2019 Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) hits the UK

iangreasby

Whatever the rights and wrongs, you will not get anywhere near the same level of compliance from the public for future lock downs. The initial one that started in March was largely well observed, but subsequent ones will not be.

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
Whatever the rights and wrongs, you will not get anywhere near the same level of compliance from the public for future lock downs. The initial one that started in March was largely well observed, but subsequent ones will not be.
I would like to think so, but I think the public will be more compliant than ever with the media blackout of any counter opinion, and promoting the terror.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
I guess as our goverment has been a few steps behind EU countries on our initial response to the pandemic . A more shallow attempt at lockdown than other countries in the EU that struggled initially. And a faster relaxation from the more shallow lockdon our government imposed .

We be fudged going forward, I mean really fudged compared to our closest neighbours.

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
A mockdown should mean a lower spike when it is eased. We've had plenty of free range morons out and about, keeping things ticking over.

What worries me is they have said that a spike was expected post mockdown, but this increase probably started 2 - 3 weeks ago. I've no idea where we'll be in another 2 - 3 weeks.

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
I like it! :laugh:

It wasn’t a lockdown, not nearly so.

And it was made a mockery of. By so many.

Not least by the testicle headed unelected Der Fuhrer.

So, Mockdown it is :thumbsup:
What more did you want from the lockdown? Shops, restaurants etc... were shut, everyone was told to stay at home except for essential shopping, short exercise or critical work. Not sure what else could be locked down and if people didn’t abide to it then who’s fault is that?

Last edited:

Ruperts slippers

Distinguished Member
Having experienced a case of pneumonia that took at least 6 months to get to some sort of normality back , you really don’t want to take any chances with this .....
I agree Pneumonia is an awful experience i had it in both lungs and sepsis. I too took a good 6 months to recover fully. However i exercised my lungs and myself back to fitness the day i left hospital and made it my own personal mission to do so. I can remember spending hr after hr on my spin bike, squats etc. Even after that my lungs were still painful months after. My first run was a painful experience but it had to be done. I still struggle with work dust particles re core drilling, lifting floorboards 4 yrs later. I avoid these tasks as much as possible.

For the majority of people the virus is benign, no symptoms whatsoever. So basically nothing to worry about in relative terms especially when comparing to measures the government has enacted to quantitative ease peoples businesses and salaries over these past months. Not doing so would've been a disaster. I still feel these measures will not have been enough, they've yet to unravel. The full consequences of this unravelling are going to be far worse than the virus.

However this country does have a very unhealthy subset of the middling population the over 40's male and female. I've noticed the government have began a national fitness drive encouraging cycling and again focusing on obesity. They need to go further, Boris is an atypical middle aged man, definitely not a picture of health.
The health of the nation has been a dire public health issue for decades, this virus for those people has devastating consequences, as a group and individuals, people need to take a serious look at their own health. Masking up, washing hands wont cover the yrs of neglect or lack care over individual basic health, fitness and diet. I do feel the supermarkets have a role to play in this, a lot of what they sell is junk. Feeding the nation, yes, however what are they offering.

I've now met a few friends who have had the virus, the younger ones who are not in tip top condition complained of headaches and breathlessness, etc. The older people, over 60's have been really ill. All have recovered.

As for the lock down in my local area, I think the government is being very cautious after being lambasted over it's treatment of the BAME population, hence the measures. They're now being slagged off for that now, so they cant win.

Last edited:

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
The health of the nation has been a dire public health issue for decades
It certainly is more deadly by multiples than the virus is. I welcome the drive for fitness. But they're still not really pushing anything that will help our immune systems, in terms of nutrition. It's just vague generalities.
I must admit I do laugh when I see morbidly obese people wearing masks. I think to myself - you're tackling the wrong health crisis there mate!

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
It certainly is more deadly by multiples than the virus is. I welcome the drive for fitness. But they're still not really pushing anything that will help our immune systems, in terms of nutrition. It's just vague generalities.
I must admit I do laugh when I see morbidly obese people wearing masks. I think to myself - you're tackling the wrong health crisis there mate!
Nutrition has been pushed for years and years, decades even but until fast food and ready meals are made more expensive the majorities will go for the cheaper easier option. The number of people I see on a TV that eat 2-3 takeaways a week! That’s expensive ad crazy.
Unfortunately most people want life as simple as possible and not have to bother about cooking properly and/or eating healthily. It’s all pretty much inevitable for the current middle age generation and I suspect might continue with the youngest too.

Ruperts slippers

Distinguished Member
Yes we have nutrition information on our food, do people understand what it means. Just observing each other it's clear most people are ignoring advice or just don't care. Holidays, with buffets, free bars etc, we lap it up, portion control has gone. The cumulative effect of not being aware or taking action is devastating later in life.
Why are man made foods more comparatively expensive than natural grown foods.

Food has no value anymore it's mass produced junk, and society is paying the price for this intensive way of living we have all adopted.

Society has monetised, and intensified life, everything is about business, nature has a way of punishing humankind.

From viruses to tsunami's, flooding all a consequence of lack of foresight and human meddling. Nature has a way of exposing human frailty.

Last edited:

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
The annoying thing is that it’s so easy to eat even a little bit healthier and cook from scratch, there really is nothing to it. Convincing people to try it when they can get junk for next to nothing is the real challenge.
Same goes for exercise.

realfrankturner

I have one take away a week

I normally follow the 80/20 rule.

Everything is fine in moderation, apart from bleach. Never swallow bleach.

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
The annoying thing is that it’s so easy to eat even a little bit healthier and cook from scratch, there really is nothing to it. Convincing people to try it when they can get junk for next to nothing is the real challenge.
Same goes for exercise.
It ties in with the current nanny state control. People have lost all sense of personal responsibility, so when they divest it to the government they'll do everything they can to minimise risk so they won't get blamed for anything.

richp007

Distinguished Member
Health, nutrition, financial responsibility - all stuff that needs to be taught on the curriculum now in schools.

It's clear too that many parents aren't upto the task, and few kids are going to take on the responsibility themselves, so it needs to become a mandatory requirement that can't be escaped from. School is the only place.

Ruperts slippers

Distinguished Member
I think as a society we've lost all personal innate skills.
Most people don't bake anymore, all the effort and love that goes into making biscuits or cakes for instance. We don't wolf grannies biscuits down in one go
No just pop to the supermarket for a mass produced sugar bomb for a couple of pence.
What shall we have today, nature's fruit or a biscuit.
Or we coat a potato in fat then eat it, and wonder why after yrs of consuming similar foods why it's hard to move and breathe anymore.

Society needs a big wake up call, however no government can come out and say it. Big business has commodified society from top to bottom, globalization has actually sped this process up. Humans are just a unit or cog in the wheel of production or consumption. Most aren't even aware, we educate ourselves at uni to hone these skills. Then claim to be intelligent, self aware.

On reflection it's actually quite scary, there's no going back without an horrifically painful transition.

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
Unfortunately we aren't robots. It isn't just about food = energy. Eat until my energy levels are replenished then stop.

Eating can be affected by many things, such as stress and anixiety. People often eat to feel better, then feel bad because they have overeaten, so eat some more...

We do all kinds of daft crap. Some would say that is what makes us human.

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming To Amazon Prime Video in August 2020. Tom's Thumbs.

Latest News

Linn announces Majik DSM digital streamer upgrade
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony announces WH-1000XM4 noise cancelling headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
McIntosh launches C22 Mk V preamp and MC1502 power amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Marantz unveils 12 Series Special Edition models
  • By Andy Bassett