2019 Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) hits the UK

That's a good enough summary for me.
I agree there appears to be little that has been learned from being late to lockdown previously or from other countries. Given the exchange at PMQs today, how long before further measures are implemented. There were calls from scientists to implement measures before the festive break and we’re experiencing the effects. If the situation with the NHS continues, it’s inevitable more actions are needed.

Of course they’re contributions factors @Sammyez

Massively (imo).

Rich. We do/did know the situation. There’s only so much you can do though. Granted a few less mistakes (care homes fiasco) would have helped.

We had pandemic plans, scientists ready to advise the Government. And what happened ? Boris Johnson blundered in and made mistake after mistake. And he continues to do so. There's a new strain in Brazil that looks like it evades current immune responses and vaccine targets (vaccines can be tweaked but that takes time). So what's Johnson doing ? Hinting he might ban flights from Brazil. We've pretty much had open borders for the last year without any proper checks and quarantines in place like other countries. UK government to ban flights from Brazil amid new Covid variant, PM hints | World news | The Guardian

The cost already (not just money but everything else) is already out of this universe.

The cost is likely expanding into several universes by now. One cost not many people have probably taken into account yet are those who survive COVID-19 but are left with long term health problems that will either make them less productive or unable to work. Have too many and you could quite easily crash an Economy even without what's already hammering away at the Economy.

We could have put the Armed forces in control from day one. Probably would have done a lot better but this country cannot stomach harsh measures.

The Armed forces have been used, though mostly from a logistical stand point. The moment you have to use the Civil contingencies Act or an order in council to mobilise the Armed Forces is the moment when a Government signals it's lost control of a situation. To have done better ? Should have followed SAGE to the letter with no dither or delay with whatever political consequences that would have entailed for the PM and his cabinet. That's the crux of the issue here, politics has been put before the nations health and well being.

D6FE1D2A-651C-437B-8720-855961F1C045.jpeg

Totally unreal

It is from 29th Nov.

just so people are clear it’s not current.

It is from 29th Nov.

just so people are clear it’s not current.

Now you've contextualised the comment I've completely changed my view. Many of us are aware that "Lozza" has become only nastier and more detached from reality since.

It should go without saying that words such as Fox's kill, but I'm probably being a triggered lib****, or something. It's funny, really, when you engage in language that contributes to further loss of life. Even more so when you're an influencer with a megaphone.

Last edited:
Maybe this is part of the new normal.

Typical Sun article.

The headline is designed to put fear into people. Making them think masks will be a requirement forever.

When all he's taking about is after all this is mostly over, when it's no longer mandated by law people may still be happier wearing them when while on the tube.

Covid will be here forever I agree but once it's under control it will be no more problematic than the flu.

If people want to wear masks on the tube that's fine, as long as it's no longer mandated by law.

Now you're contextualised the comment I've completely changed my view. Many of us are aware that "Lozza" has become only nastier and more detached from reality since.

It should go without saying that words such as Fox's kill, but I'm probably being a triggered lib****, or something. It's funny, really, when you engage in language that contributes to further loss of life. Even more so when you're an influencer with a megaphone.
Just making it clear it wasn’t recent. Dates had been removed in the picture. In case anyone was wondering.

Just making it clear it wasn’t recent. Dates had been removed in the picture. In case anyone was wondering.

That's fine. I think we're all clear now that Fox was promoting super-spreading activities at precisely the moment the most recent wave and new variant were taking off, the results of which we're now seeing in hospitals and mortuaries.

Has that been proven in regard to the new variant(s)?

I don't think it was ever proven that nobody was getting infected outdoors, but rather that the risks were substantially greater in indoor settings.

No proof yet for any variant of cov2. Droplet transmission (from close contact) is still believed to be the main driver. Airborne transmission is still in debate but there are growing evidence in closed settings with certain conditions, it may spread to larger distances than 2m. Only if infected person is present in that closed environment.

IMO people misunderstood the research results and took literal meaning that going out to park during stay home restriction is more safer than staying at home. If no one is infected in household and follows the stay home order, there's almost zero chance that anyone in that household will get infection.

Indoor settings on most studies are offices, restaurants, gyms etc. Yes setting these outdoors will be safer than indoor but unpractical ;).

The date is irrelevant. The first half is plain stupid at best, the second half about the nhs and the final part is effectively denying an issue and he should be utterly condemned for it.

End of November was still during a second lockdown

there’s is no justification for his post

Yep, we had COVID with us last November so still a cretinous comment.

sigh over 1500 people did NOT die yesterday! They died over the past 17 days. Possibly longer. With most dying over the past 5 days.

Still absolutely terrible, absolutely. I'm not denying that.

But I'm astounded people still don't know the difference between date reported and actual day of death.
Yup, it is disappointing to see the BBC resorting to tabloid headlines in order to get people to click on their site.

Mercifully the daily death toll is barely half what they’re reporting and hopefully (despite Boris’ utter incompetence) the Christmas carnage won’t see deaths hitting anywhere near 1500 per day.

F6286D98-4085-4D9C-B55D-13BC6F878CB7.jpeg

A relief to hear that of nearly 21,000 health workers who had the misfortune to suffer COVID-19 at the start of the pandemic the vast majority (83%) continue to have antibodies which provide immunity.

Hopefully those who who haven’t got immunity will be prioritised for vaccination or monoclonal antibody therapy.

Last edited:
Yup, it is disappointing to see the BBC resorting to tabloid headlines in order to get people to click on their site.

Mercifully the daily death toll is barely half what they’re reporting and hopefully (despite Boris’ utter incompetence) the Christmas carnage won’t see deaths hitting anywhere near 1500 per day.

View attachment 1440999
So, what does previous mean in this chart? The way I see it, it gives the impression that “today’s additions” might not be complete.

sigh over 1500 people did NOT die yesterday! They died over the past 17 days. Possibly longer. With most dying over the past 5 days.

Still absolutely terrible, absolutely. I'm not denying that.

But I'm astounded people still don't know the difference between date reported and actual day of death.
I stand corrected, reported deaths. This is part of the problem. The maze of information provided and the fact that they only count the first 28 days of catching COVID to be included in the death figures is a fiasco as well. I barely believe anything any more that is said. It seems now that Boris has been misrepresenting the roll out of the vaccine as well. He seems literally to say whatever comes into his head and then not respond after he is found to be lying. It has got so bad with him now that nobody expects anything different and it is just accepted. At least they have impeached Trump but Boris will walk away scot free

So, what does previous mean in this chart? The way I see it, it gives the impression that “today’s additions” might not be complete.
Yes that's' right, it usually takes around 5 days right now for a daily figure to end up approximately where it should be.

Sometimes deaths are reported months later though.

I'm not so certain that we won't end up nearer 1500 deaths per day. Cases seem to be stabilising and even dropping now, however deaths might very well continue increasing for a good few weeks yet due to the lag between cases, hospitalisations and deaths.

Yes that's' right, it usually takes around 5 days right now for a daily figure to end up approximately where it should be.

I'm not so certain that we won't end up nearer 1500 deaths per day. Cases seem to be stabilising and even dropping now, however deaths might very well continue increasing for a good few weeks yet due to the lag between cases, hospitalisations and deaths.

Next couple of days things should get calmer. 2-3 weeks post-lockdown measure curve will flatten so hopefully we are half way through the most dangerous point in time.

I have seen on facebook a doctor has posted that sadly he had a patient who had the vaccine a couple of weeks ago and has now died of COVID. (first dose only)

Yup, there’s always some lag due to lack of admin staff working over weekends and bank holidays.

Hence the daily reported figures rise and fall on a weekly basis, with peaks tending to be on a Tuesday or Wednesday.

930AF83A-F26B-451A-8A30-A28F486B0699.jpeg

EC61C132-24DC-4B31-985A-4B8A2A635E0E.jpeg

and the fact that they only count the first 28 days of catching COVID to be included in the death figures is a fiasco as well.

It was probably the right thing to do.

It used to be the case that everyone with a confirmed infection who then later died was counted. It was getting to the point months into the pandemic that older people especially were dying of completely unrelated illnesses (after recovering from covid) but were added to the stats.

The longer this went on the more unreliable the figures would be.

I mean the life expectancy in a care home for someone who doesn't require care is only 24 months!

So they switched to the 28 days. It actually brought us in line with other countries so comparisons could be made that were more reliable.

The stats are also there for 60 days I think, those numbers are also recorded.

The ONS figures are even more reliable again.

Last edited:

I think that the misunderstanding is the “daily reported” vs “death on a particular day”. IMHO, people are aware of the 28 days span of the report.

It is quite possible that there were 1500 death in one of those days. We do not know that they are dead until they are recorded/reported.

Let’s keep in mind that these are the people dying according to the selection criteria. People who might have died after the 28 days due to covid, long covid or covid related problems will not be counted.

The fact is that 1564 people have been added to the death toll. Mercifully, the number of diagnosed cases is falling but that will be very little consolation for those families who have lost loved ones.

At the beginning of the pandemic the government was saying that if we kept deaths under 20 000, we would have done a good job. The death toll has quadrupled and keep going strong. That concerns me more than the possible misunderstanding of reported vs actually dying on a single particular day. All these numbers have people attached to them.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom