2019 SM/OLED models June Firmware Update -Version 04.80.02/03

marcd5123

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks LG has released another new Firmware Update for our 2019 SM Panals.

Personally I highly recommend to only do any firmware updates the old fashioned manual way using a USB Flash Drive/stick formated to FAT32 and follow the very simple instructions.

By all means you can do it via OTA but even with a very good WiFi connection DONT DO IT THIS WAY!!!!

You have much/far higher chances of software corruption, brick your TV and or WiFi signal dropping. :thumbsup:

SW File(Version 04.80.02)

1. Improvement
1) Apple AirPlay improvements

Last edited:
Interesting. Does the TV not download and then check the file checksums etc before trying to do an update OTA?

Interesting. Does the TV not download and then check the file checksums etc before trying to do an update OTA?

@safcsat Well this is what you would think it should be doing to prevent such matters !. However reading past threads/posts folks have had odd..strange things happen after a OTA updates to be honest .

Most of the time "should" be fine with OTA updates but do you want to be that selected few or that one time you trust a OTA and then bang your TV loops when it restarts or just hangs on LG splash screen . After reading some posts on this in the past were folks have reported issues or in some cases bricked a TV I certainly dont want to take that chance with my TV nope .Each to their own at the end of the day .

For the sake of a 10min excessive jump on LG site download the file just under 1GB ,flash a USB 3 drive to FAT32 file system its so easy and simple to do realy is . When you update the TV not only is it safer its peace of mind for me anyway and also it installs the file faster .:thumbsup:

What I find annoying about the whole software update process on LG TVs is that very shortly I'll start to get nagging messages about the new update, and unless you dismiss them quickly enough, the update is started in background. I don't want to do any software updates at present, because if it goes wrong, or there's a power cut, etc. I could end-up with a bricked TV that I can't get fixed easily. Moreover, I don't need the fix listed as I don't use Airplay. According to LG, when you say 'NO' to an update, you actually mean 'YES'. My TV is nice and stable at present. I want it to stay that way.

Clem

I totally agree with you guys, also i don't get why they don't share a more detailed changelog? I mean i would love to see more detailed information on what's changing.

Well I updated my TV yesterday doing the "old fashioned way" which is always best and works a dream. Watched TV all last night from streaming to freeview not a single problem. If I notice anything or any suttle changes I will. Post my findings. :lesson:

Mine as of yesterday. Manual update before and after.

Remember folks that all OTA updates are done in stages staggered over time and regions. So it could be days or weeks before you get a notification about the firmware update. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• _20200604_172256.JPG
    _20200604_172256.JPG
    274.3 KB · Views: 569
  • _20200604_172240.JPG
    _20200604_172240.JPG
    255.8 KB · Views: 578
04.80.03 - probably June 2020
  • WebOS version updated to v4.8.0-52203
  • The device codec capability configuration for the EAC3 codec changed from 6 channels to 8 channels.
  • The list of CA certificates was updated.
  • Media server 8K video playback support added.
  • The max size of the saved EPG data was increased (size of the volume increased by 10MB).
  • Airplay application was added to the list of apps that are kept alive.
  • Built-In App-Updates:
  • WebOS Browser App (Chromium) updated (internal version didn't change).
  • LG Advertisement App updated.
  • Firmware updates of the following modules:
  • Audio DSP

Hi All.... does anyone know if the WebOS update 4.80.03 fixes the MHEG issue ? .... if not, don't think it's worth the hassle and LG certainly won't be bothered about afterservice !!

You won’t get the option to ignore the nagging update messages unless you disconnect your TV from the ‘Net. There’s a missing menu option in the TV menus, something along the lines of “Don’t prompt if new updates available”. I’ve raised a VOC with LG about this. If I don’t want to update the firmware on my property I don’t want to be continually nagged to do so.

Clem

Hi @51Sqn , This is very strange were is the 4.80.03 update?? This must be not on the UK 🇬🇧 site. I have asked the previous member @rbej were he got that information from still awaiting a reply.

As far as I can see SW File(Version 04.80.02) Detailed applicable model list : Please check with reference Tab exactly on the LG UK 🇬🇧 Site so 🤔🙄. This is dated 01/06/2020

Anyone care to comment or is this maybe a "trol" situation I hate to say. :thumbsdow

Might be worth holding off updating to .02 if .03 is due, unless there’s some sort of regional aspect to the release. That, or .03 fixes a bug/bugs in .02.

Clem

@Clem_Dye Hi buddy, Iv had a look my self and yes it's their under the Korean site. Intresting.. This could mean LG are just testing out this particular update on thier region only for the mean time. And yes it's only for the C9 at the moment or the Korean C9 model that is.

So I recon this update. 03 may hit the UK/EU shores this month maybe mmmm... Looks like a pretty decent update.

So far my TV is running the. 02 update for a sevral days now and not had any issues what so ever. :thumbsup:

This firmware also fixes the eARC PCM bug meaning you’ll still get HDMI 2.1 features and surround sound when using the new consoles plugged directly into the TV.

@Broken Hope we can only keep our fingers crossed 🤞 and just hope LG makes. 03 firmware avalable in general to all models soon their seems to be quite a packed update with. 03. :thumbsup:

02. firmware is on B9, 03. firmware is on C9. Changelog is the same on both models.

Yeah the B9 is usually a slightly lower version number, it’s the same firmware though.

However the 03. Firmware is different from the 02 software I'm not sure why the above member stated the "change log" is the same its clearly not.

The 02 firmware only carries the Apple Air play update and the 03 firmware seems to cover quite a bit more.

So here's hoping they do forward the 03 firmware to all 2019 Nano & OLED owners I own a 55SM8600 my self . I'm. Pretty sure LG could be just testing out the 03 firmware in Korea for now and possibly farward that 03 to the rest of us at some point. Oddly enough I have a feeling that they may acutally rename the 03 update to a whole completely different firmware number for UK/EU models. :thumbsdow

They are the same update, LG’s release notes are never complete.
The .02 update will have the same eARC fix.

Compare the firmware releases of the B9 and C9 the B9 is almost always a slighter lower version number, that doesn’t mean it’s missing features or fixes.

They are the same update, LG’s release notes are never complete.
The .02 update will have the same eARC fix.

Compare the firmware releases of the B9 and C9 the B9 is almost always a slighter lower version number, that doesn’t mean it’s missing features or fixes.

+1

.02 for B9 = .03 for C9

C9 65 - no update for me and can't see it on LG site?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom