2016 LG OLED TVs - anyone else having a problem with Dolby Vision for British shows on Netflix?

NicolasB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Netflix app on my LG G6 has recently started having issues with Dolby Vision on certain videos - they're advertised as Dolby Vision but play as HDR instead.

So far I've established that it affects 14 out of 15 episodes of Black Mirror (seasons 3 to 5 - earlier seasons are not supposed to be in DV), all six episodes of After Life, and also The Disappearance of Madeleine McCann.

My working theory is that it's a general problem with 25fps material (as 24fps stuff like the Marvel series doesn't seem to be affected); and I suspect it's some kind of confusion between 25fps and 50fps labelling. (This would affect 2016-issue OLED TVs which can handle Dolby Vision at up to 30Hz, but not 50Hz).

Could I ask B6, C6, E6 and G6 owners to try playing some of those things and see if they have the same problem? And, if you do, could you complain to Netflix about it?

A strange anomaly is that the Black Mirror episode called "Arkangel" plays correctly, even though 14 other episodes of Black Mirror don't. So it's clearly something Netflix could fix if they could be bothered; but they probably won't bother unless more people complain about it.

(All of the affected stuff plays correctly on my new Apple TV 4K, incidentally, so it's definitely a problem with the TV app; and some of those Black Mirror episodes used to play correctly using the TV app, so they've broken something fairly recently).

Hi NicolasB,

Your working theory is indeed correct. The issue is the 25fps material, which is why DV films work fine on Netflix. The good news is that an external source doesn't have this issue. Like you I now use an Apple TV 4K with my C6 Oled for DV material. I am able to play everything on netflix without issue.

Black Mirror had certain episodes at 24hz which is why some do play correctly. Although from my experience the other episodes have never played in DV, only HDR10, this isn't a recent update to netflix and has always been a limitation of in built apps.

I had this issue a few times with my B6. Think the first time I noticed it was Sex Education?

Had a long and meaningless online chat with a Netflix colleague, who concluded that my TV obviously was not DV able! :facepalm:

I gave up after and just accepted it was a glitch on some shows as was still getting HDR. Then it happened again with another show (can't remember what now?), and emailed them. No response at all.

Edit: Just saw a previous post I made on it and the other show was After Life like you.

Last edited:
I've twice spent several hours talking to Netflix support via "live chat" about this. Both times I was told that if I watched the video for a few minutes it should spontaneously switch from HDR to DV. This, incidentally, was not the advice of the first guy to answer the support call, it was handed down from the people the issue was escalated to.

(sigh)

In the end they acknowledged that wasn't going to work and said they'd investigate farther, but I don't believe that for a moment.

Encountered the same problem but on my Nvidia Shield,lip sync was way out too.
On the app of my LG TV tho it played fine in DV.

Encountered the same problem but on my Nvidia Shield,lip sync was way out too.
On the app of my LG TV tho it played fine in DV.
The Shield isn't capable of Dolby Vision output under any circumstances, so that's not really comparable. :)

Oh well mine is working fine then,i do find the quality of DV is hit or miss with Netflix tho.

Thread bump time.

Starting to have issues again with some titles on Netflix being advertised as DV, but only playing in HDR on my LG B6 app? Looked back on this thread and saw that it was Sex Education I noticed it on last year, and it was the 2nd season that I noticed again?

Just started the new show The Stranger with shows as DV, but started playing in HDR as well? Will try the next episode through my ATV, but the lip sync is way out and a pain to adjust every time!

Obviously not the end of the world, just wondered if anyone else is having the same issues?

Thread bump time.

Starting to have issues again with some titles on Netflix being advertised as DV, but only playing in HDR on my LG B6 app? Looked back on this thread and saw that it was Sex Education I noticed it on last year, and it was the 2nd season that I noticed again?

Just started the new show The Stranger with shows as DV, but started playing in HDR as well? Will try the next episode through my ATV, but the lip sync is way out and a pain to adjust every time!

Obviously not the end of the world, just wondered if anyone else is having the same issues?

Had a quick look, The first episode of The Stranger plays in Dolby Vision on my C8.

Had a quick look, The first episode of The Stranger plays in Dolby Vision on my C8.
Just checked on my ATV and plays DV fine, but with lip sync issues.

Checked back on B6 app, and other shows are still playing in DV? Just not this or Sex Education, again? I wonder if it’s something to do with the fps that someone mentioned on another thread? Possibly as mine is a B6 it affects it playing in DV?

Another thing to consider is that our 2016 LG televisions are only capable of supporting Dolby Vision HDR at up-to 30fps. And some media streaming service providers are experimenting with HFR (high frame rate) Dolby Vision encoded content, which our TV's can't natively support

Another thing to consider is that our 2016 LG televisions are only capable of supporting Dolby Vision HDR at up-to 30fps. And some media streaming service providers are experimenting with HFR (high frame rate) Dolby Vision encoded content, which our TV's can't natively support

That’s what I thought? Seemed strange some played and others didn’t?

Unfortunately the wife won’t let me get a new one yet as ‘there’s nothing wrong with our one’ Grrrrr!! She’s a work in progress.........

The Stranger (netflix) plays in DV for me on my B6 but I use the APTV4k to play netflix.

I remember After Life (Gervais) playing in HDR10 instead of DV, but I think I was using the internal app then.

Not sure it should make any difference though be it apple tv box or internal app?

The Stranger (netflix) plays in DV for me on my B6 but I use the APTV4k to play netflix.

I remember After Life (Gervais) playing in HDR10 instead of DV, but I think I was using the internal app then.

Not sure it should make any difference though be it apple tv box or internal app?

That’s what I put above. DV plus fine through ATV. Just the built in app it doesn’t register now on some content.

As I thought, and @SeeMoreDigital said, it’s most likely to do with the fps that Netflix sometimes stream content at?

The issue I have with the ATV and Netflix is the lip sync is way out and a pain to correct every time. That’s why I generally stick to the inbuilt app unless it has Atmos audio.

Another thing to consider is that our 2016 LG televisions are only capable of supporting Dolby Vision HDR at up-to 30fps
The programmes that are causing problems are 25fps and all play perfectly in DV if the source is an ATV 4K.

There is clearly a bug in the television's Netflix app which causes it to try to play them at 50fps instead of 25; that, in turn, requires the TV to drop to HDR10. The problem is also somehow connected to the video file, in that one isolated episode of Black Mirror plays correctly while another fourteen don't.

But the fact that everything plays correctly on the same TV if you use an ATV4K means there is quite unambiguously a bug in the TV software, and that Netflix can't be bothered to fix it, despite my having raised it with them six months ago.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom