Quantcast

2017 Premium Turntable Comparison & Comments

LAMitchell

Great article, thanks for sharing Ed. Would be great to see more appearing through time including cartridges. Any chance the Michell Gyrodec might get added at some point as Id be interested in your thoughts on the Michell turntables.

Uppsalaing

Useful list... thinking of getting my first (and hopefully last :cool:) turntable sometime this year...

LAMitchell

Useful list... thinking of getting my first (and hopefully last :cool:) turntable sometime this year...
Bought mine in 2000, a gyrodec SE which has evolved with modified tone arm, plynth cartridge springs, motor and platter. You can always do improvements as and when budget allows. The turntable has lasted me 17 years and is still going strong.

Uppsalaing

@LAMitchell

i think we have an old pioneer turntable in storage somewhere. Was part of a 1980s hi-fi system, with cassette deck and radio tuner... I still have the speakers from that system hooked up to a receiver and TV in a spare room!

Unfortunately all of our records were stolen when or house was burgled in the early 90s. I only bought CDs after that.

I should dig up that turntable and get a record or two... will be interesting to see if/how it works.

mainaman

It is 2017,yet nothing beats vinyl for sound quality.I have heard much more expensive digital sources,an analogue setup for two grand(or even less,if second-hand) can be bettered only by more expensive analogue front ends.

If your budget cant stretch to these tables or dont want to spend much for your first deck,500 pounds is enough as a first step.I got my first turntable couple of years ago almost accidentally and since then i have stopped listening to digital as it just sounds phony.

Uppsalaing

So, I got the old Pioneer turntable out today. It's a model PL-5 from 1982 :cool:

Unfortunately, the motor seems to be dead. Decades of neglect in storage and being knocked about during a few house moves probably did it. Aparently it was considered a decent mid-fi direct drive turntable.

I guess, I'll start researching alternatives to buy. Maybe I'll get a basic, but robust model that anyone in the family can use and if I like that get a premium turntable for a proper dedicated stereo set-up... maybe...

I have a feeling this is going to be fun... I had bought a record to test the old turntable, so the collection is already growing :D

Last edited:

SonOfSJ

@Ed Selley Mr Selley, I would like to echo LAMitchell's comment in post #2 about the Michell Gyrodec turntable, such as here Michell GyroDec Hi-Fi Turntable - HiFi Corner and also the senior model, the Michell Orbe, like here Michell Orbe. A word also for the Roksan Xerxes, here Roksan Xerxes 20 Plus Turntable Chassis | Vickers HiFi. These three turntables have all been in production for over two decades - there is no television or surround-sound receiver that does more than two years - so their longevity, quite apart from their intrinsic very high quality, merits them places on your otherwise splendid list, no? :)

mainaman

I own a Xerxes 20Plus with a SME309 arm and they are worth every penny,but one can buy a decent first table for much less.The only real problem for a novice is the setup,especially when trying to get the most out of something like a Linn or Roksan and a non-conical stylus.

droidlike

fwiw, I'm starting right now with an at lp1240 tt
experimenting the best setup of vta/sra, azimuth/zenit
with a dino-lite usb microscope and an analog productions ultimate test lp,
then vinyl record cleaning systems
etc etc etc

it's being very fun and instrucive with a very steep learning curve so far
but now I'm getting amazing results I should say
that do not compare at all with any of my previous digital play

I'm even looking for the next tt
which I believe maybe around
an high-end pro-ject xtension10 with xlr cable
paired to a pro-ject phono box rs + powerbox phono rs
and maybe an mc cart too

something like this one

Last edited:

mainaman

fwiw, I'm starting right now with an at lp1240 tt
experimenting the best setup of vta/sra, azimuth/zenit
with a dino-lite usb microscope and an analog productions ultimate test lp,
then vinyl record cleaning systems
etc etc etc

it's being very fun and instrucive with a very steep learning curve so far
but now I'm getting amazing results I should say
that do not compare at all with any of my previous digital play

I'm even looking for the next tt
which I believe maybe around
an high-end pro-ject xtension10 with xlr cable
paired to a pro-ject phono box rs + powerbox phono rs
and maybe an mc cart too

something like this one

You cant do wrong with any of the premium tables(Xerxes,Orbe,Hyperspace,Xtension,PR10,Majik,etc.),just make sure to get a MC cart,which matches the arm and the phono stage.I havent heard them myself,but forum feedback suggests that the best midrange phono stages are slightly leftfield,the three box NVA and the unassuming iFi Phono MK2.A bigger budget can get a Longdog or BMC.

Top Bottom