2018 TV Shootout: AF8, C8 & FZ OLED vs Q9FN QLED

Roohster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should be interesting! :)
15th of July

"Now in its fifth year, the 2018 HDTVTest shootout event will take place in Greater London on Sunday the 15th of July. Four 65in 4K Ultra HD televisions from the leading TV brands in the United Kingdom will be compared, namely (in alphabetical order):

* LG OLED65C8PLA;
* Panasonic TX-65FZ952B or TX-65FZ802B (to be decided);
* Samsung QE65Q9FN; and
* Sony KD-65AF8."

Last edited:
Yeah strange happenings with linking to the site. Even going via anonym links do the same.

Just have go via the main site

It's a site that's on the AVForums blacklist. They don't want to send any traffic there so corrupt the link.

If you use any link shorteners to circumvent it, you run the risk of getting a warning. Petty as hell, but it's their site I guess.

It's a site that's on the AVForums blacklist. They don't want to send any traffic there so corrupt the link.

If you use any link shorteners to circumvent it, you run the risk of getting a warning. Petty as hell, but it's their site I guess.

I'll remove the URL, thanks for the warning.

id like to see an avforums do a shootout every year, if Hdtvtest can pull it off I'm sure the forums can

Well email sent so hopefully I can see the shootout, don't think that there will be that much in it between them all.

These things are kinda silly. Reminds me of the video game format comparisons where they'll show PC/Xbox/PS4 footage side by side and they all basically look EXACTLY the same. Yet still, people will talk themselves into a sweat over how one particular bit of foliage has a slightly smoother edge, or some such rubbish.

Bit of fun I guess. Still a little silly...

Probably the main difference I would notice is motion processing, as on my 65B6 OLED I can sometimes see horrible 'stutter' in panning shots.

I imagine that's gotten better in the last 2 years.

HDR gaming might be obviously different as well due to the different ABL the TV manufacturers have.

I like the idea of these tv shoot outs but they need to be a "blind" test similar to the Phillips event last year (see text below from the event news).

"The TVs were all 55-inch models, set to exactly the same height, and the bezels, stands and rears were hidden from view, thus making it impossible to distinguish one from the other – aside from picture quality of course. The TVs were purely identified as Set A, Set B, Set C and Set D. To make sure that no on-screen menus or displays gave away which TV was which, a black curtain was raised at certain times when sources were being changed.

This is important because unlike other shootouts, where the brands are clearly visible and thus possibly subject to personal bias, this test was completely 'blind' and thus eliminated any potential brand bias. This hopefully made the event more interesting compared to other shootouts because the ultimate scoring was based purely on the images shown to the attendees rather than any sub-conscious brand bias."

I like the idea of these tv shoot outs but they need to be a "blind" test similar to the Phillips event last year (see text below from the event news).

"The TVs were all 55-inch models, set to exactly the same height, and the bezels, stands and rears were hidden from view, thus making it impossible to distinguish one from the other – aside from picture quality of course. The TVs were purely identified as Set A, Set B, Set C and Set D. To make sure that no on-screen menus or displays gave away which TV was which, a black curtain was raised at certain times when sources were being changed.

This is important because unlike other shootouts, where the brands are clearly visible and thus possibly subject to personal bias, this test was completely 'blind' and thus eliminated any potential brand bias. This hopefully made the event more interesting compared to other shootouts because the ultimate scoring was based purely on the images shown to the attendees rather than any sub-conscious brand bias."

While a blind test is always something that can be very useful I also think it’s only useful ‘extra’. It is after all just a load of eyes (some good, some not so good) choosing what looks good to them.

I’d also want a good analytical appraisal of each TV with a write up saying this TV is doing this well and that less so.

I’m quite happy a pro telling me this TV is producing the most accurate PQ since I’m wanting a TV that most accurately produces what was intended

Don’t get me wrong I’m not going to blindly just go off an but anything I’m told but having these details for a number of sets will help me to make an informed decision.

Watching Vincent’s reviews, I’m pretty happy it’ll be unbiased, but yes, getting everyone’s opinions on TV brands that they can see? Less so.

Just curious but wouldn't it make more sense to do a shootout closer to the end of the year instead of the middle since your going to miss out on all the new sets that will be announced at IFA?

Just curious but wouldn't it make more sense to do a shootout closer to the end of the year instead of the middle since your going to miss out on all the new sets that will be announced at IFA?

Is there ever a perfect time to do this? IFA is nearly 3/4 of the year through the year.

If anything new does get announced then you have to wait for the TV's be become available, then organise to get the other TV's and the rest of the event. By the the that happens, everyone will just end up waiting for CES.

I think it makes more sense to do the test now.
By waiting for the end of the year, it's almost like reviewing last year's models.

True but I also don't think you can't call it a 2018 shootout if your not also including models from sept/October time. If you did the shootout in say November each year for example it would include all the years best sets. Either way I'm excited to see the results.

True but I also don't think you can't call it a 2018 shootout if your not also including models from sept/October time. If you did the shootout in say November each year for example it would include all the years best sets. Either way I'm excited to see the results.

It's also to try and help people on the fence about which one to buy to make their mind up and perhaps spend some money ,they don't just do it for the publicity although I'm sure it doesn't hurt...

Q9FN is going to win for HDR / WCG performance.

I though the HDtvtest shootout was a blind test. The sets are identified as A, B, C or D. Of course the identity of the QLED should be obvious by the increased brightness.

Q9FN is going to win for HDR / WCG performance.
I wouldn't be so sure of that , the dimming algorithm is quite aggressive isn't it, so if they use a starry sky scene for example, the Q9FN will not be showing all the stars visible unlike the oleds, there's more to hdr than brightness, its why the Sony zd9 didn't win the hdr part of the shootout last year, will be interested in seeing the results though

So who is going this Sunday? I am and i am looking forward to seeing the fz in action as been getting great reviews from hdtv test and just recently avf. Also wanna see how the af8 performs and if I can see the dimming issues on it. Plus will be good to see the qf9 and it's hdr vs the oleds.

Last edited:
I predict the panny fz952 will win cos the plasma crowd will turn up and automatically assume the panny is better due to their plasma heritage. There's nearly always a lot of people at these events that go with their mind already made up, personally until these sorts of events are blind ie you can't identify the TVs I will treat any results with a hefty dose of scepticism....

I though the HDtvtest shootout was a blind test. The sets are identified as A, B, C or D. Of course the identity of the QLED should be obvious by the increased brightness.

Never been a blind test before and I doubt it will be this time either..

I predict the panny fz952 will win cos the plasma crowd will turn up and automatically assume the panny is better due to their plasma heritage. There's nearly always a lot of people at these events that go with their mind already made up, personally until these sorts of events are blind ie you can't identify the TVs I will treat any results with a hefty dose of scepticism....
So you don't think it may win because it's actually a better tv:rolleyes:

Sure people will be biased towards certain tv's and since hdtv test and avf have both said that the fz is the best oled made its a pretty much a foregone conclusion that the Panasonic will win. Many people do care, and a bit anal about accuracy, so the most accurate set will always win out at these types of events.

But I expect all sets on display will look stunning and you won't go much wrong if you bought anyone of them. Whether the fz is worth the price vs say the c8 is going to be down to each individual and how much they are willing to spend,but for some people, better is better and are willing to pay extra for whatever minimum gains there is to be had.

So you don't think it may win because it's actually a better tv:rolleyes:

Sure people will be biased towards certain tv's and since hdtv test and avf have both said that the fz is the best oled made its a pretty much a foregone conclusion that the Panasonic will win. Many people do care, and a bit anal about accuracy, so the most accurate set will always win out at these types of events.

But I expect all sets on display will look stunning and you won't go much wrong if you bought anyone of them. Whether the fz is worth the price vs say the c8 is going to be down to each individual and how much they are willing to spend,but for some people, better is better and are willing to pay extra for whatever minimum gains there is to be had.
Better tv ?, slightly better image by all accounts,but better tv that would be a no ,the C8 ticks more boxes than any other 2018 Oled and is a bargain at current prices. I,m not just saying this because i have a C8 ,i can buy the 65 Fz952 for 2880 right now (through a work incentive site) and if i thought it was a better all-round set than the C8 i would have one right now:)

On another note has anyone read that ridiculous what hifarce C8 vs Q9FN article?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom