2017 iPad Pro models

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
Apple Announces New 10.5-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro Models With Advanced Displays

Apple today announced a new 10.5-inch iPad Pro and a redesigned 12.9-inch iPad Pro at its WWDC keynote on Monday in San Jose, California.

The new 10.5-inch iPad Pro has a 20 percent larger display, made possible by reducing the tablet's borders by 40 percent, yet it still weighs just 1 pound. It allows the display of a full size onscreen keyboard and enables users to attach a full size Smart Keyboard. Apple will offer the new Smart Keyboards in 30 more languages.

ipad-10.5.jpg

Both new iPad models come with new displays, featuring True tone, wide color gamut, ultralow reflectivity, 600 nits brightness, and HDR video support.

The 10.5-inch iPad Pro will start at $649 with 64GB storage and Wi-Fi only, and $779 for 64GB storage and cellular capabilities. The 12.9-inch iPad Pro starts at $799 for 64GB and Wi-Fi only, and $929 for 64GB with cellular. 256GB and 512GB storage capacities are available for both models.

Flatcoat

I should receive a Pro 10.5 64 cellular tomorrow to replace an Air 2. I use the iPad quite a lot outside so am hoping the screen visibility with the new one is much better. If not, I have the option of returning it to Apple for a full refund within 14 days.

NewfieDrool

Banned
I'm so tempted by the 10.5. My old mini is now painful to use with no end of crashes on safari and its recently started to show a black screen where I have to reboot most mornings. It's done well but it's had its day.

SHATNERSTACTIC

Similar experience here - sadly it looks like the mini's days look numbered. I've gone for a 10.5 but I would have stuck at the mini size had it been offered with the same spec.

It's a shame the 10.5 will not be able to run apps in iPad UI when side by side in 50:50 split, like the 12.9 can, but ergonomics win out for me and I remain unconvinced about how much of my productivity workflow I could shift from the Mac to an iPad anyway.

Last edited:

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Ordered a 10.5 256gb in rose gold for the wife from J Lewis last night, pickup tomorrow from our local Waitrose.

Same price as Applestore but with free 3yr warranty rather than 1 yr from Apple.

gunark

Seems the 12.9" are a bit thin on the ground today in Argos and Currys. Grr.

kbfern

Distinguished Member

Flatcoat

Just picked up a Pro 10.5 64 cellular from Apple to replace my Air 2. I use the iPad outside quite a bit and the new one is definitely better in this respect - not a massive difference but still better.

It is a bit heavier and a bit bigger than the Air 2 but in return the screen is significantly bigger. I will send the 10.5 back to Apple and am getting one from John Lewis with the 3 year warranty.

MahaRaja

I bought Ipad Pro 9.7 when it was launched, from JL rather than the Apple Store, due to the extra warranty.
Wanted to see the new 2017 Ipads at my local Apple Store but they don't have it even on display!
The internet is full of demos and reviews of new 10.5 inch size but no reviews on the largest Ipad Pro 12.9 inch. To be honest, I thought they would get the OLED screen by now for their Ipad Pro. Not sure how much anti-reflective coating they have applied to the new Ipads, as Ipad Pro 9.7 also has anti-reflective materials.

I would have love to see a comparison between the old 12.9 Ipad pro vs 2017 12.9 Ipad Pro, to see if the size is the same and what have they improved upon but sadly nothing on the Internet to find out, as they seem to be obsessed with 10.5 version.

My second gen Ipad is still running, but it's quite slow, so waiting for that to die, before I replace it but it won't be a Pro model, as we just do basic surfing, so a basic Ipad is required as the Ipad Pro is quite expensive.

W90WBA

Currently debating selling my Air 2 and my MacBok Air and getting a 12.9 iPad Pro and using that as a replacement for the MacBook, with what I use my MacBook for it just seems to make sense for me, waiting to see how good iOS 11 is in the iPad first though

NewfieDrool

Banned
Well I've done the deed. Went for the 10.5 with just the standard 64gb storage.
Watched a few YouTube vids and it looks very nice.
My old mini which is 5 years old really struggles now so I'm hoping this new iPad has me smiling.

dpb69

Anyone recommend a case for 10.5 that also can hold a the pen? Thx

tpr007

New iPad, 10.5, updated to ios11...

Screen record is a nice feature, but how do I make it record in landscape?

You see what I mean? Orientation lock was off

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sharp showcases its upcoming 4K TV and audio line-up
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022