2015 Panasonic CX802 (TX-xxCX802B) owners thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you can tell if what you are watching is HDR as when playing these the TV switches backlight up to 100 so if Netflix is working this would happen. It certainly wasn't last night

Wish there was a button we could press that, no matter what the source, would tell us precisely what we are looking at.

Usually a button marked "i" (info) on most TV remotes.

I looked at my software it says 3,228 but I did the update yesterday and I gave HDMI HDR settings is this correct

I think you can tell if what you are watching is HDR as when playing these the TV switches backlight up to 100 so if Netflix is working this would happen. It certainly wasn't last night
Sounds like an easy way to check that it works. I'll keep an eye out for that. If is doesn't I'll just try and contact a different Netflix rep just to see if they know what they're talking about. It does seem weird that they'd get rid of the HDR tag...

Usually a button marked "i" (info) on most TV remotes.
Should the Netflix app show that it's HDR when you press that button on this TV? It already shows the resolution, might it also state "HDR" if it's working correctly?

When I tried those HDR demos on a USB stick, my backlight wasn't changed, neither was the picture mode - although the rec 2020 options did become available. Has that been the same experience for you guys? I haven't tried amazon or a 4k HDR player because I don't have either.

The images did look nice on those HDR demos, though to my eyes, not particularly special or different to regular 4k footage.

When I tried those HDR demos on a USB stick, my backlight wasn't changed, neither was the picture mode - although the rec 2020 options did become available. Has that been the same experience for you guys? I haven't tried amazon or a 4k HDR player because I don't have either.

The images did look nice on those HDR demos, though to my eyes, not particularly special or different to regular 4k footage.

I have Amazon and when I play HDR episodes my TV switches to 100% backlight. When viewing any other Amazon episodes it stays on my preset. Will try demos this afternoon.

Under system info my tv says software version 3228-10400-2113-02550-030002 is this correct in the network menu it says 3.228 and I have the HDR HDMI settings.

I imagine that's because the network (via an OTA update) has 3.228 as the latest available.

The 030002 update has been done via a usb update.

Seems the HDR update doesn't apply to us with the 40 inch tv. Tried to install the file even though our model number wasn't included in the list of models but all I got back was something to the effect that your firmware is up to date 3.228. I am really fed up as the Panasonic engineer at John Lewis Leicester (where I purchased the tv) confirmed that the tv would get the HDR update. I now intewnd to take the matter up with both John Lewis and Panasonic UK as I feel totally mislead by the engineer.

Couldn't agree with you more. I'm in much the same situation (albeit different retailer) and intend to do the same. My main gripe is that I specifically queried this with Panasonic customer services when I was still in the returns period and was told it would be updated. I'll let you know how I get on - would be grateful if you would do the same.

Just spoke to panasonic support and asked when the 2nd part of the update would be available on the uk website and they don't have a date yet?

Couldn't agree with you more. I'm in much the same situation (albeit different retailer) and intend to do the same. My main gripe is that I specifically queried this with Panasonic customer services when I was still in the returns period and was told it would be updated. I'll let you know how I get on - would be grateful if you would do the same.

I was told by Richer sounds when i got my 55 inch that only the 65inch would get HDMI2.0a and my 55 inch and lower models just streaming.
There was all kinds of weird contradictory information going around last year about the cx802.
Before i bought mine i was almost put off because the guy also said only one port could do standard 4k too!
The richersounds website also was saying "HDR streaming only" only specs for all the cx802 range too for ages earlier this year.

I would be very annoyed in your situation.

Mine is updated and HDR looks fine on amazon. I'm not sure whether I see any improvements though! My son was bowled over by the realism though, so it could be my tired eyes...

I was going to subscribe to Amazon for HDR but not sure if my speed will be quick enough.
I have Sky Fibre and get about 35Mb to the hub, and I also have sky Q and the speed on wifi on the TV is about 15 to 23Mb.

When I try and watch a 4K video on youtube I rarely get 4K come up in top right, normally HD but it does look like 4K quality. When I try youtube via firefox on the TV and manually set the quality to 4K I normally pause it for 20-30 secs and then watch it and its always ok, no stuttering.

Do you think I will be able to watch 4K HDR on Amazon?

I was going to subscribe to Amazon for HDR but not sure if my speed will be quick enough.
I have Sky Fibre and get about 35Mb to the hub, and I also have sky Q and the speed on wifi on the TV is about 15 to 23Mb.

When I try and watch a 4K video on youtube I rarely get 4K come up in top right, normally HD but it does look like 4K quality. When I try youtube via firefox on the TV and manually set the quality to 4K I normally pause it for 20-30 secs and then watch it and its always ok, no stuttering.

You should get 4K HDR over Cat6, wifi would be a bit hit and miss.
That's how I've wired mine to make sure I get smooth 4K streams.
I am on 68mb though.

Ok then, to summarise, post HDR update and enabling on HDR on hdmi's:
1) UHD blurays look fantastic according to others (I don't have a player).
2) Amazon Prime plays HDR content successfully.
3) UHD HDR files played from USB still look washed out?
4) Not seen it mentioned, but has anyone played UHD HDR files from the media browser?

I look forward to updating my tv when I finish work tonight!
I imagine that's because the network (via an OTA update) has 3.228 as the latest available.

The 030002 update has been done via a usb update.
Thanks for the reply that's put my mind at ease.

Sounds like an easy way to check that it works. I'll keep an eye out for that. If is doesn't I'll just try and contact a different Netflix rep just to see if they know what they're talking about. It does seem weird that they'd get rid of the HDR tag...

Should the Netflix app show that it's HDR when you press that button on this TV? It already shows the resolution, might it also state "HDR" if it's working correctly?
If this old article is anything to go by looks like Panasonic will have to update the app.

Panasonic issues update to enable HDR streaming from Netflix - FlatpanelsHD

I have about the same speeds as you. Had the same thing on wifi so wired tv as router right next to telly. 4k on Amazon, YouTube and Netflix no problem.

The TV is about 20 feet away (in a straight line) from the Hub but going through 2 walls (one brick) and a window. So its not impossible to do, and I do have a 10 metre cable somewhere, not sure if its CAT6 though.

just checked amazon where I bought the cable 6 years ago, and it says CAT5e but not sure if that's fast enough.

just checked amazon where I bought the cable 6 years ago, and it says CAT5e but not sure if that's fast enough.
That should be fine, Cat.5e is rated to gigabit speeds.

I'm using a cable I have had for years. Couldn't tell you whether it is 5 or 6. Probably about 3 judging by the age of it. Speed good enough for 4k so you would probably be OK. Can you test it?

Give Prime a try, there's a 30 day free trial.

The TV is about 20 feet away (in a straight line) from the Hub but going through 2 walls (one brick) and a window. So its not impossible to do, and I do have a 10 metre cable somewhere, not sure if its CAT6 though.

Have you not thought of trying Home Plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom