2015 LG v 2020 Panasonic/Hisense

roman700

Hello

I'd be grateful for your thoughts...

We have a 32" LCD TV from LG, Full HD, purchased in 2015. We have been happy with it generally in that time, detail/colours etc, remote, ease of use, Smart TV features - all good really.

We are now in a different house and feel 32" is a bit small. We've lived with it for a year without complaint really (I personally don't watch all that much TV but others in the family do). However, a thorough review of my TV/hifi set up does suggest it is a bit small and I am getting in to TV a bit more now.

Essentially we're a bit further away from the screen than we were in the old house, and the screen is a little on the small side.

Unfortunately, 43" TVs are a bit too big for the space, the TV will go in an alcove. 40" would be fine, but there aren't many of them around.

I found the Panasonic TX-40HX800 which I think has quite poor viewing angles according to some review. A good viewing angle would be important, most of the family will be well off-centre most of the time. Price is also a little high, but manageable maybe. I've rejected this model based on these factors...

I also found the Hisense 40a5600. This is much cheaper, and from a brand that I perceive to offer lower quality (despite some good reviews of higher spec models on this site).

I am not sure whether the benefit of this "big" screen would outweigh the good performance that our current old LG offers (albeit in a screen that is a bit on the small side). Is the Hisense a quality product?

Content at the moment is mostly Freeview HD, youtube videos, iPlayer, occasional Netflix/Prime video. DVD player hooked up to it, and a Nintendo Switch, neither of those are used all that often.

Thanks, interested in your views...

vickster

Distinguished Member
Is a 43 really too big? In what dimension? Width, height (I’d ignore the diagonal 43” when measuring).
Can you stick a bigger, better TV on a stand in front of the alcove?

roman700

I picked a 43" LG and it's a bit too wide. There may be slightly narrower 43" but side ports such as HDMI may make plugging in tricky.

Perhaps I'll remeasure as I want to make it work, but it could be impossible.

In front is difficult as there is a cupboard under the shelf the TV...

Thank you vickster.

vickster

Distinguished Member
This might give you some pointers of what to look at
The Panasonic's under TVs struggle to recommend

Dodgexander

I think all 40" TVs use VA type panels and won't have wide viewing angles. You'll want to fit a 43" if you can, although 43" like 32" are not high quality TVs nowadays, so you may just be better keeping with what you have unless you can go for a 49"/48" or 55".

roman700

I think all 40" TVs use VA type panels and won't have wide viewing angles. You'll want to fit a 43" if you can, although 43" like 32" are not high quality TVs nowadays, so you may just be better keeping with what you have unless you can go for a 49"/48" or 55".
Thank you!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom