2019 Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) hits the UK

BorkenArrow

The media has started I see. Attacking the app for only doing what it's supposed to be doing. Not the fault of the app that the government can't/won't use basic Track & Trace measures other countries are using to locate and isolate cases as quickly as possible before they pose a risk to the community.

There was probably what, 300k cumulative cases in the last week? So 618k pings is actually low when you think about how many close contacts there should really be from that case load.
For track and trace to work properly you have to do what they do in Oz, lockdown the whole area to stop it spreading for a short time and then trace the 100 or so cases.

Trying to do it on 10s of thousands of cases is pointless, way past the point of no return.

TabClear1992

The number of people pinged jumps by 100,000 in 7 days. It will be interesting to note who will be on the exemption list to be announced…

Record 618,000 people pinged by NHS Covid app in England and Wales in a week

‘A record 618,903 ‘pings’ were sent to users of the NHS Covid-19 app in England and Wales in the week to 14 July, telling them to self-isolate after coming into contact with someone who had tested positive for coronavirus, NHS figures show’

‘The latest figures were released as the government struggles to contain the “pingdemic” which is being blamed for empty supermarket shelves and staff shortages’

‘Despite hopes that many fully-vaccinated critical workers would be exempt from the isolating when changes to the system are brought in on 16 August, Kwasi Kwarteng, the business secretary, said the list of exemptions would be “very narrow”

Record 618,000 people pinged by NHS Covid app in England and Wales in a week
I wonder how many of them were in packed trains, tubes, pubs etc. for the Euros final?!

Sammyez

Distinguished Member
The media has started I see. Attacking the app for only doing what it's supposed to be doing. Not the fault of the app that the government can't/won't use basic Track & Trace measures other countries are using to locate and isolate cases as quickly as possible before they pose a risk to the community.

There was probably what, 300k cumulative cases in the last week? So 618k pings is actually low when you think about how many close contacts there should really be from that case load.
The track, trace and isolate programme has suffered a number of set backs and has not been properly used as you say to isolate cases as quickly as possible. Despite the millions thrown at it, the implementation has been poor. Let’s not forget the nonsense last year with the Excel spreadsheets being used. It appears the UK has not developed this well enough or learned any lessons from other countries that have been more effective with track, trace and isolate measures.

Sammyez

Distinguished Member
I wonder how many of them were in packed trains, tubes, pubs etc. for the Euros final?!
Given some of scenes shown on tv it’s probably a good chance these have contributed to the overall figures. No doubt, we’ll know more in the coming days and weeks what effect the removal of Covid restrictions has had on the UK.

The Thorne

I must have missed that.

I think we're still quite a little way from 'all is well'. But all is certainly better than it was which will have to do for now.
Nope I can’t think of anyone either. ‘All is well’ isn’t something we are likely to be saying for maybe 2 more years as you say things getting better in general is enough for now.

BorkenArrow

E6yLAMfXoAE45hH.jpg

fluxo

Distinguished Member
There are short moments when I think I’d happily swap the heat for a bit of the old delta. The heat here is unbelievable.

Last edited:

TabClear1992

Australia and New Zealand Rugby teams pulling out from Rugby League World Cup due to concerns about our handling of Covid are being called “selfish and cowardly” 😐

The Thorne

Australia and New Zealand Rugby teams pulling out from Rugby League World Cup due to concerns about our handling of Covid are being called “selfish and cowardly” 😐
I do miss the lengths you went to, to find negative stories but that is a bit pathetic. The story not you btw I agreed its bad.

Sammyez

Distinguished Member
I do miss the lengths you went to, to find negative stories but that is a bit pathetic. The story not you btw I agreed its bad.
There is nothing negative about stating the NZ and Australian Rugby teams have decided to withdraw due to coronavirus concerns in the UK. As the NZRL chief points out there are ‘stark differences’ in the management of the pandemic between the UK and Australasia and recent developments have caused concerns. I don’t blame them…

Australia and New Zealand withdraw from Rugby League World Cup due to coronavirus concerns

‘NZRL chief Peters cited "stark differences" between the management of the pandemic in the UK and Australasia as another contributing factor in their decision to withdraw’

"The safety and well-being of our people is the main priority and, unfortunately, that cannot be guaranteed to our satisfaction," he said

"There are stark differences between how the pandemic is being managed in the UK compared to Australasia and recent developments have highlighted how quickly things can change

"The tournament organisers have moved heaven and earth to make this work, so it is not an easy decision, but the Covid-19 situation in the UK shows no sign of improving, and it's simply too unsafe to send teams and staff over."

Australia and New Zealand withdraw from Rugby League World Cup due to coronavirus concerns

basiltherat

I wouldn't want to play here either, if my country had such a poor vaccination rate I wouldn't want people traveling abroad and potentially bringing it back.
The UK is I a good vaccination position, that's small comfort to those not in such a good position.

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
I can't say I'm surprised. I don't blame them.

Just thinking about the 'pingdemic' and wasn't it confirmed that the app is working fine? If so it must be rife out there.

rustybin

Distinguished Member
It all reads like decision made for political reasons rather than a safety ones.

The Euros showed how these things can be done relatively safely.

Mevlock

Distinguished Member

Rugby Football League (RFL) chairman Simon Johnson called it a "selfish, parochial and cowardly decision".

Shocking and disgusting thing to say.

Some people are optimistic that we will cope during the exit wave and that we can avoid more restrictions and another lockdown.

That doesn't alter the fact that we are having to deal with very high case numbers and it's not a surprise that they aren't willing to come here right now.

The Thorne

There is nothing negative about stating the NZ and Australian Rugby teams have decided to withdraw due to coronavirus concerns in the UK. As the NZRL chief points out there are ‘stark differences’ in the management of the pandemic between the UK and Australasia and recent developments have caused concerns. I don’t blame them…

‘NZRL chief Peters cited "stark differences" between the management of the pandemic in the UK and Australasia as another contributing factor in their decision to withdraw’

"The safety and well-being of our people is the main priority and, unfortunately, that cannot be guaranteed to our satisfaction," he said

"There are stark differences between how the pandemic is being managed in the UK compared to Australasia and recent developments have highlighted how quickly things can change

"The tournament organisers have moved heaven and earth to make this work, so it is not an easy decision, but the Covid-19 situation in the UK shows no sign of improving, and it's simply too unsafe to send teams and staff over."

well its hardly a good news story is it

Mevlock

Distinguished Member
It all reads like decision made for political reasons rather than a safety ones.

The Euros showed how these things can be done relatively safely.
Can't agree with this.

Very high case numbers here.

Very low case numbers and little to no population immunity over there.

Add in delta transmissibility and it seems like an obvious decision to me.

rustybin

Distinguished Member
Can't agree with this.

Very high case numbers here.

Very low case numbers and little to no population immunity over there.

Add in delta transmissibility and it seems like an obvious decision to me.
But what has changed today compared to a few weeks ago? I can understand the decision perhaps, but not the timing of it.

And the reason it is unsafe is as much down to Australia and NZ vaccination programme.

Just one more contradiction in a very long line of contradictions.

The Thorne

But what has changed today compared to a few weeks ago? I can understand the decision perhaps, but not the timing of it.

And the reason it is unsafe is as much down to Australia and NZ vaccination programme.

Just one more contradiction in a very long line of contradictions.
I think both parties could have phrased things better, I just think that Australia feels more vulnerable which is understandable and they would be keen to avoid any cases being brought home with them but it was pretty clear at least a month ago that would be a big risk.

rustybin

Distinguished Member
I think both parties could have phrased things better, I just think that Australia feels more vulnerable which is understandable and they would be keen to avoid any cases being brought home with them but it was pretty clear at least a month ago that would be a big risk.
I'm hoping the 'cowardly' comment is a reference to the way it's been announced rather than the decision itself, as that doesn't put the guy in a good light at all.

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
Daily Mail has posted a new tool to compare how different regions are doing:

Durham (ahem):

Overall Population 9,744
Percentage Overall Population Given One Vaccine 13.53%
Percentage Overall Population Given Two Vaccines 12.05%

Oh, and since term ended:

% GROWTH (WEEK ON WEEK) -70.52%

Maeght

Daily Mail has posted a new tool to compare how different regions are doing:

Durham (ahem):

Overall Population 9,744
Percentage Overall Population Given One Vaccine 13.53%
Percentage Overall Population Given Two Vaccines 12.05%

Oh, and since term ended:

% GROWTH (WEEK ON WEEK) -70.52%
That has been on the government website for sometime and the Daily Mail has just put up a link (which I have done many times on here). The vaccination map is fairly new though. Don't want to give the Mail any credit for that (or anything much).

Edit: their interactive feature is different I now see but the data doesn't tally with the government website as far as I can see.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

KEF adds Ci160ES to Architectural Speaker range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Hisense increases Laser TV sales following Euros
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung Smart Start offer grants access to premium TV apps