2019 Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) hits the UK

Report on Channel 4 at the moment about long term effects of COVID. Apparently one Doctor suffered blindness in one eye (they are hoping it is temporary) and someone else now suffers with incontinence.

Couple of new side effects I haven't heard of.

Report on Channel 4 at the moment about long term effects of COVID. Apparently one Doctor suffered blindness in one eye (they are hoping it is temporary) and someone else now suffers with incontinence.

Need to watch out it isn't being blamed for everything. I've told the wife it causes obesity and erectile dysfunction on the off-chance.

Well, sitting in the house comfort eating and not being able to get a bonk on due to stressing out about COVID I wouldn't be surprised :)

I thought Nicola said the other day that Scotland had virtually eliminated the virus. She will no doubt find a way to blame this on England.

We had, except one selfish prick decided to ignore the advice and rules and went to a bar, spread it around a bit then we had another bar, below, who couldn't be arsed to enforce social distancing and before you know it it looks like there's community transmission

1596655504294.png

My new cooker arrived today, I let them in and showed them the kitchen and went to the living room while they removed the old one and installed the new.
This way they didn't need to wear masks when doing the heavy work.

Of hundreds of thousands of cases and millions of infections a couple or less cases of incontinence and blindness cannot be put down to the virus in any realistic sense at all.

We had, except one selfish prick decided to ignore the advice and rules and went to a bar, spread it around a bit then we had another bar, below, who couldn't be arsed to enforce social distancing and before you know it it looks like there's community transmission

View attachment 1345707

They all look young to me... so unless they have some nasty medical conditions already they are not significantly at risk.

Those that are should be isolating themselves.

Not significantly at risk doesn't mean there isn't risk - as they found out.

Not significantly at risk doesn't mean there isn't risk - as they found out.

What did they find out?

I must say that’s not how I’d act in any bar I went to at the moment, but the risk to me is greater than it is to a healthy young thing.

However, were I a healthy young thing and didn’t have old people to visit or somesuch, then I’d be in bars just like that, on the pull and all the rest of it (as indeed I was hundreds of years ago), simply because the risk would not be large and life’s bloody short to begin with.

At last, we seem to be getting towards some sort of realism. Newsnight earlier tonight heavily suggesting that we are now overreacting to the infections, instead of looking at the hospital admissions. Also highlighting growing concerns over the number of false positives. The ICU consultant who covers Birmingham, was on the show. He said they currently have less than 20 serious COVID cases. He confirmed that, across the country, the aftermath of the COVID crisis (people with mental health problems, late reporting with cancer symptoms, heart attacks, strokes etc) is now starting to hit the hospitals. The concerns surrounding these are now outweighing those from COVID. He is worried that a continued excessive focus on COVID is now becoming a danger for people with other serious health issues.

View attachment 1345707

I miss nights out like that.

Not because of the Rona, but because I is old ...

They all look young to me... so unless they have some nasty medical conditions already they are not significantly at risk.

from infection or dying? You used nasty medical conditions which implies more from dying? Yeah to a point you're right being young statistically are more favored in mortality rate with current datasets. Better if some of those there are taking part in vaccine programme.

Now this is the question which has not been answered since start of pandemic. Why are old, elderly, with certain medical conditions more likely to die than others? More importantly why are children and young adults seems to be getting off lightly? We know that there are vulnerable group but no definitive answer to what makes them so susceptible to covid19?

What did they find out?

That anyone can be infected or can infect others regardless of age, race, gender, health condition etc.

Of hundreds of thousands of cases and millions of infections a couple or less cases of incontinence and blindness cannot be put down to the virus in any realistic sense at all.

Well, Channel 4 news appear to disagree...

They are equally at risk of catching it and then spreading it though. The risk of death or serious illness may not be to them, but it will likely to be some of the people they come into contact with, whether they know them or not. By ignoring distancing and mask wearing and behaving the way they are, they are putting people's lives at risk - I bet they're not going to be super diligent in hand washing/sanitising when going into shops, public transport etc.

Perhaps it's the young who should be asked to stay indoors if it's shown that they are the main cause of community transmission.

Calling all fluffers...

Looks like a recount is indeed on the cards. See, we didn't screw it up... honest!

Their age and how it will or will not affect them isn't the point tho, we were down to a tiny amount of new cases per day then due to the irresponsible actions of essentially one person and compounded by punters and businesses ignoring the rules we're at the point where it risks running out of control

It just shows the part we all play in keeping on top of this. I was on a training course in Aberdeen yesterday just along the road from the main testing centre at the airport, the instructors said it's been virtually deserted for weeks but it was choca yesterday

Back to comparing excess deaths again.

Which is completly understandable, if other countries are 2 - 3 weeks ahead of us. If nothing else it may give us insight on what to expect. Even retrospectively, it could indicate if we are on the right track.

A very lazy reply. We have datasets that clearly demonstrate the risk. I could link to people getting hit by lightning, which is actually more likely than dying of covid for certain demographics. Try to think rationally and not emotionally.

Not that lazy, I had to remember the details of the story I'd come across a few days ago and then search for it. That took some effort.

Anyway, all I meant was that the illness won't just be confined to the category of people committing the irresponsible behaviour, they will likely inadvertently spread it to others and create an environment in which the infection levels across the community are increased and that will lead to deaths, predominantly among those who are more vulnerable and may be taking more precautions. Now those could be close family members in the same household or complete strangers who get it because these same people who behave irresponsibly without taking precautions socially, also are unlikely to take the hygiene measures seriously.

I'm not sure we know how far we are away from herd immunity or whether that can be achieved at all and given the interplay between antibodies and testing and T-cell response, we may not be able to have a clear picture.

I don't think it's fair to talk about underlying health conditions as though if it only affects old people or people with underlying health conditions, that's not so bad (with the caveat that every death is a tragedy of course). As we go through life and age, or by unfortunate circumstance, a lot of us will at some point develop health conditions which put as at greater risk of death from this virus, but we could lead full, long and happy lives with existing medications to manage these conditions and yet those lives are at risk of being cut short by Covid - many people could live for decades with their 'underlying health conditions' where it not for coronavirus.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom