2017 Oled Yellow/Red Tint

Discussion in 'OLED TVs Forum' started by steviedr, Sep 4, 2017.

1. steviedr

steviedr
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,541
      Hi,

I have climbed aboard the Oled train this year and have been delighted with what the technology provides.

I do have an issue that I can’t seem to remedy though.

I started with a 55” E7, it had a yellow tinted bar along the top of the screen. Even after a weeks’ worth of compensation cycles, while the banding improved, the tint remained the same. It can be seen in content, anything with snow or clouds, so for example watching this years season of GoT was a bit annoying.
      I decided to get a refund.

Then the LG 65” C7 reduced in price, while I knew there was an additional risk of banding, I thought I’d take it.

So my 65” C7 arrived and the picture was stunning and then I noticed John Snow traversing across some yellow snow, yes I had a yellow tint bar down the left-hand side. Ran it for a week, no difference.

I exchanged for another – same issue

And then another and the left-hand side was clean…just had a large yellow band in the middle of the screen.

While I can try another (if Currys allow), I decided to phone LG to see if there have been people reporting this – to my surprise they said they are unaware of the issue.
      This can’t be true, am I the only one suffering the yellow band? Its not my eyes, my wife can see it too.

Currys suggested trying another model (I had) and then another manufacturer, but they all have LGD panels, so assuming this variance is across them all.

Do any of you have the same issue?

If I didn’t see it in content, I wouldn’t be bothered, but £3K for yellow snow is a bit much.

I have about 10 days left to decide what to do. I don’t have another tv and as I said at the start, Oled is amazing, so I can’t go LCD.
      I am assuming I am going to have to put up with it unless its just the Scottish warehouses that have all the duff models :)

Interested to see if this affects you and to see if my assumption on the issue is across all manufactures and not just LG.

Attached are various shots of the models showing 100% IRE slide and a snow scene.

Edit: Now adding Red tint to the thread reported by some users.

Cheers.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    2. iwb100

iwb100
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,138
      Look at flat panels TV reviews. They put up pictures of OLEDs for every one they review at 100% and 5%. Every single one has some tint to an extent or another.

My C6 has a slightly more yellow middle band. It is noticeable on 100% just. My wife of course cannot see it.

Never been able to pick it out in content, and I've watched the latest game of thrones series and looked closely. Could never see it. It is faint though even on a slide. If for example, I switch from warm 2 to warm 1 I cannot see it at all even on 100%.

Yours look far more pronounced.

3. steviedr

steviedr
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,541
      Thanks, yes I can put up with some tint and even banding as I only see it in some dark scenes, but so far the yellow tint is very irritating, not sure if I'd be able to get used to it.

4. drdocmatt

drdocmatt

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +283
      Go join the owners threads, they are full of similar stories. Seems to be generic to OLED.

5. Piosonic

Piosonic

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +46
      Yes, but red. Also varies with viewing angle. Strange. 3000 worth of high end technology and can't make colours right.

6. steviedr

steviedr
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,541
      I have, been on the C & E7 threads.
      Main issues are banding, but I agree tint free seems to be a bit of luck and something I may have to live with.

I created this thread as there would be 10 + threads to go through covering the various oled models this year and some are rather large (I know I can search for keywords within each thread).

Cheers

7. steviedr

steviedr
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,541
      Thanks, haven't read any Red issue posts yet, maybe I should be thankful of yellow!

Cheers

8. joysRus

joysRus

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +106
      Its the pol filterwhich is needed for the bottom emitting oleds. The strange thing is that the coloured stain is at different locations in different tvs and is also subject to viewing angles.

9. Piosonic

Piosonic

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +46
      This is interesting. Wonder if that is considered a fault or a feature? My tint is now on the right side of the only and can be seen when moving to the right and disappears when moving even more to the side. At the same time the left side gets just a slight magenta tint compared to pure white. This could well be just what you said, the filter. Fortunately from straight ahead and from left side the panel (pana 950) is practically flawless.

10. thewhofan

thewhofan

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +309
      Wouldn't this also cause problems if you were wanting to get it pro calibrated. Which ever part of the screen you chose to take the measurements, the other parts would be wrong. Also, one of OLED's main selling points is wide viewing angle. That's of no use if you start to see tints off angle. Not having a dig at OLED as my next TV will be one but seems as though they need to up the quality control on some of these set.

11. steviedr

steviedr
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,541
      You're correct if the tint is central, I guess you could move the meter..
      Honestly, while this is annoying I can't emphasise enough how great oled actually is, the uhd HDR content is something else !!

12. deon444

deon444
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,260
      My first e7 had tint down the left hand side, was about 4" wide.didnt see it on much content but the adverts when on white screen it could be clearly seen, had bad banding so sent it back, but second one is tint free.

From the first oleds tint has always been a issue. Had tint on both my 2 980 and 870. The 930 oleds had pink/red tint on nearly all of them. Most of that thread was about the tint. Yellow tint on the 2015 oleds, 2016 they seemed to have fixed it and was far less of a issue. But this year it has seemed to go backwards, along with uniformity and are not as good as last years,. Thankfully my e7 has no yellow tint that I seen on any content and banding not too much of a issue and very happy with it.
      Taken just a minute ago
      20170904_205705.jpg

13. steviedr

steviedr
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,541
      Thanks - looks great, gives me hope I may get a lucky break !

14. wezzywebb

wezzywebb
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,081
      Here's mine 20170904_212428.jpg

15. wezzywebb

wezzywebb
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,081
      I only really see the yellow band down the right hand side

16. steviedr

steviedr
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,541
    17. wezzywebb

wezzywebb
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,081
      Theres a solid band down the righthand side edge ,but it really doesn't bother me much if I,m honest ,certainly not enough to think about swapping

18. steviedr

steviedr
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,541
      Ah, can't see that on my phone, shall inspect tomorrow on the pc.
      I have a returns number but watching other content it looks great, so may delay a few more days before I decide to book a pickup.

19. wezzywebb

wezzywebb
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,081
      It doesn’t really show up on slides mate ,other than that and uniformity it’s a very vibrant panel ,lovely picture

20. Arith

Arith

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +24
      My third 55B7 goes back to Currys Thursday due to yellow staining. Asked for refund this time, not sure where to go from here. Everyone of the 3 panels was unique in its staining, and maybe I should have kept number two, as this latest Aug build is worse. Crazy that i can look at a white slide and see multiple shades in different areas each TV. Looking at the panels above in this thread, its clear theres some I could live with, but the thought of returning 7 or more to get there.. Been at this malarky since end of July now, and it stops you just enjoying content.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    21. steviedr

steviedr
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,541
      I know, it's a shame.
      I'm still loving the tv, watching The Tree of Life and looks amazing.
      Part of me thinks I'll put up with it as I only see it in certain content.
      But then watched a bit of Schindler to see how this bad girl does B/W and you can see some yellow stains but I can't go LCD and sold my plasma, so they have me cornered :)

I was hoping August would be better :(

What are you going to do next as last years oleds (if you could get one) had their own unique issues ?

22. steviedr

steviedr
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,541
      Good to see the pole percentage starting to come down !

23. Arith

Arith

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +24
      I wish I knew. The reason I am changing TV(at this point I'm loathe to use the term upgrading) is the X1X in November. Already got new amp and atmos speakers back in the spring. TV was wait and see, knowing I could leave it till autumn. I jumped early with the 25% off thing.

Each time I've spent at least a week or more with the B7's seeing If i could live with it. And each time I decided I couldn't on a high end TV. If this was some £800 job it'd be different, but it baffles me LG seem to think these panels are acceptable. Perfect Black. Not that Perfect White.

Good shout on trying a B/W film, hadn't thought of that.

The options open aren't that great too. Try LG again in october. Try a panasonic ez952 with no DV and a £500 premium..and it's still an lg 2017 panel. Or go LCD, best options seem to be sony xe90 or xe93, but both seem expensive.

I've been spoiled by my last 2 plasma TV's, maybe If i had come from a cloudy dse ridden led this non uniform white wouldnt seem so bad :) Like you though, when the oled is shining its incredible. Gears4 and FH3 in hdr on the x1s look stunning.

All this with HFR E-arc hdmi 2.1 etc round the corner ..

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    24. steviedr

steviedr
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,541
      Yeah, I had thought get a stop gap until next year...just don't know what that stop gap would be :)

25. Goldorak

Goldorak
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,390
      You seriously thinking that oled so bad this year that à stop gap is a better option?
      Seeing all this forum member changing TVs is a bit worrying indeed

26. steviedr

steviedr
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,541
      Oled is fantastic it's just I'm loosing hope of getting a yellow tint free one so I'm going to have to put up with it.
      Part of me thinks I should not have to be putting up with it, so get something to keep me going and try again next year - I don't want to believe me, what would I get anyway though:)
      It's such a great tech and kills my plasma, it's just at £3k I'd like a good one, I'm hoping I'm just unlucky.

27. thewhofan

thewhofan

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +309
      Looks to me like as display technology involves, quality control devolves. As long as people keep returning duff sets hopefully manufacturers will get the message but most likely Joe public won't even notice the tint.

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    28. disco74

disco74

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +140
      My LG C7 goes back tomorrow for a refund. It has yellow tint and banding. I am going to keep an eye on the forums and see if these problems clear up and then maybe get another one. Oled is awesome but when paying 3k for a tv its not unreasonable to not put up with these issues is it???

29. weeman2

weeman2

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +376
      I had the B7 never noticed any staining on that,had it for less than 24 hours,returned (vertical banding)

Then got the C7 virtually no banding except in very dark scenes it was a keeper until i saw the yellow staining down the left hand side of the panel,returned.

Then tried the panny 952 excellent picture,no staining,but a great big vertical band down the right hand side of the panel,seen it on football when panning that was enough for me returned.

I now want to try the Sony A1:p I need to wait until my Currys Your Plan credit resets,that's a bloody nightmare,going into the 3rd week now and still nothing.:mad:.

What i will say is this,I'll not be getting an LG,it will be the Panny 952 or the A1,if the A1 has bad banding,then I'll just stick to the Panasonic until i get a good one,the picture was cracking on the one i got,it had the best picture out of the 3 above mentioned tvs,I'll only buy an Lg oled if they fall to funny money in the coming weeks.;)

George

30. steviedr

steviedr
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,541
      I am assuming as they all share the same LGD panels, banding and tint may occur across any Oled this year, just a bit of luck on what you get.

Interesting comments on the picture quality, its such a shame Panny aren't looking at DV this year.
      I know they are going all HDR10+ but the DV ship has sailed so there will be some catching up to do.

I hope you get a good A1, there are guys returning them from a banding perspective too but plenty of others still enjoying it from day 1.

I don't know if it is because LGD are flat out with demand that QC has slipped a bit to get the numbers out the door, or if the issues are the same as the last few years and its just part of the manufacturing process, we could be seeing this issues for a few more years...

£3-4k is a great price for the tech we are getting, but for some of us £3k is still a large amount of money for a tv, so expectations will be high.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • List