is more of a burn-in protector that prolongs the life of the TV? (That may be a stupid question... Wouldn't ask it on AVS for fear of the response.)

MahaRaja

It seems the Sony A90J gained popularity just because it could hit around 1300 nits on Vivid mode for few seconds but everyone got quite excited and had thought it could reach a 1000 nits on one of the accurate picture modes but now it looks like the similar amount of Nits in accurate picture modes as LG's G1, that is around 750/780 nits.

As hardly anyone watches in Vivid mode, it's no brighter than G1 in those modes that ppl uses. I think Panasonic's JZ2000 would hit higher around 900 nits, in accurate picture modes.

Last edited:

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member

I guess you can't see the detail in those images though, nor the HDR highlights.

That's what I'm most interested to know - I'm happy enough with the G1 but if the A90J's highlights are considerably brighter, I'd be sorely tempted to switch.

I keep reading that the heat sink on the Sony allows extra highlight brightness, but can we be certain it's not just the Evo panel that does that, and that the heat sink is more of a burn-in protector that prolongs the life of the TV? (That may be a stupid question... Wouldn't ask it on AVS for fear of the response.)
I was hoping you would give us some feedback on your G1 mate. I have seen the A90J hit 850 nits in custom mode somewhere. But I get the impression that the overall brightness and processor add to the quality of the picture...of course this is subjective until I see it in person.

CaptainJames

It seems the Sony A90J gained popularity just because it could hit around 1300 nits on Vivid mode for few seconds but everyone quite excited and had thought it could reach a 1000 nits on one of the accurate picture modes but now it looks like the similar amount of Nits in accurate picture modes as LG's G1, that is around 750/780 nits.

As hardly anyone watches in Vivid mode, it's no brighter than G1 in those modes that ppl uses. I think Panasonic's JZ2000 would hit higher around 900 nits, in accurate picture mode.
Yeah, the 1300 nits in Vivid business wasn't particularly helpful. We can only wait until we see some reliable UK reviews of both the Sony and the Panny .

Spigtoe

Novice Member
Does anyone know if Amazon generally receives its stock of new OLEDs around the same time as other retailers like Currys, John Lewis etc?

JustTheFacts

The reason there are practically zero reports of Sony TVs experiencing burn in, even though they use LG panels, is because they made very few OLEDs using the 2017 panels. Almost all of the Sony OLEDs use 2018 and newer panels. Since 2018 the reports of OLED burn in are practically zero compared to the over 10,000,000 OLED TVs sold. With the added heat sink the Sony TVs will be even more durable.

jmacc

Distinguished Member
The reason there are practically zero reports of Sony TVs experiencing burn in, even though they use LG panels, is because they made very few OLEDs using the 2017 panels. Almost all of the Sony OLEDs use 2018 and newer panels. Since 2018 the reports of OLED burn in are practically zero compared to the over 10,000,000 OLED TVs sold. With the added heat sink the Sony TVs will be even more durable.
2016 was the year of the burn in for me, 4 new panels on a 55 e6, all burnt within months of heavy usage, my c8 or c9 have had a lot more heavy use and not a sign of burn in on either.

Tingo

I thought burn in was caused by uneven pixel wear. I take it that its actual heat causing the issue?

IL Cattivo

Although not an expert in the field, it's my understanding that the introduction of a heatsink is a preventative measure (although not a guarantee) to prolong the life of the panel thus mitigating the risk of burn-in due to excessive use/brightness of static pixels.

Tjopper

Verdict summary (my interpretation): Yes the G1 is brighter and has slightly better contrast, but in daily life most people won't notice this as the difference is not very big.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

BAFTA 2021 awards sees Nomadland as big winner
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for May 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung rumoured to be buying OLED TV panels from LG Display
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix signs with Sony for first streaming rights in U.S.
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Pro launches C10 MkII speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom