Quantcast

2017 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player Best Buy Comparison & Comments

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
Not really sure why the UB700 having no Analogue outs is a Con as such, most don't use them & if you need them go for a UB900, just my thoughts of course.:)

Kotatsu Neko

Quick question - why was the Sony dinged in the negatives column for not including DV, but the others players missing DV weren't?

Other than that, nice article Steve. I had the LG myself but found it to be both noisy and flimsy. I have the Sony now and I'm happy with it so far. I just wish it had a backlit remote. (which really should be a standard feature on all but budget players)

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
it just depends what you want, if you want video and the best audio from the machine..the oppo 205 cant be touched by anything in the list. if you just want movies, and dont care about appearance, the cheapest in the list would suffice. to me that's it in a nutshell

zubeir

I was very surprised that Sony decided not to add Dolby Vision to their player when they released an OLED amongst other LED TV's with DV. Doesn't add up.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Not really sure why the UB700 having no Analogue outs is a Con as such, most don't use them & if you need them go for a UB900, just my thoughts of course.:)
Quick question - why was the Sony dinged in the negatives column for not including DV, but the others players missing DV weren't.
It's listed as a con for the Sony because as a universal player the X800 can be considered a direct competitor to the Oppo 203 which does support Dolby Vision. The same logic was applied to the UB700, which is essentially a UB900 without any analogue outputs.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
I was very surprised that Sony decided not to add Dolby Vision to their player when they released an OLED amongst other LED TV's with DV. Doesn't add up.
Sony's decision to adopt Dolby Vision on their TVs was taken very late, just days before CES from what I could tell, and they still haven't actually released the update yet. The X800 and X1000 would have been in development long before that decision was made and they obviously use a chip set that doesn't support Dolby Vision. I would expect Sony's next Ultra HD Blu-ray players to support Dolby Vision though because they will have been developed after the decision was made to support the format on their high-end TVs.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
im hoping hdr 10+ is adopted by at least oppo on the current machines

Steve Withers

Reviewer
im hoping hdr 10+ is adopted by at least oppo on the current machines
It will be interesting to see what happens with regards to HDR10+ because it isn't even part of the Ultra HD Blu-ray standards at the moment.

Sonic67

Distinguished Member

kepha

I have personally been desperate for physical media to die for a long time. I really hate CD's. I no longer own a single physical game on any of my new games consoles (3DS, PS4, Switch) - I just buy them digitally.

That being said, Blu-Rays, and especially UHD more recently I own and watch on physical media. Streaming quality is just incomparable and I still haven't found a place where I can download RAW UHD quality movies due to licensing or whatever. if I could do so I would store these on a NAS or other media server and consume them that way. Of course I can buy them physically and rip them to do this myself but it is time consuming.

For reference I have the Oppo 203. It's expensive but if you haggle around it's possible to get it marginally cheaper than the £650 retail price.

When you open the box you immediately get a real air of quality with the packaging. The accessories are nicely packaged in an oppo box and the device is wrapped in an Oppo hand bag. I'm a sucker for good packaging and Oppo didn't disappoint me.

The remote is the heaviest of all the remotes for my devices which is weird, but gives a feeling of quality. It has a motion sensor in the remote which activates the backlight when you pick it up which is cool and pretty functional.

As far as the actual player goes it does what you'd expect it to and does it well from my experience with it so far. It's probably roughly 10 times faster at loading Blu Ray movies over my PS4 and completely silent.

Overall I would recommend it!

21744414_10155491695745926_577910408_n.jpg

Steve Withers

Reviewer
"Ultra HD Blu-ray might well end up being the last physical format, as consumers move towards a downloading and streaming future, but it offers a level of picture and sound quality that is quite simply unrivalled."

Disks are the thing that just won't die.

Will there be a physical format to replace Blu-Ray?

From 2008:

Blu-ray is dead - heckuva job, Sony! | ZDNet

Blu-ray will be dead by 2012. Here's why... | TechRadar
Well I did say might. Personally I say "long live UHD Blu-ray!"

Chamberlain

Quick question - why was the Sony dinged in the negatives column for not including DV, but the others players missing DV weren't?

Other than that, nice article Steve. I had the LG myself but found it to be both noisy and flimsy. I have the Sony now and I'm happy with it so far. I just wish it had a backlit remote. (which really should be a standard feature on all but budget players)
Ive had it since may and i still accidently press home instead of play often, so annoying.

Sonic67

Distinguished Member
Well I did say might. Personally I say "long live UHD Blu-ray!"
I rented Guardians of the Galaxy 2 from Amazon Prime on Sunday.

My first thought was, "I need to get this on UHD."

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Interesting I was going to get the Sony 900 blu ray thinking it had support for dolby vision!
I'm not aware of an X900 player but Sony have announced the X1000, which is essentially the custom install version of the X800. I would expect Sony's next proper UHD Blu-ray player to support Dolby Vision but who knows, this is Sony after all.

peahead

Are there any new and upcoming players with support for Dolby Vision steve but at a reasonable price?

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Are there any new and upcoming players with support for Dolby Vision steve but at a reasonable price?
The only Dolby Vision players at the moment are the two Oppos, the LG and one from Funai (who own the Philips brand in the States) but it's less than four months until CES, so I guess we'll hear a lot more then.

Roohster

Distinguished Member
I've got a UB700 which is a great machine.
Decent price and not as noisy as previous Panasonics I've owned.

Big downside for me is no multi region, hope to upgrade to an Oppo 203 eventually (I've got a 103D multi region and love the build quality).

DrHarvey12

I had the money saved up for the Oppo 203 but I couldn't pull the trigger. My heart said yes but my head flatly refused to budge!!!

Ended up with a refurbished UB900 from the Panasonic Outlet. Very happy with it so far.

I expect I might need to upgrade in a couple of years time for something with DV assuming the format takes off. Hopefully by then there will be more choice for a DV compatible player rather than very expensive or very flimsy!

kahlua

buy right,buy once.:smoke:

Trending threads

Latest News

Vizio announces Disney+ available on SmartCast TVs
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio-Technica reveals Kokutan and Asada Zakura headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky announces combined Sky Sports and BT Sport packages
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Qobuz drops MP3s and introduces Studio Premier Plan
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Micro LED TV alternative to modular design on the way?
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Top Bottom