2019 Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) hits the UK

Reyreyrey

Many, many people, including Chris Witty, warned of the second. Look on the graph above; just as Carl said there was no second wave, the second wave had already started.

You can argue he made a mistake but it is undoubtable he was wrong.
The actual Heneghan quote is “no evidence of a second wave right now” and he explained it could just be a "seasonal effect". The evidence at the time wasn't clear either way so he didn't believe it should be called a second wave. It's not that difficult to understand

nickj1000

I don't want to be a doom merchant but I do fear that when you give people an inch they take a mile. The vast majority of people under 70 have not had a vaccine yet. The papers will be yelling freedom and people maybe without even knowing will not be as cautious as they have been, throw in that all the schools will be back too and I fear cases will be going up very high again. The great hope is that the vaccine will keep people out of hospital and limit the numbers of deaths but what kind of case numbers will set off panic stations again.. 20 thousand? Over 30? I hope it never happens of course I'm just pessimistic by nature.
It is a concern, I see bigger groups hitting the streets now. It is common to see a few adults walking through Cardiff with a bunch of kids clearly not from the same families. There was a batch of teenagers stopped talking sitting on their bikes the other day about a dozen of them, I am getting a bit confused now about what adult scan do and what children can do. It is rare to see anybody without a mask in a shop now though. At least this time the government are preaching a slow opening. Regardless just keeping my head down and my mask on until I get the jab !

Reyreyrey

The point incase you missed it was the second wave was predicted well in advance and Carl Heneghan was proven wrong.
I think you missed the point that I was discussing the Heneghan video that was posted and not all the the things he got right and wrong. So unless you go and watch that video, we should stop here.

Sammyez

I think you missed the point that I was discussing the Heneghan video that was posted and not all the the things he got right and wrong. So unless you go and watch that video, we should stop here.
Carl Heneghan was proven wrong regarding his comments about a second wave also his push for herd immunity.

inkinoo

The actual Heneghan quote is “no evidence of a second wave right now” and he explained it could just be a "seasonal effect". The evidence at the time wasn't clear either way so he didn't believe it should be called a second wave. It's not that difficult to understand

And yet loads of people called it.

Just you parroting his lies doesn’t make it true. How’s that herd immunity without a vaccine going as a strategy?

You keep on with the ad hominem which shows you have run out of ideas. Could you show me where the flatlining of cases occurred because I can’t seem to find it?

Reyreyrey

Carl Heneghan was proven wrong regarding his comments about a second wave also his push for herd immunity.
You could just watch the video rather than just listen to soundbites.

He said at the time there wasn't any evidence of a second wave, but was pretty clear that it would happen.

He also didn't push for herd immunity, but for controlled spread so things could carry on as normal for as long as possible.

He also suggested an extended period of restrictions around xmas, with vaccinations at the end of winter.

Right or wrong he basically got what he argued for.

Last edited:

inkinoo

He said at the time there wasn't any evidence of a second wave, but was pretty clear that it would happen.

He also didn't push for herd immunity, but for controlled spread so things could carry on as normal for as long as possible.

He also suggested an extended period of restrictions around xmas.

I literally posted the link; I’ve seen the video.

Do you subscribe to his herd immunity theory he paraded around last Spring?

Reyreyrey

And yet loads of people called it.

Just you parroting his lies doesn’t make it true. How’s that herd immunity without a vaccine going as a strategy?

You keep on with the ad hominem which shows you have run out of ideas. Could you show me where the flatlining of cases occurred because I can’t seem to find it?
You've already posted a graph which shows this. I can't help you if you can't see it.

Given some of your posts tonight I don't think it's worth my time explaining.

Sammyez

He also suggested an extended period of restrictions around xmas, with vaccinations at the end of winter.

Herd immunity advocates like Heneghan called it wrong as they did with the second wave. No point trying to argue otherwise.

‘In the summer, Gupta asserted that, if she was right that there was already widespread immunity in the population, Covid-19 was already on the way out and we would not see a second wave. Others who share such views include Carl Heneghan of Oxford’s Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine and Karol Sikora, an oncologist at the University of Buckingham and a former cancer adviser to the World Health Organization. Sikora (a signatory of the Great Barrington Declaration) asserted in June that the virus might simply just “fade out”, despite “a lot of fuss and a lot of noise”, and that it was likely we’d be done with Covid-19 by August. In late September, faced with evidence that he was wrong, he arguedthat “this second wave is simply not as deadly.” In later September, as the more infectious new variant of the virus was just taking off, Heneghan argued it was too early to implement a lockdown; by 9 October he was still casting doubt on the reality of a second wave’

‘You might imagine that being proved so catastrophically wrong would instill some humility. But Gupta and others who share her views have doubled down’

Herd immunity: a zombie idea and a lethal strategy | TheArticle

Reyreyrey

Carl said there was no second wave as the second wave started. How can you not see that?

Still waiting for you to show that flatlining. Wonder why you won’t answer that?
What happened in November vs the previous month?

_116296456_uk_daily_cases_with_ra_28dec-nc.png

Reyreyrey

Herd immunity advocates like Heneghan called it wrong as they did with the second wave. No point trying to argue otherwise.

‘In the summer, Gupta asserted that, if she was right that there was already widespread immunity in the population, Covid-19 was already on the way out and we would not see a second wave. Others who share such views include Carl Heneghan of Oxford’s Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine and Karol Sikora, an oncologist at the University of Buckingham and a former cancer adviser to the World Health Organization. Sikora (a signatory of the Great Barrington Declaration) asserted in June that the virus might simply just “fade out”, despite “a lot of fuss and a lot of noise”, and that it was likely we’d be done with Covid-19 by August. In late September, faced with evidence that he was wrong, he arguedthat “this second wave is simply not as deadly.” In later September, as the more infectious new variant of the virus was just taking off, Heneghan argued it was too early to implement a lockdown; by 9 October he was still casting doubt on the reality of a second wave’

‘You might imagine that being proved so catastrophically wrong would instill some humility. But Gupta and others who share her views have doubled down’

Herd immunity: a zombie idea and a lethal strategy | TheArticle
Heneghan didn't make sweeping statements like Gupta. His points have always been based on the evidence available at the time. The evidence can change and it did, but that doesn't mean he was wrong to say what he did at the time.

This is where he shouldn't be lumped in with Gupta and Yeadon.

Reyreyrey

Good try, but the graph I showed was hospital admissions.

We get it, you’re a covidiot. Thanks for letting us all know.
You asked for cases buddy. You can't even follow your own posts. Really don't have much hope for you.

MrFraggle

Distinguished Member
Watching the news this mornng and obviously the main story is the forthcoming changes to lockdown.
Schools going back, we better have a report from an empty classroom.
Pubs opening, we really need a reporter in an empty pub for this one.
Sports venues allowing 10,000 fans back in, do we have,anyone who can do there report outside Old Trafford at 6 am, we do great?
Vaccines, better show an clip of someone getting one just in case viewers are unsure what getting a vaccines entails.

Why oh why?

inkinoo

You asked for cases buddy. You can't even follow your own posts. Really don't have much hope for you.

Again with the ad hominem. I’ve frequently thrown little bits of info and each time you have seized upon them and not answered the question.

This is really simple.

Carl said there was no evidence of a second wave just as the second wave started. He said it was flatlining, which is just not true.

Cases and hospital admissions correlate with a 0.9 accuracy. You posting the graph showing cases rising because of increased testing is just nonsense and you know it. Are you using the President Trump playbook? How sad.

If you can show me where it flatlined, please show me the evidence. I will wait. Again.

Last edited:

Sammyez

‘Lockdown roadmap: is the UK’s exit plan the right one? Three experts give their view’

‘Lifting restrictions will be split into four stages, with a minimum of five weeks between each to observe the effects of easing restrictions. Criteria – concerning vaccine rollout and effectiveness, infection rates and mutations – will need to be met each time the country is due to move onto the next stage’

Lockdown roadmap: is the UK's exit plan the right one? Three experts give their view

inkinoo

We were in lockdown?
Be gone with your facts, Reyreyrey has to defend his idol. He also doesn’t seem to know what the word flatlining means. Glad he is not a doctor.

“He’s flatlining, let’s call it”
“But it’s just gone down a little and bounced back up?”
“HE IS FLATLINING!”

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 24th February 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
LG opens up webOS platform to TV manufacturers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published