2019 65" Q950R OR 2018 75" Q900R

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by desti, Aug 13, 2019.

1. desti

desti
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,480
    I guess it depends on the pricing and whether value for money is a priority or not. What prices can you get for both?

Any reason you aren't considering the 77" OLEDs?

What about 2019 features, do you care that 2019 Samsungs will have apple airplay support?

Viewing distance? Viewing angles?

What about the kind of content you will pair with the TV? HDR? Viewing conditions?

3. desti

desti
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No reason about the 77" OLEDs can you compare or recommend against these models (I am a 40 year old TV noob!)

Was thinking of 8K upscaling (probably better in 2019 version?) 2.1 HMDi ?
    Viewing angles no sitting down issues with more than 45degree
    Viewing distance 10 feet.

Have Sky Q2TB coming, have Netflix UHD account and buy any new streaming in 4K if I can and have Amazon Prime. Have a 50mb Internet connection.

4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,480
    Main difference between the two Samsung's is the newer model has a wider viewing angle and comes with a one connect box that supports [email protected] Samsung have said they will upgrade the older models one connect box to include [email protected] support but I wouldn't count on it.

In terms of value for money though having a quick look at prices the older model is much better value for money and at 10ft away from even a 75" it will be hard to notice 4k with many sources, let alone 8k content if you ever pair that with the TV.

I wouldn't personally buy in to the Samsung marketing that says upscaling to 8k is better, the more pixels that have to be made up, the worse the picture will look. If you watch exclusively 4k content then an 8k TV will work fine, but it's not going to polish HD or below content and make it look better...and if you watch Sky Q the Sky box will handle all the upscaling up to 4k anyway. All a 8k TV will do is quadruple each pixel.

As for OLEDs, there is the LG C8 which should be available for a few hundred extra than the Q900R, that would probably give you much better overall picture quality with all content compared to an LCD...especially if you like to have dim lights or the lights off in the room. You'll also get dolby vision HDR support too.

If you wait a year the new C9 will also be priced close to what the C8 is now and will come with most, if not all HDMI v2.1 features.