2016 premium Samsung tv - smart in 2016 , dumb in 2020

geos207

Novice Member
Reaction score
2016 premium tv - smart in 2016 , dumb in 2020

In 2016 Samsung announced a new line of tvs and a new app SmartThings.

Sadly , 3 years after I purcased a 1500 euro samsung smart TV , the tv is no loger so smart.

All the options from the smartthings app are lost and my tv is no longer supported. They just deleted all 2016 models from the compatibility list !

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200512-082624_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200512-082624_Chrome.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_20200512-082706_SmartThings.jpg
    Screenshot_20200512-082706_SmartThings.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 35
Had the same problem with an LG a few years ago, and that's what made me buy a Roku. A little bit more outlay, but worth every penny.

As addyeddy says a roku or fire stick or push the boat out for a nvidia Shield

Agree, but is it ok for such a big companny to control the planned obsolence by making parts of the product useless after a while ?

Agree, but is it ok for such a big companny to control the planned obsolence by making parts of the product useless after a while ?

It’s not ok but it is part of the world today, look at mobile phones and tablets, there just the same.

I am not sure that it is planned obsolescence. TVs are not really a high profit margin product so it simply does not make financial sense to keep providing updates for old models. How large the company is that makes the TV is not at all relevant.

If you want something that will be supported for the longer term then an external box such as a Roku or an Apple TV is a better option. Eventually even these will lose support but that is reasonable given their low price as you can simply go out and buy another.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom