2017 HDR TV overview

swampie

Im looking at the Sony 65xe8596 costing £1299 or the Samsung ue65mu6120 costing much less at £889.
All I ever watch is Freeview (which I've decided on the Panasonic PWT655 pvr), Netflix or Blu Rays.

Could you say if the extra cash is worth spending for my viewing habits please guys?

Dodgexander

Im looking at the Sony 65xe8596 costing £1299 or the Samsung ue65mu6120 costing much less at £889.
All I ever watch is Freeview (which I've decided on the Panasonic PWT655 pvr), Netflix or Blu Rays.

Could you say if the extra cash is worth spending for my viewing habits please guys?
No, the extra cash isn't worth it for you.

Not sure if this was asked - though how come some television models are using black text where the others have the blue or green to indicate panel type? Is there a third panel type I am unaware of?
Black Text just means I am not sure of the panel type. Samsung especially seem to have different variants of the same TV, often only in different areas. For example here in the UK it seems most 49" TVs from Samsung use IPS where as elsewhere they may be VA.

Daigo

Novice Member
Hello, this is my first post on this site. I find this topic very interesting but I still have a quick question. When a TV is advertised as Dolby Vision compatible, is it automatically in category 4 or higher on your list?

I’m asking this because I’m in the market for a new TV and I want it to be future-proof. If it has Dolby Vision I would think that it should be fine, right?

Thanks in advance

Dodgexander

Hello, this is my first post on this site. I find this topic very interesting but I still have a quick question. When a TV is advertised as Dolby Vision compatible, is it automatically in category 4 or higher on your list?

I’m asking this because I’m in the market for a new TV and I want it to be future-proof. If it has Dolby Vision I would think that it should be fine, right?

Thanks in advance
Dolby Vision support doesn't make a TV good with HDR. For example the LG LCD TV's tend to mostly have Dolby Vision yet none of them are capable HDR performers.

With other brands though they tend to come hand in hand. LG OLEDs and Sony's higher end TVs come with Dolby Vision support and happen to be good with HDR.

Daigo

Novice Member
That’s good to know, thank you.
I think I will settle on a Sony XE9305. It seems to be very good and Dolby Vision will come through a firmware update in January

pinecooler

Hi hoping you could clarify something.

Where do the Samsung KS9000 TVs sit? Looking at rtings reviews for the MU, KS and Q series it seems to sit somewhere in the middle. It seems to be as good as the Q7 but not much better than the MU8000

Limmylom

Standard Member
Hi Dodgexander. Many thanks for all your guides! Do you have a 2018 guide planned or can you help with a recommendation?

I can't seem to find any of the 2017 models you recommend at reputable dealers so I've been looking at 2018 models mostly.

I'm looking for a 55inch TV with good HDR and 4K (via Netflix and XB1X) with a budget of around £1,100. I like the idea of OLED/QLED. I've been offered the 2018 Samsung Q6 55inch for £1050 from RGB Direct. Is there better options around this price range? Is there a Hisense equivalent I should be looking at?

Many thanks!

Dodgexander

Hi Dodgexander. Many thanks for all your guides! Do you have a 2018 guide planned or can you help with a recommendation?

I can't seem to find any of the 2017 models you recommend at reputable dealers so I've been looking at 2018 models mostly.

I'm looking for a 55inch TV with good HDR and 4K (via Netflix and XB1X) with a budget of around £1,100. I like the idea of OLED/QLED. I've been offered the 2018 Samsung Q6 55inch for £1050 from RGB Direct. Is there better options around this price range? Is there a Hisense equivalent I should be looking at?

Many thanks!
I am due a 2018 guide ;)

Sony XF9005 is the goto model for your needs and is a lot better than Samsung's alternatives this year for value.

The Samsung Q6 does not get as bright or have local dimming, integral for better HDR.

Limmylom

Standard Member
I am due a 2018 guide ;)

Sony XF9005 is the goto model for your needs and is a lot better than Samsung's alternatives this year for value.

The Samsung Q6 does not get as bright or have local dimming, integral for better HDR.

Got it thanks! I guess there's no chance of worthy OLED's in this price range? And if I could get hold of a 2017 model would your recommendation still be the same?

Dodgexander

Got it thanks! I guess there's no chance of worthy OLED's in this price range? And if I could get hold of a 2017 model would your recommendation still be the same?
Right now there is the electriQ OLED but its only available from appliancesdirect.co.uk without the usual 5-6 year warranty you get from richer sounds/john lewis. It is however arguably a better TV overall than the Sony.

But if you are looking at the major brands there is only the FHD A7 LG OLED, also only available in one place without an extended warranty: ebuyer.com.

Maybe when this years crop of lower range OLEDs from the big manufacturers go into clearance spring/summer next year there will be one of those closer to £1000. Last year the B7 and C7 got as low as £1350 then but only £1750 come black friday.

Limmylom

Standard Member
Right now there is the electriQ OLED but its only available from appliancesdirect.co.uk without the usual 5-6 year warranty you get from richer sounds/john lewis. It is however arguably a better TV overall than the Sony.

But if you are looking at the major brands there is only the FHD A7 LG OLED, also only available in one place without an extended warranty: ebuyer.com.

Maybe when this years crop of lower range OLEDs from the big manufacturers go into clearance spring/summer next year there will be one of those closer to £1000. Last year the B7 and C7 got as low as £1350 then but only £1750 come black friday.

I just found the B7 for £1199 on the RGB Direct website. I'm guessing I could probably get a discount added too. I noticed mentioned the following:

"Peak brightness measured 750 nits on a 10% windowed pattern in the TV’s most accurate HDR preset, representing roughly a 100-nit increase over 2016 sets. The 1000-nit figure quoted by LG only applies to very small window sizes in the overly-blue HDR Vivid mode"

I remember reading you wouldn't recommend anything below 1000 nit for HDR. Did you mean the the quoted manufacturer figure?

Dodgexander

I remember reading you wouldn't recommend anything below 1000 nit for HDR. Did you mean the the quoted manufacturer figure?
This is for LCDs. OLEDs show much more detail in darker areas which our eyes pick up a lot better than lighter areas so peak brightness with HDR on OLEDs isn't as important.

I don't even think the B8 will get close to that price come black friday, seems like a very good price to me.

Limmylom

Standard Member
This is for LCDs. OLEDs show much more detail in darker areas which our eyes pick up a lot better than lighter areas so peak brightness with HDR on OLEDs isn't as important.

I don't even think the B8 will get close to that price come black friday, seems like a very good price to me.

Thought I’d come back and thank you for all your help. It seems I made a bit of a schoolboy error listing the price and store of the LG B7 since it was sold that night. Could be a coincidence though.

Anyway, I somehow managed to get the B8 instead from the same place for the same price of £1,199 after calling them up so I’m really pleased (probably helped that the last two tv’s I tried to buy from them were no longer available). I even got a bonus next day delivery since they had a couple of other orders coming to my area so I’m quite excited now especially having read further reviews and it’s all thanks to your recommendation so thanks again!

Analysis

Banned
I am due a 2018 guide ;)

Yeah I was just gonna ask when the 2018 guide will be up and running ;)

gahbes

Novice Member
Hi Dodgexander, you mention a 43"MU64xx in this and few other threads. Is this a typo or is there actually a 43" version of the MU64xx series? I can only find 40" or 49".

The UE40MU6400 seems to tick all the boxes for me but I'm struggling to find a decent 43" alternative. The UE43MU6100 gets good reviews but lacks WCG. I thought the UE43NU7400 would be perfect but it's listed as "Samsung’s worst 4K TV" on the Which? website even though it gets decent reviews here and they recommend the LG 43UK6300PLB but I don't want RGBW. I know at this size I would have to sit very close to even notice the difference in resolution but I need actual 4k res for camera tests.

I primarily want something to watch movies with the best possible picture quality at this size and natural colours. Room is never dark and I would prefer bigger viewing angle so I assume IPS would be fine but could easily check in store for VA if necessary.

Assuming there isn't a 43" MU64xx, I'm torn between the Panasonic TX43FX650B and Samsung UE43NU7400 but would also consider the UE43MU6100 if you think HDR on the other two is not worth it.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:

Analysis

Banned
Hi Dodgexander, you mention a 43"MU64xx in this and few other threads. Is this a typo or is there actually a 43" version of the MU64xx series? I can only find 40" or 49".

The UE40MU6400 seems to tick all the boxes for me but I'm struggling to find a decent 43" alternative. The UE43MU6100 gets good reviews but lacks WCG. I thought the UE43NU7400 would be perfect but it's listed as "Samsung’s worst 4K TV" on the Which? website even though it gets decent reviews here and they recommend the LG 43UK6300PLB but I don't want RGBW. I know at this size I would have to sit very close to even notice the difference in resolution but I need actual 4k res for camera tests.

I primarily want something to watch movies with the best possible picture quality at this size and natural colours. Room is never dark and I would prefer bigger viewing angle so I assume IPS would be fine but could easily check in store for VA if necessary.

Assuming there isn't a 43" MU64xx, I'm torn between the Panasonic TX43FX650B and Samsung UE43NU7400 but would also consider the UE43MU6100 if you think HDR on the other two is not worth it.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

MU6400 is only 40" and 49"

Analysis

Banned
"Samsung’s worst 4K TV" on the Which? website

I wouldn't take any notice of that review, a pinch of salt.

My advice is look at multiple sources and then way up the amount of positive vs negative, using the SWAT testing method, this would give you the clearest picture overall.

gahbes

Novice Member
If you want ips I would look at the Sony or Philips models but the LG isn't bad if you want slightly worse picture quality for the better smart TV.

Thanks, between the Panasonic TX-43FX65, Samsung 43MU6100 and 43NU7400 which one would you choose?

Analysis

Banned
Thanks, between the Panasonic TX-43FX65, Samsung 43MU6100 and 43NU7400 which one would you choose?

For IPS the FX, but the NU7400 comes in both VA and IPS, so you would have to post the serial number and service ID so we could tell which panel it has for definite. The owner's thread is the best place for real user input for both tvs.

Dodgexander

The only TV for sure to be using IPS from those is the Panasonic so I would go for that model. The others are a different panel type, VA with narrow viewing angles.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

KEF adds Ci160ES to Architectural Speaker range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Hisense increases Laser TV sales following Euros
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung Smart Start offer grants access to premium TV apps
  • By Andy Bassett