2019 Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) hits the UK

And therein lies the point re: 'follow the data / science'.

You've followed it and (presumably) believe the Govt shouldn't have allowed / allow foreign travel.

The Government has followed it and decided it should be allowed.

Mr Lundgren revealed a study commissioned from epidemiologists at Yale University's school of public health that indicated that unrestricted travel to some of the most popular holiday destinations would increase hospital admissions by 4%.
(this is pre-variant)

The data / science is completely up for debate and interpretation. And some of it can be completely ignored depending on what people personally believe.
Pre Variant??? lol Completely meaningless study then.

All of a sudden loads of people i know around london (mostly 20-30 year olds) are testing positive. Most were either due to be vaccinated soon or have been very recently. I fear this is everywhere again.......

All of a sudden loads of people i know around london (mostly 20-30 year olds) are testing positive. Most were either due to be vaccinated soon or have been very recently. I fear this is everywhere again.......

Or it's just you're a super spreader :rolleyes:

Last edited:
okkkeeey. Might add people i know but haven't actually met for a while......

Latest data by reported date:
1623406176435.png

So whilst cases rose by ~60% last week is it far from uniformly spread, with 20-29 yr olds relatively rocketing. And not all of them are friends of James!!

On the plus side they have a much lower chance of serious illness and hospitalisation (but still some chance), and are now being vaccinated so will, in time, get under control and assuming vaccines remain effective, decline. But it'll take a few weeks to double-dose.

Meanwhile we can pretty confidently predict cases to surge amongst unvaccinated secondary school age kids especially when they get back after half-term.

Last edited:
Does it matter if they generally aren't ill, and either pass it on to other non-vulnerable groups or those fully vaxxed?

At some point surely 100% of the whole country will have contacted/inhaled covid - the vaccine doesn't stop it getting into your body?

Anyhow, it's time to move on from cases and concentrate on hopsptalisations and breaking down those stats to those unvaccinated/part/fully and we can see the wider picture. If it turns out that a large % of under 30's with covid require hospital, THEN it's an issue solved only be delaying release (maybe going back a stage) and getting those vaccines out.

Don’t worry, we’ve got a ‘world beating’ track and trace system to find them. Oh wait...
Don’t get me started on track and trace! I’ve just endured ten days of daily calls from call handlers reciting a script to me down my mobile while I grunt ok in the appropriate spaces. Completely and utterly pointless.

Don’t get me started on track and trace! I’ve just endured ten days of daily calls from call handlers reciting a script to me down my mobile while I grunt ok in the appropriate spaces. Completely and utterly pointless.
As the recent C4 Dispatches programme showed the outsourced track and trace is ineffective. The callers don’t know where you are and the lack of localised coordination means they can’t verify if you’re actually isolating.

As the recent C4 Dispatches programme showed the outsourced track and trace is ineffective. The callers don’t know where you are and the lack of localised coordination means they can’t verify if you’re actually isolating.
No all they do is ask you if you are isolating. And as they call you on whatever phone number you’ve given you could be anywhere. I’ve also heard accounts of home visits where the official has travelled hundreds of miles to make the check. This should all have been managed by local teams. I admit to being very grumpy at receiving these daily calls. You might just as well have been talking to a robot. Waste of tax payers money.

I see this 'delta' variant is still killing people who have had two vaccine shots. Hmm not so good. It's spreading fast too. 12 who had 2 shots have died from it, not many people but still some, although this all is depending on how they record deaths as they found many had Covid but dies from other causes before.

Yes although unless we completely closed our borders it would have got in anyway just delayed. Would have given us more time to deal with vaccinations.

Not putting the flights from India onto the Red list for three weeks after flights from Pakistan and Bangladesh allowed thousands of passengers from India to arrive into the UK...

‘Tens of thousands of people flew from India to the UK in April – the month it was put on the Government’s travel red list, according to new figures from the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA)

A total of 42,406 passengers travelled to and from the UK and India last month, figures published today by the CAA show.

One air industry source told i that at least two thirds of those passengers were likely to be people arriving into the UK which would be a figure of around 28,000’

42,000 passengers travelled between UK and India in April - the month country was put on red list

I see this 'delta' variant is still killing people who have had two vaccine shots. Hmm not so good. It's spreading fast too. 12 who had 2 shots have died from it, not many people but still some, although this all is depending on how they record deaths as they found many had Covid but dies from other causes before.

We knew this would happen from day 1.

It happened in Israel.

No one ever expected the vaccine to prevent all deaths from covid.

It really doesn't matter, not given the overall efficacy numbers.

The Standard reports that "the majority of (delta) cases are in unvaccinated people"
The Delta variant has caused 42 deaths – 23 in unvaccinated people, seven in people who have had one dose and 12 in people who have had two doses, though many of the latter group are believed to have had underlying health conditions.

However the mortality rate is only currently 0.1 per cent – well below the Kent variant – and only about 2.5 per cent of people with the variant need to go to A&E.
Mortality rate - low - because of the vaccine, or because the variant doesn't kill us, or even because those who would have died of it have already died of the original covid?

Notes that there will be a lag/delay of deaths from delta as deaths happen some time after infection.

That's okay, it's just something I was surprised about on DS as I automatically think that my name alone reveals my gender, let alone my job (most nurses are female, even in ICU). I'm beginning to think I must post in a masculine style.
There is nothing wrong with the way you post. It is a societal problem. Certain jobs, positions are usually associate with men. Usually, eminent surgeon, doctor, etc, people have a cultural problem in associating these terms with women. It is a subconscious problem. It is changing but we still have a long road ahead of us.

Regarding name and profession is hard to tell these days. I know men called Rachel and women called Alexis and very often we don’t the origin of names.

The Standard reports that "the majority of (delta) cases are in unvaccinated people"

Mortality rate - low - because of the vaccine, or because the variant doesn't kill us, or even because those who would have died of it have already died of the original covid?

Notes that there will be a lag/delay of deaths from delta as deaths happen some time after infection.

It's definitely the vaccine showing how highly effective it is.

If we vaccinate the majority of the younger population too we'll end this sooner rather than later.

It's definitely the vaccine showing how highly effective it is.

If we vaccinate the majority of the younger population too we'll end this sooner rather than later.
Hope so. I'm concerned about the 0.1% of people with the DV die from it....that's worrying (one in a thousand) as so many have now been vaccinated twice. Reassuringly it seems the deaths are those with underlying conditions (even if fully vaxxed) and nothing like as many as previous ones, but may mean lockdown extention to protect them, even when vaxxed?

You go from one day full of hope to another dull of dread.

Yes, more info needed on those who died after receiving two doses. How old were these people? Did they have underlying health conditions? Which jab did they have (the AZ takes longer to take effect). When did they contract Covid (how long after they had the jab) etc etc

All questions need to be answered or it's just scaremongering imo

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom