2019 Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) hits the UK

tman

This is worrying, my confidence had grown no end on the last week or so regarding having the vaccine, promoting the vaccine and trying to unify peoples feelings on the vaccine and the way forward.

Now all this ☹️ Having a fatal blood clot it might be vary rare as a side effect of the vaccine but very rare can still happen, even one in a million is still one. Could get the vaccine and knowing my luck be the one to get bad blood clots.
***, get over it. You've for more chance of winning the lottery or aliens landing in your back garden. The hysteria around this is just incredible. Every single thing you do carries a risk, however small, so let's just take a deep breath, calm down and carry on.

Sammyez

What am I trying to prove? That it went from 3rd highest in the world per 1m, to 12th. I don't know why you are bringing other stuff into it. My post clearly states what I was talking about. I am speaking of death per 1m and how it is now in 12th place, pretty simple really.

I said nothing about the other stuff. So I don't know why you are bringing up stuff that I haven't even mentioned, unless you are speaking to someone else. My post clearly speaks only about deaths per 1m.

As for another wave. If there is, then surely vaccines are completely not effective? People keep saying "we will follow EU with another wave". Erm no. If we do, then why can;'t they just say vaccines are a failure? Because with that many vaccinated, others with antibodies and the rest being younger... another wave looks unlikely.

Firstly:
1. We had that wave. It will be them that are behind us.
2. We are more partially vaccinated than any of the EU so wave comparisons are pointless.#
3. If we are to compare, surely we should be comparing ourselves to Israel, as in terms of roll out and time since they started to vaccinate, we are the closest to them. If Israel goes pear-shaped, then we can worry. But looking at Israel who are weeks ahead of us, there is nothing to show us that there will be another wave.
Some more reading for you...

Stefano92

Some more reading for you...

As long as it doesn't result in admissions then cases shouldn't really matter, just like they always have said when vaccine rollout is happening. If cases go up to 10,000 a day but the admissions keep declining, i don't see the problem.

Having 3000 cases a day but 300 deaths a day and 3000 admissions is going to be worse than having 15,000 cases a day, 2 deaths a day and 50 admissions.

The whole point of the vaccine is not to eradicate covid (other than smallpox, what other thing has been completely eradicated? Covid won't be, if it is, then it would be a miracle), but to stop severe illness.... something that has dropped around 95% from the peak. Now they want to s*** all over the progress to scare more people into waves... well, if that doesn't cause a lot of young bodies dropping off buildings, i would be shocked.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
There was higher vaccine hesitation in younger age groups already due to the fact that that they are not at risk to serious illness if infected .

Today's news will only entrench that belief further so was the best possible call to offer a different vaccine to under 30s.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
***, get over it. You've for more chance of winning the lottery or aliens landing in your back garden. The hysteria around this is just incredible. Every single thing you do carries a risk, however small, so let's just take a deep breath, calm down and carry on.

Poor reply to belittle a member on here that may have concerns.

Judge Mental

Germany's independent health body was able to report on evidence of a link nearly a month ago: News - The Paul-Ehrlich-Institut informs - Temporary Suspension of Vaccination with COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca

Don't pretend the evidence wasn't there. It has been for quite some time now. We just did not act with the same abundance of caution as other countries did because, of course, this is a "British" vaccine and we were trying to firefight the reputational damage it was causing.
They observed the cases but were awaiting evaluation of the data. Only once that evaluation was complete have they concluded that there was a causal link. The additional cases were only observed on 15 March, three weeks ago. Our regulatory agency has done the same evaluation and reached the same conclusion. The only difference is that we didn’t suspend use of the vaccine as it was considered on balance to be safer to continue given the level of risk. I don’t see anything at all wrong with that.

An Thropologist

I can’t catch it if I stay indoors. I can engineer my current situation round to not having to leave the house. I hardly do as it is and realistically you can have things delivered contact free.
But ... but don't you think that is declining to live for fear you may die.

But you have given me an idea for a signature on here.

Sammyez

As long as it doesn't result in admissions then cases shouldn't really matter, just like they always have said when vaccine rollout is happening. If cases go up to 10,000 a day but the admissions keep declining, i don't see the problem.

Having 3000 cases a day but 300 deaths a day and 3000 admissions is going to be worse than having 15,000 cases a day, 2 deaths a day and 50 admissions.

The whole point of the vaccine is not to eradicate covid (other than smallpox, what other thing has been completely eradicated? Covid won't be, if it is, then it would be a miracle), but to stop severe illness.... something that has dropped around 95% from the peak. Now they want to s*** all over the progress to scare more people into waves... well, if that doesn't cause a lot of young bodies dropping off buildings, i would be shocked.
Did you read the article?

LisaB

Standard Member
This is worrying, my confidence had grown no end on the last week or so regarding having the vaccine, promoting the vaccine and trying to unify peoples feelings on the vaccine and the way forward.

Now all this ☹️ Having a fatal blood clot it might be vary rare as a side effect of the vaccine but very rare can still happen, even one in a million is still one. Could get the vaccine and knowing my luck be the one to get bad blood clots.

The risk of dying from the virus or the long term damage it can cause if you survive, is vastly greater than the minuscule chance of a blood clot.

The contraceptive pill has a 0.3% risk for context.

I'm a woman of 33 and already had my first dose of AZ two weeks ago. I'm booked in for the second on 10th June and not worried at all. Mass vaccination is both how we get out of this pandemic and how you get further data on potential side effects and if anything needs tweaking. It's the same for all medication, it's just never highlighted in the press to this extent. Even something we consider as mundane as paracetamol comes with a sheet of side effect warnings. This is just the regulator doing their job. Something else could crop up once other vaccines go into mass use to the extent of AZ, nothing comes without risk. But the point still stands that benefits to life far outweigh the random off chance of a severe side effect.

acatweasel

I keep popping up on the eradication bit.
No polio cases in this country for 40 years. Declared measles free for years, until the antivaxxers appeared. When did you last see someone with TB, scarlet fever or whooping cough?
Some diseases “grumble on” at low level, and there’s a correlation with poor vaccine efficacy there. Flu just keeps on giving every year, and our efforts to eliminate are pathetic.
The Israeli figures are massively encouraging. We just need to complete the vaccination plan rapidly, and ensure there is some kind of vac cert for travelling into this country.

BorkenArrow

Would you be so kind to point members to this news .
20210407_201646.jpg

apolloa

Distinguished Member
YouGov snap poll shows a different picture...
This is entirely flipped from before where we had well over 80% saying there should be no choice in vaccine and it’s the same across all age groups.

View attachment 1490491View attachment 1490492

Thats worrying, what was the sample size? People can always not take it and live under more restrictions and lockdown for longer if they wish. Because that will be the effect if it takes longer to vaccinate people who chose not to have the AZ vaccine. I wonder what they think of the millions and millions and millions who have already had the AZ vaccine and are perfectly fine?

Iain42

Part of me would really like to suggest that they read the information sheets that comes with medications, or look at legitimate websites where you can obtain further information, such as medicines.org (I'm sure you can access a large part of it without needing insitutional access). I suspect an awful lot of people have no idea of the associated risks with the things they ingest, or do on a day to day basis.

The classifications for commonality are standard across medications, although, obviously there's a range as rare would cover every from 1/1000 up to 1/9,999, and very rare being over 1/10,000 (and that could be 1/10,000 or 1/ 100,000).

"The following convention has been utilised for the classification of the frequency of adverse reactions: very common (>1/10), common (>1/100 to <1/10), uncommon (>1/1000 to <1/100), rare (>1/10,000 to <1/1000) and very rare (<1/10,000), not known (cannot be estimated from available data)"

Contraceptive pills - risk of clot "rare"
Ibuprofen - cardiac failure "very rare", aseptic menegitis "very rare", hypertension "very rare". Hepatic Failure "very rare"
Propranalol - "rare" - psychosis/ hallucinations, thrombocytopenia (low platelets) - "rare"

Yes, my mother in law reads them, then develops the symptoms....

Iain42

The situation in Brazil and South America is getting very serious. If this goes unchecked it poses a global risk. The anti-vaxxers and Herd immunity supporters should take note.

View attachment 1490320

Is there anyone who actually believes that these figures are accurate, and consistent between countries?

It is like comparing apples and pears.

Iain42

I think the way it has been covered by news channel particularly the BBC have been extremly poor, some of the questions posed by their presenters have been extremely inflamatory. Why is this still commanding so much coverage I cannot fathom?

All through this, the coverage from the MSM has been appalling. Why, in the majority of cases, do we have the political journos asking questions about a medical/scientific issue?

Poor questioning, followed by slavish acceptance of "the science" from the particular scientists who, unfortunately, are being listened to most.

Last edited:

Sammyez

Is there anyone who actually believes that these figures are accurate, and consistent between countries?

It is like comparing apples and pears.
We’ve covered this topic several times. Roll back and look.
Moreover, are you questioning if the Covid situation in Brazil is not to be worried about from a global risk perspective? That being the purpose of the OP.

Iain42

We’ve covered this topic several times. Roll back and look.
Moreover, are you questioning if the Covid situation in Brazil is not to be worried about from a global risk perspective? That being the purpose of the OP.

Yes, we differ in our conclusions, and the scientists we trust.

I believe that life is for living, as a good friend of mine often says, "We are here for a good time, not a long time." I see posters here whose quality of life seems to be measured purely in longevity.

On here there is a majority who agree with "the science" that is being promoted. I was even told that The Great Barrington Declaration "had been completely disproved". I'm still intrigued to know where that happened.

Sammyez

Yes, we differ in our conclusions, and the scientists we trust.

I believe that life is for living, as a good friend of mine often says, "We are here for a good time, not a long time." I see posters here whose quality of life seems to be measured purely in longevity.

On here there is a majority who agree with "the science" that is being promoted. I was even told that The Great Barrington Declaration "had been completely disproved". I'm still intrigued to know where that happened.
Rambling discourse...

Iain42

Iain42

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for May 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung's 110-inch Micro LED TV on pre-order at Harrods
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen introduces Beosound Emerge speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony launches native 4K VPL-VW290ES and VW890ES projectors