2019 SM/OLED models June Firmware Update -Version 04.80.02/03

Done and dusted - no issues, still no Dolby Atmos on Disney though . .

That has nothing to do with the software or LG. Disney are currently capping their bandwidth in the EU due to the COVID=19 lockdown, meaning that you'll not get Atmos in association with the Disney+ service on any platform until after Disney resume normal services.

Last edited:
I think that I’ve missed something here. What’s the deal with update breaking ARC? As for updates via USB or OTA, there must be a checksum on the file, and if it fails, the update is cancelled. Using the USB method you can use tools like diff to check that files have been copied correctly, and the -t option on tools like unzip will check the integrity of the zip archive. Is this update one to avoid? My TV hasn’t started nagging me about it yet, so I plan on leaving well alone for now anyway, but any update that stops the ARC connection delivering 5.1 audio should be reported to LG, surely?

Clem

Hi Folks just to be clear on this I installed and updated my 2019 55SM8600 1st of June 2019 the day the firmware update was made available on the LG UK Surport page using the very safe method of using a USB 32GB Flash drive formatted to FAT32.

Including today I have had that update SW File(Version 04.80.02) installed up and running on my TV without any issues problems what so ever. For almost 2 weeks now.

Reports regarding "ARC Breaks"... Must be limited to certain models.

I use daily a Denon 2015 X4100W linked to my TV using a Atlas Hyper HDMI Cable and have had absolutely no issues what so ever with any sound using HDMI ARC method.

I have watched both Alex Rider 4K on Prime Video in DD+ works a dream.. I am now currently watching 13 Reasons Season 4 on Netlfix again in DD+ and no problems.

I have tried Toy Story 4 on Disney+ again that's in Dolby Atmos/DD+ again no issues what so ever.

Their is absolutely nothing wrong with this update. Can folks please refrain from so called "scare mongering" other members about this update. If you have a issue or a particular problem fair enough but this does not mean everyone else will have that same said issue.

Please think 🤔 a little first before assuming that if you have that said issue everyone else must have it. This is clearly not the case and I am 1 example of that. This may well be still an issue with certain particular models at the moment. It may well be an eARC issue rather than a ARC issue.

Remember this firmware covers 2019 SM and OLED models.

Stay safe people and just stop think a little more before shouting out on the forum scaring others. :clap:

@marcd5123 : From what I can make out from the posts here, the issue about ARC refers to the loss of LG TVs being able to route multichannel audio from an HDMI input to the ARC port, not delivering multichannel audio from inbuilt services, after applying the .02 update. Your post, extolling the virtues of the update, seems to miss that, if I read it correctly. Do you get multichannel audio via a device connected to an HDMI port on your TV via ARC? Many of us, me included, rely on that feature, so if the update breaks that that’s extremely bad news, especially as it clearly worked on the older firmware releases.

Clem

Hi @Clem_Dye buddy,

I watch all my Netflix, Prime Video and Disney+ and Britbox content using an Amazon 4K Firestick. Everyday have done so because its CPU prossesing and handling of Dolby Vision is far superior to the In built internal LG apps and even HDR10 preforms noticeably better using Amazon 4K Firestick.

So an answer to your question stands and my statement stands. As yes the 4K Firestick is connected to my TV and HDMI Deep Colour is enabled so this most certainly counts as an device connected to the TV outside of using my Denon AMP . :thumbsup:

Also to strengthen up or backup my statement I have a external USB 3 500GB HDD that I playback all my 4K Ultra-HD HDR films on a weekly basis TV decodes all MKV films 100% perfectly and the TV outputs all DD+ and DTS signals perfectly also using the ARC link from my TV to my Denon X4100W AMP with this update.

Watching Alex Rider in 4K HDR10 recently Prime Video DD+ soundtrack was absolutely fantastic again using 4K Firestick with HDMI ARC using my Denon X4100W no problems what so ever and no drop outs at all.

Last edited:
Same here. I don't trust OTA updates for any of my kit.

Clem

Imagine updating firmware on the £25,000 Trinnov Altitude 32 and sitting there whilst it's doing update.. I'd put a pair of adult nappy on before..

Probably use a UPS on such an expensive item, I've had one item bricked as power failed during update process.

Downloading this firmware.

@marcd5123 : From what I can make out from the posts here, the issue about ARC refers to the loss of LG TVs being able to route multichannel audio from an HDMI input to the ARC port, not delivering multichannel audio from inbuilt services, after applying the .02 update. Your post, extolling the virtues of the update, seems to miss that, if I read it correctly. Do you get multichannel audio via a device connected to an HDMI port on your TV via ARC? Many of us, me included, rely on that feature, so if the update breaks that that’s extremely bad news, especially as it clearly worked on the older firmware releases.

Clem

The TVs never had the ability to passthrough multichannel PCM and out using eARC. This update is supposed to rectify this long standing issue.

The ARC issue associated with the update was reported here:

This update *ucked up my ARC between Apple TV 4K > TV > Yamaha V677.

Now I only get PCM 2.1 using Netflix/Prime/Infuse.

On Apple TV+, like Defending Jacob it shows DD+.

Before this update everything were fine. I was getting DD5.1 using all apps in ATV.

It doesn't however actually relate which version was aplied or which TV it effected.

Hi @Clem_Dye buddy,

I watch all my Netflix, Prime Video and Disney+ and Britbox content using an Amazon 4K Firestick. Everyday have done so because its CPU prossesing and handling of Dolby Vision is far superior to the In built internal LG apps and even HDR10 preforms noticeably better using Amazon 4K Firestick.

So an answer to your question stands and my statement stands. As yes the 4K Firestick is connected to my TV and HDMI Deep Colour is enabled so this most certainly counts as an device connected to the TV outside of using my Denon AMP . :thumbsup:

Also to strengthen up or backup my statement I have a external USB 3 500GB HDD that I playback all my 4K Ultra-HD HDR films on a weekly basis TV decodes all MKV films 100% perfectly and the TV outputs all DD+ and DTS signals perfectly also using the ARC link from my TV to my Denon X4100W AMP with this update.

Dolby Vision is metadata and the Firestick merely conveys this with the digital video data for the TV to process. Your Firestick isn't actually processing the video and the signal you get on the TV will be the exact same data as you'd have accessed via Netflix had you'd used the app on the TV to access it.

Hi @dante01 ...nope unfortunately thats incorrect. I was told by LG Home ambassador that I meet in John Lewis last year and I put that very question my self to him and stated why the 4K Firestick Dolby Vision was so much brighter and colour saturation was higher. I was also stunned. He told me that acutally the 4K Firestick does the decoding inboard instead of the TV thus freeing up resources a the TV had to do is display the image. Which of you think about it makes scene hence the very difference in picture images.

Anyways....

I have done plenty of comparisons with videos clips with this on other threads anyhow to backup this case. I don't want to drift off the case with this thread and stay with the subject matter. :thumbsup:

Hi @Clem_Dye buddy,

Watching Alex Rider in 4K HDR10 recently Prime Video DD+ soundtrack was absolutely fantastic again using 4K Firestick with HDMI ARC using my Denon X4100W no problems what so ever and no drop outs at all.
Interesting - watching a film on the LG native Disney app that claims to be Atmos with eArc set to passthrough to my Denon X6500 does not show as Atmos on the amp. However an Atmos film on native LG Netflix does ?

Interesting - watching a film on the LG native Disney app that claims to be Atmos with eArc set to passthrough to my Denon X6500 does not show as Atmos on the amp. However an Atmos film on native LG Netflix does ?

If you mean by shows as Atmos that the description still indicates that the title includes Atmos then that is normal. The fact of the matter is that regardless of what you are told the audio is, you will not get Atmos from Disney while they are capping their bandwidth. They themselves state this.

Disney simply haven't ammended the descriptions of the audio and titles that would have ordinarilly had an Atmos soundtrack are still being described as such via the Disney menus and interface.

Netflix is a different service and you can still get Atmos in association with Netflix. The same is true of other streaming services such as Apple TV+ and the one Amazon title that includes Atmos.

There's nothing wrong with the Disney app or the service onboard the LG TVs. You simply don't get Atmos in association with Disney+ because Disney are capping their bandwidth within the EU. You will get Atmos once Disney stop capping their bandwidth. When Disney will get around to doing this is a question someone asked them. The response was that this will go on for as long as there's a COVID-19 problem in the EU.

Last edited:
Am I right in thinking they've pulled this update from the TV over internet?

I know it's still on the LG site

The TVs never had the ability to passthrough multichannel PCM and out using eARC. This update is supposed to rectify this long standing issue.

The ARC issue associated with the update was reported here:

It doesn't however actually relate which version was aplied or which TV it effected.

That issue is specific to the Apple TV and resolved by telling it to output in DD 5.1, the update isn’t messing up ARC.

Okay did some homework my self and checked a few things out.

With Amazon Prime Videos only Dolby Atmos soundtrack series Jack Ryan it shows up as Dolby Atmos.

If I try Toy Story 4 Via Disney+ I get Atmos Surround /Sound Sound then States DD+... So not sure what to take from that.

If I gi into Netlfix Built in app will state Atmos and AMP will also show Atmos when played back.

I have attached a load of photos to share.

This is based with new 02. Firmware installed on my 2019 55SM8600 2 weeks ago.

To note Dolby Atmos is surported via the 4K Firestick with Prime Video only with only 1 sodding series. Unfortunately Netlfix app via firestick is not and that a software issues that I wish Amazon would sort out.. But being Amazon they won't bother. AHHHH

I used Disney + app via the 4K Firestick which yes shows Atmos but won't clearly show Atmos as such this is where it gets a little confusing. 😕🤔. Pictures based on my 2015 Denon X4100W AV AMP.

Attachments

• _20200612_205706.JPG
    _20200612_205706.JPG
    255.7 KB · Views: 94
  • _20200612_205638.JPG
    _20200612_205638.JPG
    165.4 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC_0264.JPG
    DSC_0264.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC_0263.JPG
    DSC_0263.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC_0261.JPG
    DSC_0261.JPG
    165.4 KB · Views: 87
Just reporting about my issue with this update:

I’ve solved it by changing a setting on ATV4K, forcing DD5.1. This update changed the behavior of ARC somehow.

PLEASE stop attempting to get Atmos via Disney+. Regardless of whatever the application indication or the platform you are using to access it, there is no Atmos audio via Disney+ in the EU. AS I've already explained, this is due to Disney capping their bandwidth because of the COVID-19 lockdown.

YOU CANNOT CURRENTLY GET ATMOS VIA DISNEY+

In the meantime and until Disney reinstate their bandwidth, the best you'll get in association with Disney+ will be DD+. THere is no issue associated with passing Atmos through the TV and you are not getting Atmos because of the aforementioned bandwidth capping by Disney.

Note that all the streaming services all use Dolby Digital Plus and if Atmos is available then the associated metadata would be packaged with the DD+ audio. THis is why an AV receiver indicates Atmos and DD=. THe DD+ aspect is the format of the audio the metadata was conveyed with and the format determineds the quality of the audio. You can also get Atmos in conjunction with TrueHD or with multichannel PCM if the source device uses Dolby MAT. Also note that DD+ inclusive of Atmos metadata could be conveyed via the TV's conventional ARC implimentation and doesn't need eARC. You only need eARC in relation to HD audio formats such as TRueHD or if wanting to convey multichannel PCM data.

Last edited:
My TV started nagging me last night about the .02 update. I suppose that I’ll have to tackle it at some point. I have it ready on USB stick.

Clem

Any reasons not to update, aside from some reported audio issues? Got mine ready on USB.

RE: version 04.80.03 on a C9

I've tried to repeatedly install the update via several different USB thumb drives and keep getting the same message that this version cannot be applied to this TV. The TV recognises the updates presence on the flash drive and does start the update, but the installation process doesn't complete before the aforementioned issue is reported by the TV . I'm using an Apple Mac (OSX 10.15) to download the file via Safari before then unzipping it and transfering it onto the flash drive into a folder namecd LG_DTV. The drives are all FAT32 formatted.

by default 2020-06-14 at 16.31.02.png

by default 2020-06-14 at 16.31.31.png

by default 2020-06-14 at 16.32.18.png

by default 2020-06-14 at 16.32.38.png

Looks as though I'll just have to wait until the update becomes available to access by the TV via LG's servers?

Last edited:
This update *ucked up my ARC between Apple TV 4K > TV > Yamaha V677.

Now I only get PCM 2.1 using Netflix/Prime/Infuse.

On Apple TV+, like Defending Jacob it shows DD+.

Before this update everything were fine. I was getting DD5.1 using all apps in ATV.
Out of curiosity, what LG TV do you have?

Clem

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom