2014 Samsung BD-H6500

theslydog

Standard Member
Anyone picked up a 2014 Samsung BD-H6500 player yet?

US page
Samsung Blu-ray Player BD-H6500 | Blu-ray & DVD Players

Manual
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...4103441453/02465S-BD-H6500-XY-ENG-0211_BM.pdf

Introducing Samsung Smart Blu-ray™ H6500, the next generation of player designed for the arrival of UHD resolution. Enjoy apps built for TV, stream your favorite content and upscale everything you watch.
  • Step Up Your Experience with Samsung Smart Blu-ray™
  • Upscale Every Disc to Near UHD Quality with UHD Upscaling
  • Get Recommendations, Explore Apps and Much More
  • Stream Your Favorite Music Throughout the House with SHAPE™ Multiroom
New looking home screen
Samsung BD-H6500: Performance and Verdict
B00ICDABYC-H6500_SmartHub_opt.jpg

I wonder if you can you multizone it like the F6500 and also change the county for the smart hub?

Kane D Williams

Just read that it will play high res FLAC files but converts them to 48Khz! Is this the same as other Samsung's? I was almost ready to buy one, but this was my primary reason for getting a new player, for 24/192 FLAC file playback.

nero0410

Distinguished Member
I picked up one of these the other day to replace my 15 year old Pioneer dvd player for the bedroom.... damn have things changed since I last bought a dvd player.

Haven't tried any multizone stuff for it, I've only just discovered that these things have apps, net connection etc....

I'm currently looking for a region hack for dvds and also a android app for it so I can use my phone or nexus as a remote, anyone know what these are called?

Love it so far, loads blu rays very fast compared to the early blu ray players and still learning about all the stuff it does though.

tris

nero0410

Distinguished Member

theslydog

Standard Member
The wife's gone to bed now, I'll give them a go in the morning :smashin:

Just looking for an app for the android/ipod touch to use as a remote for when I goto bed now. There seem to be apps for amps, sony stuff and samsung tvs, can't find one for a sammy blu ray now.

tris
Try the smart view 2 for 2014 devices. Should work for BD players as Smart view 1 does.
When you open the app you should see the device if it is on the same network.
Samsung Smart View 2.0 - Android Apps on Google Play

nero0410

Distinguished Member
Try the smart view 2 for 2014 devices. Should work for BD players as Smart view 1 does.
When you open the app you should see the device if it is on the same network.
Samsung Smart View 2.0 - Android Apps on Google Play

Cheers.

Forgot to post up I found an app already on my phone that turns it into a remote for loads of different barnds of TV, DVD/Bluray, Mediaplayers, Setop boxes etc....
Samsung WatchON™ (On TV) - Android Apps on Google Play

It's pretty simple to set up, got it set up for living room and bedroom quite easily :smashin:

tris

peter312

We've just picked up one of these and are very pleased with it. The only thing that seems to be missing that was on the BD-F6500 is the BBC iPlayer. Has anyone else got the iPlayer missing?

Many thanks

Sinialtstar

We've just picked up one of these and are very pleased with it. The only thing that seems to be missing that was on the BD-F6500 is the BBC iPlayer. Has anyone else got the iPlayer missing?

Many thanks

Mine has I-player missing - I have been through the "app store" the only apps I can find (apart from ITV 4OD etc and the usual ones that I am never going to use) are BBC News, and Sport.

Did you manage to get it on yours?

peter312

I'm afraid not: My experience was the same as yours.

Stonedofmoo

Hi guys

Very interested in grabbing one of these, but can it play HD audio streams from MKV files?
I have an older Samsung BR player and it cannot which is irritating considering it can from the actual BR of the same films.

Also have they finally gained the ability to read directly from Windows shares (CIF/SMB) or is a DLNA server still a requirement.

Hopefully someone can let me know :)

Cheers

SElwell

Many thanks
Just pick up one of these today, updated firmware to latest (1101) and no sign of iPlayer. Also having trouble connecting to my Samsung account (can't sign in as server not available). Not sure whether that has any relevance.

Sinialtstar

Hi
I emailed Samsung, and they said

"In regards to your recent email, please be advised that the BBC iPlayer app is not yet available on our H-series blu-ray players and TVs, as we are currently waiting on the BBC to release their app for these new products.

Please be assured that the BBC iPlayer will be come available on your device very soon, although we not have an exact date as of yet. When this app is released, it will be automatically released on your blu-ray player via a software update. "

So lets hope its soon!

peter312

Thank you Redviper

SElwell

Thanks for that update.
Strange thing, all the reviews that I've read, quote something similar to;
"which once again features the UK’s four main catch-up TV services: BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD and Demand 5. As far as we’re aware Samsung is still the only company to offer all four of these services."

Just down to poor reviewers who haven't noticed it missing?

Plugwash

Novice Member
Hi guys

Very interested in grabbing one of these, but can it play HD audio streams from MKV files?
I have an older Samsung BR player and it cannot which is irritating considering it can from the actual BR of the same films.

Also have they finally gained the ability to read directly from Windows shares (CIF/SMB) or is a DLNA server still a requirement.

Hopefully someone can let me know :)

Cheers

Plugwash

Novice Member
Hi Everyone
MKV files do not stream on my setup using the H6500 however if you copy the mkv to a memory stick and play the movie from the USB socket then HOOray it works so ok its a bit of extra work but then a result at least --- Also mkv movies play off dvd r ---
My wife has a load of region 1 dvd and this player is region 2 and only plays region 2 DVD == Please post any ideas for region changing these players (I read they are the most difficult to crack so Im not holding out much hope) Picked up and old supermarket dvd player at boot sale for no money so she can have that one to play her DVDs its pretty ugly (the player that is) but for now will do the job...Thanks for reading my comments -- have a nice day........

theslydog

Standard Member
Hi Everyone
MKV files do not stream on my setup using the H6500 however if you copy the mkv to a memory stick and play the movie from the USB socket then HOOray it works

Interesting. 1080p MKV HD play fine on the F6500 when streaming from a NAS. I have not tried a H6500 yet but can not see why they would have a problem.

Plugwash

Novice Member
Hi I think the magic word may be NAS as it could be processing the mkv file before streaming?? When I said streaming it was from hard disk on my windows 8 pc on the network using the media player in the H6500 also I find audio FLAC don't stream from PC - They do run from a usb or cd/dvd ....

Plugwash

Novice Member
Interesting. 1080p MKV HD play fine on the F6500 when streaming from a NAS. I have not tried a H6500 yet but can not see why they would have a problem.
Hi
is it possible to give us an idea about your nas and if it streams mkv and flac that will play with the h6500 as at the moment i have to copy my vids and sounds to a usb from my win8 pc and then play them in the h6500 - a total bore - everything else streams and plays direct from the win8 pc avi wav etc -- If I am to solve this problem I can see I may have to get a NAS but before that would love someone to say that it would solve my problem and recomend a NAS that would work - I guess most would and dnla would suit also... - any comments welcome --- cheers.....

theslydog

Standard Member
Hi
is it possible to give us an idea about your nas and if it streams mkv and flac that will play with the h6500 as at the moment i have to copy my vids and sounds to a usb from my win8 pc and then play them in the h6500 - a total bore - everything else streams and plays direct from the win8 pc avi wav etc -- If I am to solve this problem I can see I may have to get a NAS but before that would love someone to say that it would solve my problem and recomend a NAS that would work - I guess most would and dnla would suit also... - any comments welcome --- cheers.....

I just run an el cheapo Buffalo NAS. I got it bare and added my own HDDs. Had it a few yrs now with no probs at all. I can stream mulitple 1080p streams with no issues. The read speed 72 MB/s is pretty good for the price.
Buffalo - Products - Performance Matters

It streams everything I can throw at it. It runs DLNA Twonky media server.
  • Supported formats:
    ◦Music: MP3, WMA, WAV, 3GP, M4A, MP4, LPCM, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, MP2, AC3, MPA, MP1, AIF, MID, ISMA
    ◦Photo: JPEG, PNG, TIF, BMP
    ◦Video: MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG2-TS, MPEG4, AVI, WMV, VOB, DivX, 3GP, VDR, ASF, MPE, DVR-MS, Xvid, M1V, M4V, WEBM, QT, F4V, ISMV, MKV, MOV
The Samy uses the DLNA media server but my HTPC with XBMC uses windows shares on the NAS. This makes everything work very nicely.
Samy_bd_player_dlna_800.jpg

Last edited:

Plugwash

Novice Member
Hello Folks - thanks for the information all most interesting and helpful - My own setup is not too special and to start with I just wanted to be able to view files that are on my windows 8 PC on my big tv - The H6500 is a great hub for all sorts of input and I am very pleased with it. I did find that I could run most movies and music with no bother and happy enough for me - Then I couldn't play FLAC music and MKV video - The windows PC as a streaming server was not good enough.. Problem Solved = Have installed serviio media server software on my windows PC (the basic version is free)(Twonky would be a similar and possibly better alternative) Now I can see serviio as a network server on my H6500 and all my media folders and files and Best of all my FLAC and MKV run just fine. I am happy with that it suits me sirs. Thank you theslydog for the lead to my problem which is now solved good for me... Have a nice day you all.......

Webbserver

I have the predecessor BD-F6500 and have to say it's blown me away and is my choice for playback of BD, DVD, Netflix and Lovefilm and streaming of home video and photos from my NAS. I find it's much quieter than my PS3 slim and my long gone Oppo BDP-83 and just as good in terms of performance.
The only area of weakness is the inability to playback either Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD MA codecs via USB or network streaming.
I've just read a review that suggests the BD-H6500 supports DTS HD MA via Network (and I assume USB HDD) but still not Dolby TrueHD!
Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:

Plugwash

Novice Member
Hi Steve and Co
re my h6500 - I am well happy with my bluray/internet hub and multimedia unit - In fact I hardly play blurays at all but use as the link between my PC running serviio and my smart TV - Now DTS tracks work wonderful, Dolby D seems fine DTShdma play (but). I am no expert and so don't shoot the messenger as with my setup it would be that if it works on the PC then it works on the H6500 to my TV. The PC and serviio remix or whatever it does for networking and then the H6500 and then the TV get the picture and sound. It would also be important to understand that my dts amp decodes the dts ma/ dolby sound for the speakers and so it may be that for true dts the amp must be doing its job. Now finally the truehd question. I did have a problem last year pre-h6500 with truehd not working and so I converted my true hd sound tracks to dts. So that I may test truehd with my current setup i am getting a truehd movie later and will test and can report if anybody interested. In the meantime I say, if it works and you like the sound and picture then enjoy the moment. All best wishes and have nice days............

lloydread

Just ordered one of these as I love the Samsung Smart TV system with connectivity to NAS devices and VOD services... I was trying to get a new Samsung TV but I just can't get one without problems (after 3 attempts), now settled on this to give me the Smart TV functionality, oh and have faster load times compared to my fat old and noisy PS3.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware