2019 Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) hits the UK

I saw my colleague serving a customer that came in with lifting his t-shirt so his nose and mouth was covered by it whilst he popped in to get some cigs.
Technically that's fine. A t-shirt is no different than most of the cloth coverings people use. Admittedly it looks a bit yobbish.

Went to the corner shop / post office , counted at least 10 people not wearing a mask , went for fuel and about the same walking in and out of the shop , it appears as though a lot of people don’t give a sh*t anymore .....

I’ve been out a bit today and yesterday and I’ve found, at a rough guess, about a quarter of the people I see not wearing a mask in the shops.

Surprisingly, young people appear to be more willing to wear them. Apart from groups of teenage boys, naturally.

Interestingly the areas listed separately for banning people outside home to gather at others' homes (not support bubbles) have large BAME communities. Surprised that Leeds and Wakefield, - they also have large BAME communities. If cases continue to rise in L & W, then they will get similar restrictions applied to them
You do keep banging that drum don't you?
Screenshot_20200731-212817_Chrome.jpg

As one of the BAMEs, it's lucky and Covid-safe that I'm typing this instead of saying it - or spraying it, as your expert testimony would suggest.

Coming soon to a street near you!
God bless them, squeezing the brakes, whack-a-moling us all to great glory
- remember: hands, face, space, head, shoulders, knees and toes, knees and toes, person, woman, man, camera, TV

Careful...

I think Chris Whitty's words earlier were a bit of a wake-up call to how far at least they think we are from getting back to some semblance of normal.

We've just about managed to survive the first round with COVID-19, there are many more to come. Even if the Oxford University vaccine is viable, it will take time to manufacture it and then begin a vaccination programme. Which will probably start with NHS workers, then the vulnerable then everyone else. Then we might find we need a booster shot of the vaccine once a year or possibly more. Then we have to be prepared for COVID-19 mutating over time.

And I think these "bubbles" and "household" regs are lost on most people now, and I see no scenario where they are adhered to much anymore either.

They'll only be adhered to if the infection reasserts itself and the death rate shoots up. I think part of the problem is that a majority of people have either had a mild form of the virus or they've not been touched by it all. Some people don't seem able to compute how real and how deadly the virus is. I saw a photo somewhere of some bloke with a T-shirt with handwritten scrawls all over it "Masks give you CONVID-19" in a supermarket. So basically some people need a sharp slap in the face by reality.

As for the vaccine (if we get one)? I think it will have to be mandatory cos of the anti vaxxers and conspiracy nuts. Though I guess it makes for a good old "We are the Borg resistance is futile. Praise Bill Gates" jokes.

People aren't interested in listening or being told what to do. Putting a mask on is okay, but being told who you can and can't see over summer isn't going to fly with the public.

Well it's thanks to Dominic Cummings that people won't adhere to the rules in part and the other part is that some people have a devil may care attitude to life. The Government has been woeful throughout the pandemic, Chris Whitty must be at the end of his teether trying to get Boris Johnson to make the right decisions. Even if the Queen addressed the Nation live and told people to follow the rules I doubt many would listen.

There shouldn't even be this thread if the British people are sensible. Not wearing masks and coming too close to people is probably one of the reasons why this country has 300,000+ people testing positive. Hopefully the thousands acros the country are all considerate and in isolation or as a minimum wearing a mask .when they must make an essential journey.

Wrong thread? :)

I’ve just seen a photo of a friend and 20 others in a group photo outside a pub , the 20 others have come from all over the country for a reunion ......

‘Some people don't seem able to compute how real and how deadly the virus is.’

Because, unless you’re very old and broken, it really is not.

Having experienced a case of pneumonia that took at least 6 months to get to some sort of normality back , you really don’t want to take any chances with this .....

There shouldn't even be this thread if the British people are sensible. Not wearing masks and coming too close to people is probably one of the reasons why this country has 300,000+ people testing positive. Hopefully the thousands across the country are all considerate and in isolation or as a minimum wearing a mask when they must make an essential journey.

I've been watching Paramedics on All4 catchup. One of them said pretty much what you and I have both been saying - if we'd followed the rules properly, we'd come out of this much faster.

If people haven't seen it, I'd recommend watching. It's a fly on the wall type documentary on how West Mids Ambulance Service responded to the pandemic and mainly follows the 111 call handlers and ambulance crews.

At 28, I don't think this lady was "very old and broken"

It certainly gets some young people, but if you're under 65 and healthy, you're more likely to die in a road accident than Covid. If you're under 10, you're more likely to get struck by lightning. The flu is far more deadly to young children. Especially infants.

At 28, I don't think this lady was "very old and broken"

... and she is very, very much an outlier.

The enormous, huge majority of those made ill and dead by C-19 are very old and have existing illness.

Simply lobbing in one or two young people does not change that fact.

Having experienced a case of pneumonia that took at least 6 months to get to some sort of normality back , you really don’t want to take any chances with this .....

I could not agree very much more.

But following modest and simple hygiene notions is all that’s required for an over abundance of people.

Wash your hands, properly and often. Don’t run about sniffing people, and have the decency to wear a mask in public places.

I certainly don’t wish to contract the disease (if I haven’t already) because it may aggravate the heart disease or ex smokers lungs into a sorrowful state or death.

But it is still nowhere near a problem for more than 90% of the country, who are not aged and infirm and have other illnesses too.

It’s the panic and overreaction I object to.

Locking up young people is absurd. They have nothing to fear.

Some people seem to genuinely enjoy wallowing in fear and cowering from a non threat.

Wear a mask, don’t lick people and if you’re very old and/or ill then stay the hell away from it all as much as possible.

We need to know more about long term affects too.

But WHO stressed on Thursday that even a mild COVID-19 infection can result in long term health implications.

Dr Maria van Kerkhove, WHO's COVID-19 technical lead, listed extreme fatigue, shortness of breath, and difficulty resuming normal activity as some of the longer-term effects people who had a mild infection can experience.

WHO's executive director of health emergencies programme, Michael Ryan, also cited evidence of prolonged inflammatory changes to patients' cardiovascular system.

He added that little is still known about the longer-term implications of the virus.

"Why take the chance? Why take the risk?" he asked. "Don't take a risk that you cannot quantify."

And no way I am ever gonna stop licking people, it's one of life's joys.

if you’re very old and/or ill then stay the hell away from it all as much as possible.

I said this in the other thread, but with the Government obviously fearing something, why are they letting shielded people now go back to work? Seems like an odd decision, those are the people at most risk and if they think what is happening is a cause for concern which they obviously do, then those are the people that should be being protected. Stopping certain businesses open but shielded people can now go back to work and out and about? Very contradictory.

Now lots of people at risk will have a choice to either go back to work or risk losing there job now they don't have the protection that shielding brought them.

Edit*

Last edited:
Take a deeper look into the lady mentioned above and look at other sources - A Covid Patient Goes Home After a Rare Double Lung Transplant

She was in good health, but had an autoimmune condition, neuromyelitis optica, and took medication that suppressed her immune system and might have made her more vulnerable to the coronavirus infection.

At one point, she headed to the hospital but then turned back without going in.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom