2019 Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) hits the UK

I have had a troublesome update from the GLP regarding the government’s intention to spend huge sums of taxpayer's money, to defend a court case to reveal where the government has spent Billions of pounds (of taxpayer's money) on Covid contracts? It appears the government is trying to outspend the GLP so as to make them drop the legal case? I for one am left disgusted with these tactics. Let’s hope the GLP wins the ‘capping order’ in high court…

‘Government Costs'
'Tomorrow, the High Court will hear our application for a cost capping order in our judicial review of Government’s decision to award huge PPE contracts to questionable counterparties'

'We have been forced to apply for the order, which would cap the costs of both sides, after Government revealed it planned to spend an eye-watering £1 million defending the case. If we lose, Good Law Project would be liable for these enormous costs. And Ayanda and Pestfix - the fortunate VIP lane recipients of vast contracts to supply PPE much of which we now know to be unusable - are also asking for huge and, we are advised, inflated sums in costs. We are a small not-for-profit, funded by donations from members of the public. We cannot bear this kind of existential risk'

'And our judicial review of PPE contracts has already generated an admission from Government that it purchased £155m worth of facemasks that can’t be used by the NHS, fuelled countless newspaper headlines in the UK and around the world, and prompted repeated scrutiny in the House of Commons. And it will get right to the heart of the highly troubling VIP lane largely populated by Ministerial contacts. And all of this before the case even reaches court'

'Our litigation is exposing Government’s cronyism and failures to procure in the best interests of the British taxpayer. We want to continue. But we are a tiny organisation pitted against the resources of the state. Unless we are granted a cost capping order tomorrow we will not be able to'

Yeah but it's all above board, and there is nothing to see...

Doubling down during a national crisis. What a shower of shite.

Yeah but it's all above board, and there is nothing to see...

Doubling down during a national crisis. What a shower of sh*te.
Agreed. If there is nothing to hide, why is the government spending over a million to defend the case in high court? Just release the information on the Covid contracts as you’re legally obligated to do? Which begs the question, what are they trying to hide?

Agreed. If there is nothing to hide, why is the government spending over a million to defend the case in high court? Just release the information on the Covid contracts as you’re legally obligated to do? Which begs the question, what are they trying to hide?

Didn't the GLP offer to stand down as well? But now they want to rip off the taxpayer even more by trying to cover up their own cronyism. Abhorrent.

Easy answer to that, the fact that they are cheating.

Didn't the GLP offer to stand down as well? But now they want to rip off the taxpayer even more by trying to cover up their own cronyism. Abhorrent.
Jolyon Maugham QC at GLP has stated...

'Our litigation is exposing Government’s cronyism and failures to procure in the best interests of the British taxpayer. We want to continue. But we are a tiny organisation pitted against the resources of the state. Unless we are granted a cost capping order tomorrow we will not be able to'

I don't want to be a doom merchant but I do fear that when you give people an inch they take a mile. The vast majority of people under 70 have not had a vaccine yet. The papers will be yelling freedom and people maybe without even knowing will not be as cautious as they have been, throw in that all the schools will be back too and I fear cases will be going up very high again. The great hope is that the vaccine will keep people out of hospital and limit the numbers of deaths but what kind of case numbers will set off panic stations again.. 20 thousand? Over 30? I hope it never happens of course I'm just pessimistic by nature.

I don't want to be a doom merchant but I do fear that when you give people an inch they take a mile. The vast majority of people under 70 have not had a vaccine yet. The papers will be yelling freedom and people maybe without even knowing will not be as cautious as they have been, throw in that all the schools will be back too and I fear cases will be going up very high again. The great hope is that the vaccine will keep people out of hospital and limit the numbers of deaths but what kind of case numbers will set off panic stations again.. 20 thousand? Over 30? I hope it never happens of course I'm just pessimistic by nature.

I share your concerns but, realistically, there really isn’t much that people who do want to “take a mile“ can really do that they haven’t already been doing. Eg neighbour downstairs has a friend around a couple of times a week. I don’t believe she is suddenly going to have multiple friends around. People have settled on their level of rule breakage and will just stick with that until they can actually do something out and about.

As for being less cautious, if my experience of the weekly shop is anything to go by (never mind my trip on the train to the hospital last week) I am amazed cases pare falling as much as they are.

You make an interesting point about case numbers and I presume we will be guided as to what to expect nearer the time.

Lockdown sceptics melting down over the "data not dates" idea.

Who'd have thought they'd put something ahead of data....

Welcome to another round of There is always a post.

Imagine my surprise that you posted a link to a Covid denier site!

As for your love of Henegan and Gupta, here is Henegan saying at the start of the second wave that there is no second wave.

As for Gupta, she said, along with that fool Yeadon, that most people back in the summer had immunity!

You and your namesake are just embarrassing now. Time and time again, you and your idols have been proved totally wrong.

Sit this one out chaps.

Not sure why you're throwing Carl Henegan in with those others. He spoke a lot of sense in that video.

Not sure why you're throwing Carl Henegan in with those others. He spoke a lot of sense in that video.
Other than “no evidence of a second wave”. He has a list of “facts” he brought out, which have shown to be less than accurate.

7D7C5A8F-4E72-47E5-BC19-0B7AFD2CC505.jpeg

This is like shooting fish in a barrel.

Other than “no evidence of a second wave”. He has a list of “facts” he brought out, which have shown to be less than accurate.
He said that in September and he was right. He also said cases would pick up in the winter and restrictions would be needed. He wasn't wrong.

No one is talking about who predicted what first, so this post is a bit pointless.
Predicted, real risk? It has been worse than hoped, less than some predicted. Its all a bit easy after wards.

View attachment 1465330
This is like shooting fish in a barrel.

These people are outliers. They're fighting against the consensus and, increasingly, compelling evidence.

Are they entitled to do so? Of course. Do their contributions potentially serve a function? Yes. Testing and retesting results and hypotheses forms an important part of scientific process.

The problem arises when these outlier views are thrust into the mainstream by people with a political or financial incentive, or by ideologues (these motivations aren't mutually exclusive).

Promoting outlier views - lending them greater weight than the consensus - isn't commensurate with scientific practice. Pushing outlier views is not "following the science." Instead, it's corrupting the science to service an agenda.

When media promote outlier views, to the exclusion of scientific consensus, you have to question the underlying motivation. When personalities are gifted megaphones to promote a corrupted view, during a national health emergency, this is not only irresponsible, it's a public health risk..

Last edited:
Everything is modeled, these days, from us going to War with The USA, to Brexit food shortage.

It's not a surprise if there's a large number of variants of models about how COVID could affect us.

Last edited:
He said that in September and he was right. He also said cases would pick up in the winter and restrictions would be needed. He wasn't wrong.

Many, many people, including Chris Witty, warned of the second. Look on the graph above; just as Carl said there was no second wave, the second wave had already started.

You can argue he made a mistake but it is undoubtable he was wrong.

Admissions were flattening in November, so he wasn't wrong. Then a new more infectious variant emerged and cases picked up. Nothing wrong with his analysis in November. It's more your failure to understand it.

He said flatlining, not flattening. Best not preach to me about not understanding something when you seem unable to tell the difference between two words.

At no point in November was it ever flatlining. Once again, Carl was wrong.

Last edited:
What do people make of this story

It strikes me as scaremongering, with estimates and figures being quoted for all sorts of scenarios

I remember when at the end of Summer, Whitty and Valance predicted 500+ deaths a day in a very short period of time. Dismissed as fools; sadly they were right and then some.

He said flatlining, not flattering. Best not preach to me about not understanding something when you seem unable to tell the difference between two words.

At no point in November was it ever flatlining. Once again, Carl was wrong.
Strong irony

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom