Question 2019 27" iMac fan noise

babybearbarker

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just upgraded to a 2019 3ghz 5k 27" iMac and nearly jumped out of my skin when it suddenly started with fan noise when I wasn't using it, almost like it was over heating. I have heard this a few more times, both when streaming from Plex through Mac, but also when it isn't doing anything.

Anyone else had this or know what may be causing it - is it a known thing with the newer iMac?

Hi all,

Just upgraded to a 2019 3ghz 5k 27" iMac and nearly jumped out of my skin when it suddenly started with fan noise when I wasn't using it, almost like it was over heating. I have heard this a few more times, both when streaming from Plex through Mac, but also when it isn't doing anything.

Anyone else had this or know what may be causing it - is it a known thing with the newer iMac?

Not heard mine start up when not in use with the screen off but I’ve only had it a couple of weeks.
The fan on it is definitely louder then my 2015 model though (but still not particularly loud during normal use).

Maybe install something like SMC fan controller so that you can see temp and fan speed

Open up ActivityMonitor and check on all processes. macOS can launch many other activities in the background - TimeMachine backup, Spotlight indexing, etc. - even though you may not have "touched anything".

I use iStat Pro (probably now defunct and unsupported) and still works with Mojave and it can show what hardware components are literally heating up.

Here's a screenshot of iStat Pro in action. It works with Dock (configure to overlay instead of having the default Space option) - so this window "flies" in and out with mouse clicks.

Attachments

• iStat Pro with Mojave.png
    iStat Pro with Mojave.png
    76.5 KB · Views: 60
Cheers everyone, some useful tips!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom