2021 OLED Discussion (LG/Panasonic/Sony etc.)

Desert29

Standard Member
The problem with retail stores is the display TV is always playing the best broadcast signal, wish they would show the upscaling using various resolution inputs as an example from a 1080i source or lower.

Hopefully the A90J upscales really good because my Directv 1080i with the A8H was horrific and I returned it due to excessive pixelation, blotchiness and other video artifacts which were not normal.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
The problem with retail stores is the display TV is always playing the best broadcast signal, wish they would show the upscaling using various resolution inputs as an example from a 1080i source or lower.

Hopefully the A90J upscales really good because my Directv 1080i with the A8H was horrific and I returned it due to excessive pixelation, blotchiness and other video artifacts which were not normal.
I'm sure you can put some test stuff on a USB stick and pre arrange to have a demo ( when shops reopen!

v8hawkeman

Talking 77". Now we have the UK price for the Sony A90J (55" & 65") we can make an educated guess at what the 77" A80J will be, based on the accidentaly released Sony US prices. The differece is some 10% to 12.5%, so it should be about £3900. Waiting for the LG G1 & C1 77" UK prices and then the reviews and can decide between 1 of these 3 sets. Really wanted the A90J as many others have said but don't want to drop to 65" (already have a 75") and can't go bigger than 77".:(

rmelbourne1984

Standard Member
That 77" CX currently at £3,400 is looking tempting if the 83" A90J is going to be £7k roughly I think. Are you really getting double the picture quality over the CX?! Really want the A90J but dont know if I can justify the money.

Chamberlain

Are you really getting double the picture quality over the CX?! Really want the A90J but dont know if I can justify the money.

Well no but this is always the case when you buy early, you have to pay alot more. Thats why im glad i already have an oled and can wait for the good deals to come.

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
The Sony is coming in at very reasonable money at launch. I wasn't going to upgrade my GZ2000 for a couple of years but, if the Sony and Panasonic are as good as the specs hint, and they offer truly improved colour volume, I think I will be moving to either the A90J or JZ2000 this year.

Very exciting times for PQ enthusiasts.

Paul

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member

Jawy

Novice Member
Hello,

Does anyone know when Panasonic will present the 2021 line up?
Somehow I cant find any information about such an event.

Thanks

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
That 77" CX currently at £3,400 is looking tempting if the 83" A90J is going to be £7k roughly I think. Are you really getting double the picture quality over the CX?! Really want the A90J but dont know if I can justify the money.
The problem is that 77" was not that price at launch wasn't it £6,000.... although I agree very tempting to those that want that size.

The 83" sony is £7,000 the forums have just confirmed

Earthscope

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member

Earthscope

Screen burn not covered in the 6 year guarantee..for those that want piece of mind ..
Yes, shame that RS doesn’t also offer that in their coverage.
Not that I have ever suffered from screen burn with any of my OLED’s. Good to have the option of the coverage if one is worried it may or may not happen though from JL....

Last edited:

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Yes, shame that RS doesn’t also offer that in their coverage.
Not that I have ever suffered from screen burn with any of my OLED’s. Good to have the option of the coverage if one is worried it may or may not happen though from JL....
Yep. It has always baffled me with the more recent oleds that if screen burn is not an issue anymore why it's not covered in the original 12 month warranty...I believe the new Philips sets are covered! What is it they have that the other oleds don't?

nekromantik

LG 77 G1 price will be interesting to see as they cant price it at same as the 83 A90J. Im thinking £6500 for the 77 G1.

v8hawkeman

LG 77 G1 price will be interesting to see as they cant price it at same as the 83 A90J. Im thinking £6500 for the 77 G1.
If the pricing is the same as the A90J then a 77" would equate to around £5500.
1614629524552.png

Kron*

I don't get the Sony A90J series, Why would you go to the trouble of speccing an Evo panel and custom heatsink only to make two of the four HDMI slots 2.1?

When you're already paying an extra 1.5k just for the Sony badge that's a rediculous oversight.

Fella55

I don't get the Sony A90J series, Why would you go to the trouble of speccing an Evo panel and custom heatsink only to make two of the four HDMI slots 2.1?

When you're already paying an extra 1.5k just for the Sony badge that's a rediculous oversight.
So that they can put 4 x HDMI 2.1 on the 2022 model so you have a reason to upgrade.

jmacc

Distinguished Member
76" MicroLED 🧐🧐🤔🤔💰💰

5to1

No, if you can resist it almost always makes sense to get the run out models. Every year the manufacturers/reviewers sing the praises of these sets, then 12 months later they turn to crap when the new models are announced :D

I suspect the biggest difference will be the ~16% increase in screen size.

NB: Costco are doing the 77AG9 for £2879, as a direct comparison.

rmelbourne1984

Standard Member
No, if you can resist it almost always makes sense to get the run out models. Every year the manufacturers/reviewers sing the praises of these sets, then 12 months later they turn to crap when the new models are announced :D

I suspect the biggest difference will be the ~16% increase in screen size.

NB: Costco are doing the 77AG9 for £2879, as a direct comparison.

I'm going to wait to see what the X95J is like from reviews, because Im going to guess the 85" will come in around £4k, so only £500 more than the 65" A90J and I really want that immersive feeling in my room and 75" plus is what I need really.

5to1

I'm going to wait to see what the X95J is like from reviews, because Im going to guess the 85" will come in around £4k, so only £500 more than the 65" A90J and I really want that immersive feeling in my room and 75" plus is what I need really.

The problem I have with the big FALD sets is the manufacturer doesnt always increase the number of zones proportionally. So you read user/journalist reviews of the 55" and then find the bigger sets arent as good. Atleast that's been my experience a number of times when I've checked sets in store after reading reviews.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for May 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung's 110-inch Micro LED TV on pre-order at Harrods
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen introduces Beosound Emerge speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony launches native 4K VPL-VW290ES and VW890ES projectors