2020 XH9505 or 2021 X90/94J?

dodgypete

Hi

I am in the market for a new TV. I love my existing 50" 1080p Sony and it works seamlessly with my surround system so want to stick with the brand. I was looking at the 55" XH9505 previously but thought I would wait for the replacement. However, it turns out the new X95J will not be available in 55" which leaves the model down - the X90 or X94J (which I am guessing replaces the XH9005). I can get the 9505 for £999 and the new X90/94 for not much more. Without being able to see any reviews yet I am wondering if I should grab the old flagship LCD or settle for the new second tier LCD? The new unit gets the new XR processor and will, I am quite sure, be an improvement over the 9005 but will it be better than (or at least a match for) the outgoing 9505?

Any insight much appreciated.

Thanks

IAMBatman

The XH95 is a great tv. I doubt the X90J will be better but who knows. I've had the XH90 and the XH95 truly is miles ahead for (HDR) movies. Maybe wait if HDMI 2.1 is important to you.

dodgypete

The XH95 is a great tv. I doubt the X90J will be better but who knows. I've had the XH90 and the XH95 truly is miles ahead for (HDR) movies. Maybe wait if HDMI 2.1 is important to you.
Thanks. 2.1 not really a consideration. I like what I read about the new processor, so it is a shame none have turned up in any reviews for comparison. I think I will wait and in the event a review sways me towards the 9505, just hope some are still around at bargain prices.

One more thing; do you think it likely Sony might add a 55" to the X95J in the future? That would be my ideal.

zubeir

If you are not bothered about gaming, then I would keep a look out for a 55" or 65" XH9505. You could end up picking up a 65" for under a grand. Remember, 120hz gaming has a trade off against quality as it will not render the full scene properly.

MechaGodzilla

Thanks. 2.1 not really a consideration. I like what I read about the new processor, so it is a shame none have turned up in any reviews for comparison. I think I will wait and in the event a review sways me towards the 9505, just hope some are still around at bargain prices.

One more thing; do you think it likely Sony might add a 55" to the X95J in the future? That would be my ideal.
Unfortunately, there won't be a 55" X95J.

Vincent Teoh of HDTVTest actually covered this in a video where he talked about Sony's 2021 TVs. He said he asked Sony why there won't be a 55" X95J, and they told him it's because 55" OLEDs have gone down so much in cost that they see no point. Basically, they think if the price is roughly the same, most people will choose OLED, and they want to avoid having two TVs at the same price point cannibalizing each others' sales.

So if anyone wants a "lower high-end" set in 55" from Sony, the A80J alone now fills that niche.

dodgypete

Unfortunately, there won't be a 55" X95J.

Vincent Teoh of HDTVTest actually covered this in a video where he talked about Sony's 2021 TVs. He said he asked Sony why there won't be a 55" X95J, and they told him it's because 55" OLEDs have gone down so much in cost that they see no point. Basically, they think if the price is roughly the same, most people will choose OLED, and they want to avoid having two TVs at the same price point cannibalizing each others' sales.

So if anyone wants a "lower high-end" set in 55" from Sony, the A80J alone now fills that niche.
Thanks for the info.

I think the A80J will struggle to get the near the brightness levels of the X95J, which makes it a non starter for me.

MechaGodzilla

Thanks for the info.

I think the A80J will struggle to get the near the brightness levels of the X95J, which makes it a non starter for me.
I do think it's a shame that high-end LCDs are dying out in the 55" size class, with OLED taking over completely. For some people, LCD makes more sense for various reasons. Like if you want/need that extra brightness (like in your case), or if you use the TV in a way that puts you at an increased risk of burn-in (like in my case, as someone who does a lot of gaming on my TVs).

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
If you can't go up to the 65" then I would definitely go for the XH95, it's a quality television and will be a relative bargain.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom