2019 SM/OLED models June Firmware Update -Version 04.80.02/03

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
The changelog for the .02 & .03 software on the LG UK site is the same in terms of improvements/enhancements. It’s annoying to have to update if you don’t actually need what’s on offer.

Clem

dante01

Distinguished Member
The update actually includes elements not listed within the changelog.

04.80.03:

OFFICIAL CHANGE LOG:
  • Apple AirPlay function improvement

The rest of the changes mentioned below are UNOFFICIAL, extracted from the firmware itself:
  • WebOS version updated to v4.8.0-52203
  • The device codec capability configuration for the EAC3 codec changed from 6 channels to 8 channels.
  • The device codec capability configuration (EDID) for the LPCM codec changed from 2 channels to 8 channels, so the 2019 models can Pass-Trough multi-channel PCM audio via eARC
  • The list of CA certificates was updated.
  • Media server 8K video playback support added.
  • The max size of the saved EPG data was increased (size of the volume increased by 10MB).
  • Airplay application was added to the list of apps that are kept alive.

Built-In App-Updates:
  • WebOS Browser App (Chromium) updated (internal version didn't change).
  • LG Advertisement App updated

Last edited:

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
@dante01 : I prepare the updates on my Mac using a 1GB USB2 thumb drive that I keep just for the purpose. I download the archive using Chrome, then use Disk Utility to erase the thumb drive, leaving it FAT32 format. Then, via terminal I use unzip to unpack the zip archive. I make the LG_DTV directory on the USB drive (mkdir) then copy the unpacked update using cp into the right place. I then eject the USB stick, then load it a second time. I get rid of all of the superfluous OSX files using rm (stuff like ._*) and rmdir to remove directories such as .fs*. It’s not possible to to remove the .Spotlightv100 directory. Once tidied, I then use diff to compare the update that’s on the Mac with that which is on the USB drive. If everything is OK I’m as confident as I can be that the update is not corrupted, and I then apply the update on the TV. Touch wood, this method, although a bit more labour intensive, hasn’t failed me yet.

Clem

marcd5123

Hi @dante01 How bizzare! 🤔. Well you have definitely downloaded it correctly and have placed the file correctly on a use stick. It simply should work. Their either is a particular problem with the file it self or your mainboard on your C9 has an issue. Like you said when your TV gets the OTA update if that refuses the same way then you have a serious problem with the Main Board on your C9.

I have an idea 💡 you could try it's out the box idea but you have nothing to lose at this stage.

Now LG does state to format USB flash drive to FAT32 however I have my self updated my previous 2017 Nano SJ model using NTFS file system and it workes just the same.

So why not try one last time format the flash drive and this time use the NTFS file system and just copy the EPK file to the ussal LG_DTV subfolder. Worth a shot. I know you are all screaming "won't make a difference"... However I work my self as a IT Engineer at a local college and we always have to think 🤔 out the box all the time well you do with any form of electronics & IT equipment.

Give it ago.. And good luck 🤞 :thumbsup:

dante01

Distinguished Member
I haven't the option to format the drives using NTFS on a Mac without buying additional software/utilities that would facilitate this. Apple Mac OS X doesn't natively include the ability to create NTFS formatted volumes.

Last edited:

MrMister111

On the LG website 65SM8050PLC shows no firmware available. Is it on the latest firmware already?

Does anyone have this model? It states a 2020 NanoCell model. On a side not does this model have the Apple TV app and Airplay 2?

Thanks

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
@dante01 : The nuclear option would be to try a factory reset, with all the grief that that will entail. Before re-applying any of your settings, try the update again and see what happens. Alternatively, perhaps someone here with a Windows PC could prepare the update for you, just in case your Mac is doing something odd. That, or talk to LG.

Clem

dante01

Distinguished Member
@dante01 : The nuclear option would be to try a factory reset, with all the grief that that will entail. Before re-applying any of your settings, try the update again and see what happens. Alternatively, perhaps someone here with a Windows PC could prepare the update for you, just in case your Mac is doing something odd. That, or talk to LG.

Clem
or I could simply wait for the over the air update. I've never experienced any issues with OTA updates previously with this TV and I'm in no rush to update the TV.

Last edited:

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Except that the update supposedly carries new certificates, which, if not updated, will, at some point cause problems (I presume with apps., as much as anything else), so it's not one that can be avoided in the long term, I think. I'll be trying the update via USB stick later on this week, all being well. There's obviously no real difference between the two update methods -- they either work, or they don't -- but the USB version has the benefit of being entirely 'local' -- no reliance on any external systems.

Clem

Broken Hope

RE: version 04.80.03 on a C9

I've tried to repeatedly install the update via several different USB thumb drives and keep getting the same message that this version cannot be applied to this TV. The TV recognises the updates presence on the flash drive and does start the update, but the installation process doesn't complete before the aforementioned issue is reported by the TV . I'm using an Apple Mac (OSX 10.15) to download the file via Safari before then unzipping it and transfering it onto the flash drive into a folder namecd LG_DTV. The drives are all FAT32 formatted.

View attachment 1317838

View attachment 1317839

View attachment 1317840

View attachment 1317842

Looks as though I'll just have to wait until the update becomes available to access by the TV via LG's servers?
Odd that you're having issues, I use a Mac Mini with Catalina and updated my C9 over USB the other day without any issues.

dante01

Distinguished Member
SUCESS!

All I can suggest is that the TV is very temperamental when it comes to the flash drive you use. I tried again with yet another drive this morning and the update was this time executed without a hitch.

Last edited:

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Well, I did the dance and updated the firmware via USB stick, and ran into issues with apps., post update. When I did the last update to 4.71.25 I lost DD5.1 audio from the Amazon Video and NowTV apps., and the TV needed a power reset, by pulling mains power. This time, not so bad, only the NowTV app. broke, so again, I had to pull the mains power. This shouldn't be necessary. I suspect that as I haven't seen this problem reported elsewhere it's my particular TV that's having the issue (like the occasional random power off). Fingers crossed that nothing else is broken.

Clem

marcd5123

@Clem_Dye hey buddy... Well oddly enough I have had now and then a few times the TV will just out the blue restart it self. However I had the exact same issues with my 2017 SJ Nano models.

At the end of the day these TVs are essentially a computer and have more or less the same hardware as a PC. So I kinda used to it my self as I work as a IT support engineer at my local college.

Apart from the "now and then" occasional restart out the blue TV had been fingers crossed 🤞 good as gold. My 4K Firestick also tends to freeze up now and then and randomly jams or hangs again its a mini PC running Andriod Os. So I take it with a pinch of salt. Unless it's anything major and constantly restarting and constantly hanging or crashing I won't worry to much.

Theirs always going to be bugs now matter how many updates LG throw out Nano TV or OLED TVs. You should see Sony Andriod Os theirs are even worse compared to Webos and webos is a very stable Os. I know from personal experience owning a few Sony Andriod TVs.

Anyways 🤓 :thumbsup:

DarklordBGD

Novice Member
Hi all,

I got 55SM8500 PLA and since the 04.80.02 update I noticed that the picture has gotten worse.

Also, before the update the picture was perfect. Now on every source and any picture mode there is a very noticeable stutter on movement and trailing. This was not present before and I was really satisfied with the smoothness of the picture. I tried to change many settings and picture options but its there and very noticeable.

Did anyone notice the same after the update?

Thanks

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
No, nothing like that chez moi, just the post update loss of DD5.1 audio that I reported. I suggest that you raise this with LG. It could be a hardware issue. Do pull mains power from the set for a good 15 minutes first. Secondly, try a factory reset. If neither of those help, then calling LG is your only option, unless the set is new and you have the option to return it to the supplier.

marcd5123

Hi @DarklordBGD Iv got a 55SM8600 and applied that update the day it came out,now been a month and my TV works like a dream.

Definitely try unplug option leave it for a few hours it drains the internal ROM of the TV completely.

Failing that do a complete "factory reset". If the problem still persists then you definitely need to contract your retailer if its under warranty or if not LG but your retailer is always the first port of call you have a hardware problem unfortunately.

DarklordBGD

Novice Member
Thanks Clem_Dye and marcd5123.

I will try the method of unplugging. Its really annoying like it does not process interpolation correctly. Best to describe is that at slightest movement on screen it deactivates TruMotion and Real Cinema.
I have tried every option and combination....

Previously it worked flawlessly.

Now the only perfect image that is shown is when I play a 4k 60fps video.

I will update you on the result.

Regards

marcd5123

@DarklordBGD Hi buddy, Have to say the "factory" reset resly should clear all the issues you have. Be very surprised if you still get the same problems back.

Otherwise you have become very unlikely indeed. Just a very bad coincidence that peace of hardware started to become defective and for some reason doing the firmware update just put extra strain on the TV and made it go funny.. Odd yes werid definitely.

Anyway fingers crossed 🤞 complete factory reset " definitely should do the trick. I have had many times in the past even with mobile phone Andriod updates it never goes 100% to plan and just had to do a factory reset because of all the annoying bugs left behind this does happen alot of the time. Normally when you do a "update" it should just write over the top the previous firmware however just like with a Windows PC or Mobile phone oftern enough theirs always old files or bugs left behind.

I work as an IT engineer at a local college and this happens all the time. These TVs are essentially a computer with a very large screen. They use almost the same hardware.

Anyways good luck :thumbsup:

DarklordBGD

Novice Member
@marcd5123 Hi

Yes I thank you for the assistance.

If I may ask when you say factory reset do you mean the option for reset to initial settings or some deeper service menu option.

I tried reset to initial settings but it did not help...

Thanks,

marcd5123

Hi @DarklordBGD ahh your kidding 😱. Yes iv never used "service menues" my self never needed to.

But yes factory reset if you have done that already then their is most certainly a hardware fault what a bummer for you.

Don't waste anymore time get on the phone to your given retailer and tell them of the issues.

Just as a side note don't bother stating about software updates just keep it simple tell them of your issues. Let them run throw their questions and they probably will ask you "have you got the lastest" software on your TV. Then tell them yes I checked with LG and it does. Keep on the road it seems to be hardware fault. Reason why I say this as soon as you start along the lines of "put this new software on" they may get funny about it even through its their own software.

Just stick to saying the TV has developed this fault and let them ask the questions. This way hopefully they will just acknowledge this and arrange for a swap out or and engineer to come out.

This is from experience if you tell them to much or things they don't need to know you could end up making delays or maters worse . You wsnt it to sound that the TV is at fault.

If you start telling them that it was perfectly 100% before I put the software update on and then you tell them that you put the software update on even through it was LG software they may decide that "you" installed it incorrectly and that they don't cover software under warranty. Just say you have never done a software update on this TV before. Along those lines

You don't have to do this it's just my opinion from years at dealing with retailers and warranty. :thumbsup:

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Given that the OP has no say over what’s in the update, and that he, like all,LG TV owners, are effectively forced to update the software, the issue can only be LG’s to resolve, either cdirectly or indirectly. This isn't the first report of a firmware update on an LG TV causing picture degradation post update. However, some of these changes could be as a result of changes to the functions mentioned, in other words, by design. In theory, it’s possible that the update was corrupt somehow, and has caused this problem. In that case, the next firmware update might correct it. The TruMotion and Real Cinema features are a bit of a dogs’ dinner in my opinion. For me, setting TruMotion to Clear, as I recall works best. I’d be inclined to re-visit these settings before contacting the supplying retailer or LG.

whooshavf

Given that the OP has no say over what’s in the update, and that he, like all,LG TV owners, are effectively forced to update the software, the issue can only be LG’s to resolve, either cdirectly or indirectly. This isn't the first report of a firmware update on an LG TV causing picture degradation post update. However, some of these changes could be as a result of changes to the functions mentioned, in other words, by design. In theory, it’s possible that the update was corrupt somehow, and has caused this problem. In that case, the next firmware update might correct it. The TruMotion and Real Cinema features are a bit of a dogs’ dinner in my opinion. For me, setting TruMotion to Clear, as I recall works best. I’d be inclined to re-visit these settings before contacting the supplying retailer or LG.
Very odd - I don't see any others suffering the same issue as the OP who reported them after updating to the latest firmware - even though they asked if anyone had. Neither are people reporting issues in other groups for LG tvs that I frequent - suppose I could be missing the posts. Odd though that they noticed it only after the ugrade?

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
There was a post somewhere about another LG TV owner seeing degraded PQ after an update. It wasn’t an SM model and there was some question about the origin of the firmware — wrong region, or some such. In any event, I agree that this sounds a bit odd, unless it coincided or exposed a hardware fault that the earlier firmware version was masking/dealing with.

marcd5123

@Clem_Dye hi buddy, I have a sneeky feeling some folks are putting this firmware on but from LG different region. So Yes it will load onto the TV as it matches the specs but different regions have their own specifics.

I have a feeling C9 and maybe some SM owners loaded up the The 02/03 firmware onto a UK model from either the US or Korean LG site and its screwed up their TVs.

For me it's been almost 1 month now scene I put on the 02 firmware on my 55SM8600 and it's been good as gold 🥇. Everything that I use it for works absolutely 100% fine. I keep to the methods iv always used over the years and it's never failed me. :thumbsup:

Just a thought and incredibly risky move to make. :thumbsdow