2019 Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) hits the UK

Yes for THEM!

What about the risk they pose to OTHERS?

Without the vaccination they can spread it to more people and create more variants.
Shall we concentrate on dangling and waving the carrot before we bring in the stick eh? At present the under 50's haven't had a sniff of the vaccine so it seems a bit unfair to start talking about punishment until we know how they respond to the invitation to get vaccinated.

What are the ways to avoid a blood clot in general? It’s the mention of them that really worries me and I maintain that even a small chance you could be the unlucky one. I can be active enough to avoid being still for any long periods.
Try this from the NHS

More importantly, if you believe you are risk, stop posting on here and go see a doctor. If you aren’t in a high risk group, relax.

Looking beyond the click bait headline...

‘However, UCL’s report warns: ‘Much like long-term weather forecasts, the ensuing predictions should not be taken too seriously because there is an inherent (although quantified) uncertainty about underlying epidemiological and socio-behavioural variables.’

‘The university’s predictions are a stark contrast to the Office for National Statistics’ (ONS) most recent figures stating that around half of Britons now have antibodies’

UK could reach herd immunity 'within days', say scientists

My comment was more that at least suggesting we may have reached herd immunity now (unlikely) was far less absurd than the suggestion made by the poster than we had reached it in July 2020!

That really is no life and your probably are at more risk staying at home than having a vaccine, both with the effects on your physical and mental health. Whilst I understand anxiety and the effect that has on rationality and choices I do think you need to think carefully. The risk is tiny really really tiny, you might even get offered another vaccine. If you have concerns speak to someone get some support but please do something.
I don’t want to continually seem pessimistic but it’s no life when you compare it to what most people perceive as ‘normal’ life & what it was like before covid. When you compare it to what life’s been like since covid and what’s been ‘normal’ for me it’s not that different.

Physical health can help mental health, my mental health is shot to pieces so planning on trying to get back to better physical health and having the time to do it away from the worry of what’s happening in these times in the outside world will help.

I’ve had lots of concerns over the last year regarding covid, my own medications and then having the vaccine and reactions to it. I’ve got absolutely nowhere trying to talk to my GP about anything, it doesn’t help his opinions of me and anyone who asks too many questions or needs things explaining in a certain way is just dismissed as a nuisance. Having no one else who could help, it reinforces you only can ever really rely on yourself. Losing the one person during this crisis who did care has left me having to challenge the barrier of actually looking after yourself.

What are the ways to avoid a blood clot in general? It’s the mention of them that really worries me and I maintain that even a small chance you could be the unlucky one. I can be active enough to avoid being still for any long periods.
There is no way to reduce your risk to zero. I would focus on trying to reduce your anxiety about it rather than trying to achieve the impossible. I have had a blood clot in my past and I’ve weighed up the comparative risks of having a vanishingly tiny risk of a rare side effect versus the risk of death or serious disease from COVID. Having the vaccination in spite of the tiny risk is the most logical and lowest risk option.

If the link was correct, I’d be massively surprised. We have Vaccinated less than 50% of our total population with the first shot.
I hope they are right on their estimates of acquired immunity, but 73% total still leaves a population of over 15m for the virus to run around in.
As usual our media are taking what appears to be a single scientists work and trumpeting it from the rooftops. His work has been submitted to SAGE sub committee along with a few others that are nowhere near as optimistic.
By the way, Professor Friston is a neurologist and an authority of brain scanning. :thumbsdow
I would be surprised too for the reasons you say in your first paragraph. Most of the time the reported percentage having had one jab is of the population over 18. When talking about herd immunity surely you have to consider the percentage of the entire herd - which includes minors. Also as most have had the primer and not the booster there may be a weakness even in the immunised population which might grow over time ( we still don't know the long term protection of primer only - although its looking better and better as time goes on).

However I seem to recall, from an article I read last year, that herd immunity for Covid was calculated to be quite low compared to other infections diseases. I understand all diseases have a natural reproduction rate and seem to recall for Covid it was around 3? Compare that to measles with a reproduction rate of around 15 (iirc). which means for measles you really do need to imunise 95% of the population. For Covid it can be a lot lower so 73% of the entire population could be a good level of herd immunity - providing of course the population stays put with nobody leaving or entering the population from less protected communities.

Last edited:
My comment was more that at least suggesting we may have reached herd immunity now (unlikely) was far less absurd than the suggestion made by the poster than we had reached it in July 2020!
Indeed but even now the forecast details need to be taken into context. Some people may not go beyond the headlines.

Usual stuff, good diet (high vegetable and low cholesterol) , regular exercise, not sitting still for too long - so giving your circualtion a chance to move regularly, not smoking and choosing your parents well.

Usual stuff, good diet (high vegetable and low cholesterol) , regular exercise, not sitting still for too long - so giving your circualtion a chance to move regularly, not smoking and choosing your parents well.
What do you mean choosing your parents well? I have took note of the rest of your post thank you.

What do you mean choosing your parents well? I have took note of the rest of your post thank you.
It was a sort of joke really. It just means that we can inherit certain predilictions to ailments so choosing parents with excellent health and longevity is always a good move. ;) Although one also needs to consider nature v nurture and it seems to me some inheritance fom our parents comes in terms of the norms we interpolate from what was normal when we grew up. Those things we can change if we wish unlike our genetic coding.

Last edited:
I don’t want to continually seem pessimistic but it’s no life when you compare it to what most people perceive as ‘normal’ life & what it was like before covid. When you compare it to what life’s been like since covid and what’s been ‘normal’ for me it’s not that different.

Physical health can help mental health, my mental health is shot to pieces so planning on trying to get back to better physical health and having the time to do it away from the worry of what’s happening in these times in the outside world will help.

I’ve had lots of concerns over the last year regarding covid, my own medications and then having the vaccine and reactions to it. I’ve got absolutely nowhere trying to talk to my GP about anything, it doesn’t help his opinions of me and anyone who asks too many questions or needs things explaining in a certain way is just dismissed as a nuisance. Having no one else who could help, it reinforces you only can ever really rely on yourself. Losing the one person during this crisis who did care has left me having to challenge the barrier of actually looking after yourself.

If your GP is not listening to your concerns then I'd suggest changing your GP . On here you will only get different responses based poster's opinions .

For myself the benefit of the vaccine ( I had OAZ ) outweighed the risk.

I believe most if not all on here who have had the vaccine probably feel the same .

Last edited:

Try this forum. It's a very good place for mental health issues and support. Sometimes it's nice just to talk things over with people who are in a similar situation to yourself.

If your GP is saying you are a nuisance then change your GP .
He hasn’t said it per se but when you get tutted at over the phone I think that’s pretty bad from a professional who’s meant to help your care. Also being actively avoided being spoken to on the phone by him apart from once on a blue moon is bad, especially when you get lied to by the practice staff that he ‘isn’t on site’ when you know he is as you’re outside. I’ve changed both practices and GP’s before, I had a great doctor a few years ago but of course they didn’t like that so they made the practice upsticks and relocate somewhere else without telling service users.

What about the risk they pose to OTHERS?

Without the vaccination they can spread it to more people and create more variants.

Both of the above are unknown quality.

The tutting might not be tutting at you but more tutting with you. It could be that persons way of acknowledging and empathising with the situation you are describing. So a version of saying "Oh dear that sounds bad/difficult/upsetting etc expressed as tut tut tut. Being told the doctor is out when you believe they are in could be the receptionist being less than precise in their words in telling yout he doctor is not available (could be on a break, dealing with another patient, an emergency or off line to do urgent referrals etc). It seems to me you would benefit from something like NLP to change the way you perceive situations and recognise that how you perceive things is a matter of choice to an extent.

Last edited:
This issue with this blood clotting issue has been the orchestrated campaign from the government/media in UK to discredit those countries who were raising the risk. An orchestrated smear campaign. BBC in particular has been relentless. That matters as so many folk still think BBC are impartial. As for the actual blood clotting issue sadly people will have died because the warnings just weren't given in UK to get immediate medical attention. Lady just on TV whose brother died after a 8 day headache. Medics have told them it was clotting due to vaccine. She was a chemist and said folks should get vaccine but must be aware of the symptoms to get medical care. This isn't a failure of vaccine. It's a failure of MHRA / government. The warnings should have been given over last few weeks at time of vaccine. Government shouldn't have engaged in smear campaign. When a country like Norway says there is an issue with a vaccine. There is an issue.

Do you have any history of blood clots? Is there a history on your family?
Did you have your AZ first dose? If you have had the first dose over a week ago then the second will not do you wrong.
If you have a history of blood clots. You MUST discuss it with your GP, vaccinator. You could be offered a different vaccine. This forum is not a place to get medical advise, even from doctors. Nobody knows your medical history here.
If someone gets the AZ vaccine and gets persistent headache or serious symptoms they should call their GP and get professional advice/attention.

Apologies for going off topic and not contributing to the discussion at hand.
You do not need to be sorry, if you have concerns, it is good to talk about them. However, the GP or some trusted professional who knows your medical history is the best person to give you proper advise/attention in this matter.

This issue with this blood clotting issue has been the orchestrated campaign from the government/media in UK to discredit those countries who were raising the risk. An orchestrated smear campaign. BBC in particular has been relentless. That matters as so many folk still think BBC are impartial. As for the actual blood clotting issue sadly people will have died because the warnings just weren't given in UK to get immediate medical attention. Lady just on TV whose brother died after a 8 day headache. Medics have told them it was clotting due to vaccine. She was a chemist and said folks should get vaccine but must be aware of the symptoms to get medical care. This isn't a failure of vaccine. It's a failure of MHRA / government. The warnings should have been given over last few weeks at time of vaccine. Government shouldn't have engaged in smear campaign. When a country like Norway says there is an issue with a vaccine. There is an issue.
Which has to be balanced by the fact that no matter what happens you always blame the government. No doubt you hold them responsible for the three day cold snap we just had and the BBC for reporting the forecast.

ETA when I was vaccinated I was given information about how long to expect mild side effect to last and when to contact my GP (or similar). I was told if I had a headache lasting longer than 2 days or any unusual bruising to let my GP know.

Last edited:
Which has to be balanced by the fact that no matter what happens you always blame the government. No doubt you hold them responsible for the three day cold snap we just had and the BBC for reporting the forecast.

ETA when I was vaccinated I was given information about how long to expect mild side effect to last and when to contact my GP (or similar). I was told if I had a headache lasting longer than 2 days or any unusual bruising to let my GP know.
If you choose to blindly support government you will end up being exposed. That's what has happened to Tory bots over this blood clotting issue. The shameful attacks on those who dared to say wait you've got people centric/liberal countries like Norway raising concern. We should listen. I've had AZ vaccine and will have second dose. My concern has always been propaganda and smearing and the foot soldiers being deployed across the Internet. There are side effects with medicines. The public need to be made aware of those side effects and risks. Told when to get medical help. Trying to hide the blood clotting issue for fear of impact of vaccine roll out has backfired.

I think people like to ignore the timeline of the official EMA and WHO advice on it in relation to claims deliberately overstating the risks, made in a heavily politicised environment with all that fighting over getting or not getting shipments of AZ.

I haven't memorised what happened when but looking at it, I would argue that claims of how various countries 'turned out to be right' was a matter of luck not science.

p.s. having just seen the preceding post, I feel I should apologise for unknowingly being an evil tory bot in thrall to the toffs whose dastardly plan is unfolding before our eyes

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom