2019 SONY UBP-X800M2 Owners Thread

lebellium

Established Member
Reaction score
2e279250eab7ba7bd02b96c4219246a8

bc9a72dcfd7796920d68955f62dc0589

file.php

- Product Page (EN): Sony UBP-X800M2 4K UHD Blu-ray Player With HDR
- User Manual (EN): https://www.sony.com/electronics/su...43cf5641adf90fb7113c8029fdb0239/47408221M.pdf

It is almost the same as the original X800.
The main improvement is Dolby Vision support.

However, according to the user manual and settings, it doesn't look better implemented than in the infamous X700:
[Dolby Vision Output]
[On]: Output 4K/Dolby Vision signals via 4K/Dolby Vision-compatible devices.
[Off]: Automatically outputs HDR signals when you connect any 4K/HDR or 4K/Dolby Vision-compatible equipment.

-> No automatic detection of Dolby Vision content? That's sad...

Previously discussed in:
New 2019 Sony 4K UHD blu-ray players line-up
CES 2019 News: Sony announces UBP-X800M2 4K Blu-ray player

Fred Bryan Fan said:
Ce lecteur Bluray UHD serait vraiment parfait, mais il faut impérativement que Sony propose l'importante mise à jour HDR10+ En effet, après Warner et 20th Century Fox, Universal vient d'annoncer récemment son adhésion à la technologie HDR10+ également. J'ai lu que de nombreux Bluray UHD 4k à venir proposeront l'option HDR10 et HDR10+ sans forcément proposer l'option Dolby Vision (le cas du film "Alien" en UHD à venir par exemple). Avoir l'option HDR10+ sur son disque bluray UHD 4k et ne pas pouvoir l'afficher à cause du lecteur serait vraiment idiot. Je compte sur Sony pour annoncer la bonne nouvelle d'une mise à jour HDR10+ pour pouvoir acheter ce nouveau lecteur.

SonyCenter said:
Il est encore trop tôt pour se prononcer quant à une éventuelle mise à jour. Mais il est fort probable que Sony adapte ce lecteur au HDR10+, car l'intérêt est aussi de profiter de tous les formats de qualité d'image. Nous adapterons la fiche technique du X800M2 au moment ou les informations nous parviennent.

Basically a guy asking Sony in the Youtube comments if they may support HDR10+.

Translation of Sony's reply:
SonyCenter said:
It is still too early to tell about a possible update. But it is highly possible that Sony will add HDR10+ support to this player[...]. We will adjust the technical data sheet of the X800M2 when we get more information.

This is out in the US now. Anyone know when we might be able to expect them over here?

Not sure if a month on anyone knows when this will be released in the UK?

I have got one from Amazon Germany arrived yesterday haven't had time to check it out apart from switching it on and doing update. Will post more later

So far very pleased with the UBP X800M2 from Germany very much like the X700 but nice build quality. Sadly still have to manually turn Dolby vision off and on Quiet in operation apps work well this being for the German market no iPlayer. Very happy

Great, thanks for the thoughts. I am waiting on a BD/DVD region-free version of this player to appear on Amazon UK and then I will immediately buy it. Have a bunch of SACDs so need a Sony player (as I understand), and the X700 build quality is just too cheap and the transport too noisy and I'd rather spend a bit more for something more robust that means I won't need to connect another unit.

Of course if there's an easy way to do a region hack on the X800 M2 myself I'll do that and just get a model like you from Germany.

Reading AVS I understand the X800 M2 still does have some freezing issues, perhaps on layer changes, like the X700 - but as long as it is just occasional I can live with that. Guess we'll keep on waiting to see when they arrive.

Amazon are also listing a region free version from TPS for £450, delivery stated as August 7th - but we'll see. I have one ordered.

After reading some of the initial reviews I'm a bit surprised about the player forcing you to manually switching on and off DV in the settings when going from discs with DV to HDR10 and back to DV. It's a brand new player, it should do this automatically.

I'm looking for something DV-compatible to replace my Panasonic DMP-UB900 for my bedroom but this doesn't seem to cut it unfortunately. My trusty region free Oppo UDP-203 will remain as the main player in the living room for an unforeseeable future I reckon. :)

Not sure how Sony are on updating their players - if they correct this I'm interested.

Player arrived this afternoon from Amazon (with multiregion mod). First impressions are excellent. It's a good, heavy, solid unit (though the power/eject buttons on the front panel do feel slightly cheap for the money). It's beautifully quiet, fast and the UI is reasonably slick especially after having been stuck using an Xbox One for 18 months. I left Dolby Vision on as I expect most of my UHD discs have that, and obviously it doesn't make any difference for BD and DVD playback. In time I'll review that as I work through the UHD BD collection.

The 4K upscaling is interesting - Chernobyl which is a 1080 25 interlaced disc gets upscaled and deinterlaced to UHD 50p; DVDs likewise. I turned this off initially and let my LG 55E6 do the upscaling but I think DVDs especially look marginally better with the disc doing the job, especially as I have all the LG processing disabled.

I still can't quite get over how crap DVDs look on today's TVs when I remember marvelling at their sharpness on a CRT!

Only 1 main complaint - the remote is almost identical in size, shape and button layout to the one for the Sony ST5000 sound bar - at a glace only the Netflix button distinguishes it! I predict confusion..

Oh and there's a Sony voucher to get a Bohemian Rhapsody UHD in the box which I wasn't expecting.

Player arrived this afternoon from Amazon (with multiregion mod). First impressions are excellent. It's a good, heavy, solid unit (though the power/eject buttons on the front panel do feel slightly cheap for the money). It's beautifully quiet, fast and the UI is reasonably slick especially after having been stuck using an Xbox One for 18 months. I left Dolby Vision on as I expect most of my UHD discs have that, and obviously it doesn't make any difference for BD and DVD playback. In time I'll review that as I work through the UHD BD collection.

The 4K upscaling is interesting - Chernobyl which is a 1080 25 interlaced disc gets upscaled and deinterlaced to UHD 50p; DVDs likewise. I turned this off initially and let my LG 55E6 do the upscaling but I think DVDs especially look marginally better with the disc doing the job, especially as I have all the LG processing disabled.

I still can't quite get over how crap DVDs look on today's TVs when I remember marvelling at their sharpness on a CRT!

Only 1 main complaint - the remote is almost identical in size, shape and button layout to the one for the Sony ST5000 sound bar - at a glace only the Netflix button distinguishes it! I predict confusion..

Oh and there's a Sony voucher to get a Bohemian Rhapsody UHD in the box which I wasn't expecting.

Review here,have a look at about 7min 15sec,it's about keeping Dolby Vision on all the time,some good advice as why not to :)

Review here,have a look at about 7min 15sec,it's about keeping Dolby Vision on all the time,some good advice as why not to :)
All I saw is that 'they will be bright and overblown' which on my X700 I have never found to be the case. Only case I could put against forced DV on blu-rays is that on some discs ths will enhance/push forward grain due to possibly increased contrast levels.

Just picked up one of these to replace an x700. Much better build, cleaner interface and quieter. Well worth the 100 premium to me.

Does anyone know the exact spot where the remote sensor is please the manual says behind the IR logo on the flap but I have tried the eye sensor all across the front but can’t get it to work anywhere 🤔 thanks

FYI folks, if you’re having issues with your ethernet connection, set up the ‘Wired’ connection manually and disable the IPV6 option completely. Set the rest to auto, or whatever your preferences are, and things should work as expected. You’re welcome. 😁👍

Does anyone know the exact spot where the remote sensor is please the manual says behind the IR logo on the flap but I have tried the eye sensor all across the front but can’t get it to work anywhere 🤔 thanks

I slid the front of the remote along the front of the player, in the recess behind the flap, whilst pressing buttons, and deduced that the IR receiver is within the last inch on the right hand side. Hope this helps. 👍

A674B8C2-D7EB-4FCC-8917-95D628EBE4F9.jpeg

I slid the front of the remote along the front of the player, in the recess behind the flap, whilst pressing buttons, and deduced that the IR receiver is within the last inch on the right hand side. Hope this helps. 👍

View attachment 1266513
excellent thanks, it's where it says it should be then, and i thought it would be, but must not like my IR eyes! thanks

I have seen some reports (e.g. Vincent Teoh) that Dolby Vision on the AG9 isnt as good as on other OLEDs and that could be becasue the Sony uses a player led profile. Is there any evidence that a Sony UHD player works any better with a Sony TV than other manufacturers implementations?

Basically my question is are there any DV sources (e.g. bluray player) that are better than an Apple TV 4k - which I find is sometimes dim with DV dark scenes on my Sony ZD9.

Last edited:
Is there no way to add any further apps to this player other than Netflix, YouTube and prime? Such as Disney+?

Or do we have to hope that the app comes as a firmware update from Sony?

I can’t see any way, guess we’ll have to wait and hope... 😕

All I saw is that 'they will be bright and overblown' which on my X700 I have never found to be the case. Only case I could put against forced DV on blu-rays is that on some discs ths will enhance/push forward grain due to possibly increased contrast levels.

I was watching Ex Machina the other day and just couldn't get the av sync right no matter what I did. Ultimately using a combo of the player and the sound bar I reached a compromise but it was killing me as to why this had been so tough so sort.

A few days later I realised I had the player in DV output mode and sure enough Ex Machina is not a DV disk. Disabling DV output the audio sync issues were straight up fixed. Yet another reason to care about this setting sadly...

Just wanted to share that I performed the RattleByte multi-region mod, today.

Just having had upgraded to my first 4k TV in December, I decided on this 4k-BR-player and simply forgot to think about multi-region when I bought it.
I enjoyed this Sony very much and when I looked into multi-region options, I thought that €450+ for a multi-region UBP X-800m2 compared to me paying €220 at the time, would be quite steep. So a few days ago I went for it, paid €49 for the mod kit and thought: the player worked fine for 4 months, so to hell with the warranty.

It was a challenge, since I am not a micro-soldering expert, but it worked out fine. I am very pleased and it was quite satisfying to do. I wouldn‘t say that it‘s super easy, but on a scale of 1 to 5, it‘s a 3 to me. With downloading and installing the special Firmware after the mod, which you will only have to once and then it‘s back to standard FW-updates, it took me 2 1/2 hours. I‘d say, that it will take you an hour if you have done micro-soldering before.

As far as I can tell, the modded X-800s you can buy, all work the same way as mine. For DVDs there is nothing to do. Only for BR region change you will have to push one button on the original or universal rc (yellow, blue or red for A,B or C) when the unit is off, after which it will turn itself on with the new region. It will not forget the region when unplugged. Firmware updates work in the same way as before the mod. No special FW needed after the mod.

And if you like, you could always remove the mod later. Not sure why, though.🙃

For those who don‘t mind fiddling a bit, I can recommend it. It can save you €200 if you don‘t mind loosing the warranty.

Last edited:
I think i'm about to order one of these. Just read a couple of reviews though saying it won't play UHD discs as its an upscaler to 4k, not native. That is utter bull cr@p I assume as everything else i've read seems to state it will play pretty much everything. I want to replace my Panasonic UHD & Pioneer SACD / DVD-A with one device to free up some inputs on my receiver. I was waiting on PS5 to come out to solve my issue but the spec seems pants for disc capabilities (can't even do DV or Atmos by looks of it)

I think i'm about to order one of these. Just read a couple of reviews though saying it won't play UHD discs as its an upscaler to 4k, not native. That is utter bull cr@p I assume as everything else i've read seems to state it will play pretty much everything. I want to replace my Panasonic UHD & Pioneer SACD / DVD-A with one device to free up some inputs on my receiver. I was waiting on PS5 to come out to solve my issue but the spec seems pants for disc capabilities (can't even do DV or Atmos by looks of it)
It definitely plays natively plays 4k UHD disc.
Great player for the money apart from having to manually switch Dolby Vision on or off. But aside from that slight flaw it's picture quality and sound are great (and I came from an Oppo 203).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom