• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question 2020 Models

AdamClayton84

Established Member
Hello.

Am looking at 2 different models from retailers.

Currys exclusive: 50PUS9005/12

Richer Sounds: 50PUS8555/12.

Is there much difference between the 2 and is Richer Sounds better with the longer warranty?

Thanks

mrhankey4932

Established Member
Hello.

Am looking at 2 different models from retailers.

Currys exclusive: 50PUS9005/12

Richer Sounds: 50PUS8555/12.

Is there much difference between the 2 and is Richer Sounds better with the longer warranty?

Thanks
As far as i know the only difference between the 8505 and 9005 series is the 9005 series have 4 sided ambilight, the panels and spec's remain the same

markfawcett

Established Member
The 9005 has 4 sided Ambilight and currently has £80 off the RRP at Currys.

It’s a no brainier to get that model, in my opinion.

AVtest

Established Member
Richer Sounds 8 series all day long. If you plan to have soundbar 4th side ambi is no use anyway. There is no real difference otherwise stated by philips. Also I think 8 series have swivel stand. Considering these are assembled in poland with cheap china components (check 8xx5 thread) warranty would be my priority :D As I think RS customer service miles better from Currys :lesson:

markfawcett

Established Member
Richer Sounds customer service might be better than Currys, but you’d still end up paying 10% more for an inferior TV just for the sake of 4 years extra warranty.

The extra warranty personally wouldn’t concern me on a purchase that cheap, but SOGA would cover you if the TV went kaput after 2 years anyway.

AVtest

Established Member
Richer Sounds customer service might be better than Currys, but you’d still end up paying 10% more for an inferior TV just for the sake of 4 years extra warranty.

The extra warranty personally wouldn’t concern me on a purchase that cheap, but SOGA would cover you if the TV went kaput after 2 years anyway.
How on earth SOGA will cover you after 2 years? Once warranty expired there is no way you will get anything out of manufacturer.
I personally don't think £500 is cheap, for some people its a lot of money. If tv packs in past 2 years it means it costed you £250 year just to watch something and then you need to fork out another £500 again ! If it pack in after 5 years its £100year. 6years make it £83year. Now if to follow your 2 year cycle - So over 6 years warranty you could easily save £1000 for your new OLED (at future prices)! So I think overpaying 10% is nothing compared to saving in long term.;)

markfawcett

Established Member
How on earth SOGA will cover you after 2 years? Once warranty expired there is no way you will get anything out of manufacturer.
I personally don't think £500 is cheap, for some people its a lot of money. If tv packs in past 2 years it means it costed you £250 year just to watch something and then you need to fork out another £500 again ! If it pack in after 5 years its £100year. 6years make it £83year. Now if to follow your 2 year cycle - So over 6 years warranty you could easily save £1000 for your new OLED (at future prices)! So I think overpaying 10% is nothing compared to saving in long term.;)
SOGA is nothing to do with the manufacturer - you claim against the retailer in this instance as a TV should last longer than 2 years.

AVtest

Established Member
SOGA is nothing to do with the manufacturer - you claim against the retailer in this instance as a TV should last longer than 2 years.
In order even to claim against anyone you have to have solid proof. "Should" is zero to any court or solicitor. If manufacturer did not state any length of operation then your chances are zero. Also SOGA is not going into detail on how long items should work in each category. Your approach would work as example against led bulbs or lamps where manufacturer claims as example 30k hours lifespan and your bulb dies out of warranty after 2 years. But people don't bother claiming and just buy another bulb which claims same bsh*t. I haven't seen yet tv manufacturer listing lifespan of their tv ;)

Gondawanna Man

Standard Member
Richer Sounds 8 series all day long. If you plan to have soundbar 4th side ambi is no use anyway. There is no real difference otherwise stated by philips. Also I think 8 series have swivel stand. Considering these are assembled in poland with cheap china components (check 8xx5 thread) warranty would be my priority :D As I think RS customer service miles better from Currys :lesson:
Thanks for mentioning that. I still have a PLF(PFL?) from yrs back the first ambilight ones made in Holland. It’s been UK-Australia twice plus moved houses at least six times and not one problem. As close to being built like a tank as a modern tv could be.

AVtest

Established Member
Thanks for mentioning that. I still have a PLF(PFL?) from yrs back the first ambilight ones made in Holland. It’s been UK-Australia twice plus moved houses at least six times and not one problem. As close to being built like a tank as a modern tv could be.
This is main rule people get wrong. You never ever compare old days with current. Lots of things changed since then, organizations change rapidly to compete with market demand. You could have same model tv but with completely different internals to meet market requirements in particular country. This is not a myth this is reality we live in. TV industry competition is very condense and fight for that last penny comes at a cost of quality.

KJT61

Novice Member
I am doing the same comparison for 50" model. The 8555 is now £499 with 6yr guarentee at Richer. The 9005 is £579 with an £80 voucher code until 08/09, making it £499 but is out of stock. The 3 differences are on 9005 which are Ambilight sleep, 2200psi and voice only command. The 8555 has no sleep on Ambilight, 2100psi and a QWERTY keyboard on rear of remote. Think I'll go with richer for the service.

AVtest

Established Member
I am doing the same comparison for 50" model. The 8555 is now £499 with 6yr guarentee at Richer. The 9005 is £579 with an £80 voucher code until 08/09, making it £499 but is out of stock. The 3 differences are on 9005 which are Ambilight sleep, 2200psi and voice only command. The 8555 has no sleep on Ambilight, 2100psi and a QWERTY keyboard on rear of remote. Think I'll go with richer for the service.
8555 also has voice commands, extra 100pci i am nearly sure is extra strip ambilight underneath tv. I am positive you made right choice :smashin:

M87NER

Established Member
Hi all, I've just got a 50pus7555 for the bedroom and struggling to get the disney+ app on it, is it possible yet or not? Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom