2019 Rugby World Cup, Japan

Theseus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s finally here! Spectacular opening ceremony and some good matches already! France looking good today, but later this morning there’s a big match between two favourites! All Blacks vs Sprinboks! Televised on ITV.

Last edited:
Great start for Ireland - assuming all goes to plan it’s a QF against the Boks.

Apart from the All Blacks against the Springboks it's been fairly unexciting so far. I missed the Fiji Uruguay game for perhaps the biggest upset. Pick of this weekend's games has to be Wales versus Australia. I don't think members on this Forum are into their rugby.

C'mon Ireland. 🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪
What a great game for a neutral this morning. Japan thoroughly deserved their win with same fantastic defence and discipline, took their try really well. I can see Ireland progressing but Scotland must be shaking in their boots.

Great win for the Wales and good fight by the Aussies to make it close.

Got my breath back now. Great game as always between these two nations and as always been the case just a score between them. First real 'test match' of the tournament and one that didn't disappoint.

Great result for Wales. I have a feeling injuries are going to be our undoing deeper into the tournament.

Will done Wales. Didn't see yesterday's match between Japan and Ireland but from the highlights have no idea why Ireland kicked the ball back to the Japanese team multiple times as if inviting them to run and score. It'll be a tough one against the All Blacks.

All Blacks looking vulnerable: too many mistakes in the last 20 minutes, as well as looking very tired, not a single point scored - poor showing. 3/10

All Blacks looking vulnerable: too many mistakes in the last 20 minutes, as well as looking very tired, not a single point scored - poor showing. 3/10

:rotfl:

Ireland getting it done today.

Ireland won with a far from convincing performance and again wilted badly in the second half. 5 tries but should have been more only for knock ons. Ball was like soap by the looks of it.
Massive improvement needed or quarter finals is as far as they'll get.

Got to agree with Ireland relatively poor performance. Not an easy watch for Joe Schmidt. Some work needed.

Its likely the humidity is taking its toll on the players and the ball. The number of errors and knock-ons from a lot of teams is high. I've been to Japan around this time of year and it can be very sticky and hot, so could well be energy sapping for some players !

Can Scotland do Ireland a favour and beat Japan? We need to take care of Samoa first with a BP win.

IRE never seem to quite cut it at the world cups, Eng vs Argies tomorrow morning (Tasty)

Yep, this time round we peaked a year too early !!
I agree, guess we expected too much from IRE after they have been sublime over recent years.
Still believe the All Blacks are beatable, more so this tournament but their production line is something that keeps producing and producing and producing amazing players.
Oz vs WAL been the best match so far.

Aus v Wales was a proper test match. NZ v SA was also good quality. Hopefully Eng v Arg will be a contest tomorrow. I think England have the best hope of the NH teams. But you're right, All Blacks are beatable, but you need to be at your best to do it !

Aus v Wales was a proper test match. NZ v SA was also good quality. Hopefully Eng v Arg will be a contest tomorrow. I think England have the best hope of the NH teams. But you're right, All Blacks are beatable, but you need to be at your best to do it !
ENG are moving the ball a lot faster this time round, very All Blacks style. NZ/SA was a beast of a match too, totally. All the NH countries have a good chance of progressing deep. NZ don't like playing France or the Italians, they seem to struggle (must be a mind thing) but like you say, you need to more than brilliant to beat the NZ on the day, everything needs to go in your favor.. everything.

I think England have the best hope of the NH teams.
Duw, Duw, boy bach. Go to your room and no supper for you!:)

Enjoyed the SA Italy match today, even though it was one sided it was very enjoyable. Barnes had a really good game as ref but I think Italy were lucky to get away with just one red card for a spear tackle. Big concern for SA is the injury to wonder wing Kolbe who scored a brace of tries.

Mother Nature has intervened in Japan with England v France cancelled, both teams being awarded 2 points. At risk is Scotland v Japan which would be a real shame as it takes away Scotland's chance of progressing to the Quarters.

Although both England and France were through to the Quarters it's done neither team any favours, certainly not England that have not really had a test in the competition and that fact could work against them. Australia will meet them and will certainly want revenge against a top northern hemisphere country and England recent reputation of folding during important games and that lack of intense competition should place the Wallabies as favourites.

If you were France would you really want battle hardened Wales in the Quarters. What a game that was against Fiji. A few years ago Wales would have lost that match, now they are capable of reaching the Final.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom