2019 Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) hits the UK

Given the amount of people, including some in this thread, who are happy to dismiss the threat posed and essentially say it’s survival of the fitness, I am finding it hard to summon any sympathy for someone so stupid, who has said such dangerous things.
It's sad as he has left three children behind.

It's sad as he has left three children behind.

That is sad. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. But if he had followed guidance, perhaps he wouldn't have caught it.

I don't understand this assumption an effective vaccine will turn up. Throwing money at a problem doesn't guarantee success. And just closing schools indefinitely is going to be disastrous for the mental health of children. And how are their parents meant to go to work. Enormous knock on effects.
You are trolling now.

What has the reopening of schools actually really achieved ? Higher infection rates and the reduction for the public in trying to get tested ?

Any upside ?

well my daughter and her school mates are getting an education and some form of social interaction and I’m now able to work properly from the office and do a worthy and proper job of work.

I hear it’s the same for many other schools and parents to ;)

Last edited:
well my daughter and her school mates are getting an education and some form of social interaction and I’m now able to work properly from the office and do a worthy and proper job of work.

I hear it’s the same for many other schools and parents to ;)

How did you cope during the lockdown ?

Last edited:
How did you cope during the lickdown ?

with difficulty.

Managed to work from home 2 days a week, but was starting real early and finishing real late and was knackered. Never able to really educate my daughter to much standard and quality of my work was not close to that of being in office

don’t get me wrong. I managed. And if happened again would likely manage again. I’m lucky. And for now have understanding employers and colleagues. But not sure how long that would last.

and not sure how my own sanity / health would stand up to it

starting around 5 and working around educating my little girl. Then working again into evening. Conscious I was not doing as good a job as if in office, or work I was doing was taking longer, as harder to use work laptop than the pc I have in office with dual monitors etc

and then there is my daughter, she only 6 and she has some educational needs which I’ll not bore you with, but which I’m just not capable of giving her to the standards of her teachers. And she missed her friends what with being an only child. All through that time she never saw another child at all

as said, I managed, but it wasn’t easy. But I’m grateful she has the education available to her again

I would imagine for a huge number of people, people not as fortunate as me it was a real nightmare.

My cousin has a young son who is autistic.

He just wasn't capable of understanding why he wasn't able to go-to school. She ended up covered in bruises for much of the time during lockdown as he was physically very demanding.

Schools closing again is one of her worst nightmares right now.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this and sorry to read of your family's experiences. I hope your dad makes a full and steady recovery.

I think we've had a largely sanitised view of this virus and its effects. This perhaps makes it harder to contextualise the numbers we see on our screens every day.

This sanitised view has contributed to a culture in which some people have behaved irresponsibly and selfishly, in ways that aid transmission.

Perhaps it's time to make clear to all what's happening, in explicit and upsetting detail.

Thank you for this,

Yeah I have found that if you don't experience what we went through then you don't realise how bad it can be. We spent 8 weeks in total I think it was, with 2 updates per day from the hospital. Not being allowed in there with him was the real killer though. It was something I wouldn't wish on anyone.

The amount of times now on facebook/twitter I have had to bite my tongue at other people who were saying it is a haox or they won't wear a mask because it infringes on their human rites.

What really doesn't help is we get told what to do and there is going to be a fine if you break the rules, only for MP's (relatives of MP's) to do the opposite of what they are telling us and do not get even a bad word against them.

well track and trace is doing well. Mate/manger from football has been tested positive.
He had contact with another lad who has tested positive before we all meet for football last Saturday. So as a result he got tested last week and got his result end of week.

We all log into the track and trace app (Club has its own qr code) when we arrive at the ground and also at the pub after the game ( so spend about 4/5 hours together) and again on Tuesday's for training. As far as am aware only one person has been contacted telling them to self isolate, despite him entering a positive case record straight away into the app.

mate also had no contact from track and trace telling him about his friend either he found out from his friend.

Sweden changing their strategy

I've seen a few articles like these the past few days. Usually the headlines are incredibly misleading.

Putting out a few recommendations for the public to follow is not exactly a change of strategy. If anything it's a continuation of their existing one.

Making them a legal requirement or actually introducing lockdowns would be a change.

you and your partner must be incompetent buffoons then, couldn’t make it up, could organise a drink up in a brewery ...blah blah blah ;)
Good one ! My partner had big trouble sorting it out, the lady supplier disappeared for 2 months but she caught up with her in the end. We had the masks replaced with Taiwan masks which were top notch. So got there in the end

What has the reopening of schools actually really achieved ? Higher infection rates and the reduction for the public in trying to get tested ?

Any upside ?
Opening schools and the Universities could have been good for the economy, freeing everybody up and all the related business around education. Problem is they did not control it on the pretext that kids do not get sick and certainly initially the drinking behaviour in Universities seems to have been quite poor with minimal policing. I really do not understand the thinking sometimes unless it is: Let's just chuck it out there and see what happens

You can say what you like about Burnham, but at least he's demonstrating something that's been sorely missing - conviction.

Because right or wrong he's standing up for something, which in this instance is trying to protect jobs and business. Not dithering or sending out mixed messages or u-turning at every juncture. Has been more leadership from him in the last week than we've seen from the entire government since last December.
But when the government were supposed to be pushing economy above health some on here condemned them 🤔

I've just dropped my Son off at college and on the way back I had to pop into McDonald's to get my Daughter a breakfast.

I was shocked at the amount of holiday coaches parked up in the services. Obviously a big pick-up point for them, huge queues for each coach parked up. The place was absolutely rammed. True, everyone was masked up but there was no space - I thought they would be keeping every other seat empty, but no - and technically they aren't doing anything wrong I suppose. But this is Durham and we are shipping off our Typhoid Marys to God knows where.

Behaviour aside. People don't have to go on holiday, but students generally have to go to University.

Took long enough :)
Just creates an echo chamber doesn't it? Can't say I particularly like seeing people suspended for going against the grain unless they break the usual forum rules of being polite.

Obviously there could be more that we don't get to see.

Normally it's not because of someones views, but how they express them and act with there views.

Not sure what happened with BC tho.

But when the government were supposed to be pushing economy above health some on here condemned them 🤔

Central government should never put the economy above health. So it's right to condemn them for that. It was about (and still is) finding a balance. One affects the other. As has been noted by several posters already, Johnson is a crowd pleaser and his methods to try and find balance are failing.

Burnham is a local mayor looking to protect local jobs and business. I believe he's also reinforcing his opposition to Tier 3 by saying the number of infections are actually coming down in Manchester, and it was due to the student population and not hospitality.

I did say however rightly or wrongly, so I appreciate that some will disagree with his stance. However personally I do admire conviction and leadership - and someone somewhere in authority needs to show some of it right now.

(Sorry for talking about government in here, but it was unavoidable in order to respond to leedebs)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom