2013 AirPort Extreme NAS iTunes for small SSD

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by mkelbie, Aug 4, 2013.

1. mkelbie

mkelbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Hopefully my title gives some idea of what I am looking to do but I will explain it as best as I can, basically my MBPr only has a 256GB SSD which is more than enough for OS/Apps but for media it will not be enough and I will end up using all my space for my music.

Most of my music is in ALAC format so its quite a large library and I wouldn't need it all to be stored on my MacBook but when I am home or even away what would be the best way to have access to my media or sync up playlists to the SSD to take with me should I not have internet access when travelling/working.

I have a Windows HTPC which I am eventually going to run as a server to host my content so I could utilise that if possible but I have also just purchased the new airport extreme which has a 2TB drive internally and a USB 2.0 port should I need to purchase an external.

I am sure other people have a large media library too and I wasn't paying over the odds to increase the SSD storage so what would be the best way to work with the limited storage on my SSD? I think my airport extreme has a function to allow access when I am away but it may be better I purchase a NAS or make use of the HTPC?

I just want to keep it as simple as possible managing my iTunes library across a network or multiple devices.

I only purchased the airport extreme today so if I have chosen the wrong device and I would be better with something else I can always return it because im sure they allow 14days.

I do need a new router though, my virginmedia hub is really poor and because its not a dual band router I have to run it on 2.4ghz because of some older devices.

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,127
    iTunes does not work that way,
    1) iTunes does not stream media over the internet, that is what iCloud syncing is for.
    2) iTunes Homesharing requires iTunes running on a PC/Mac.
    3) An Airport Extreme is useless as standalone iTunes server, it can only act as a storage location for 2.

A much better option for an iTunes media server is buy a Mac Mini (even a second hand old model), use that as your iTunes Homesharing server with attached USB drive, along with Supersync which allows you to do all sorts of things with iTunes including remote access and management with syncing content from one iTunes instance to another.

You could use the windows HTPC with iTunes and Supersync too though iTunes on Windows is not the most reliable of things.

3. mkelbie

mkelbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Thanks for your response. I don't really want to buy another machine unless I have to so I will look at SuperSync on my HTPC. That has some drives suitable for 24/7 use. I assume the OS SSD and other Data drives will be fine if all the activity is on the WD red drive?

I think I will return the AirportExtreme.

I had iTunes match when it was 1st released and it was fine for iPad/iPhone but if I am using my Macbook and headphones I would prefer highest quality audio as possible.

Thanks for your advice.

4. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,127
    The type of HDD wouldn't make a jot of difference for what your doing.

5. mkelbie

mkelbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I just worry about leaving my HTPC on 24/7 especially if I am going to be using timemachine, itunes server plus network storage.

Definitely don't need the AirPort Extreme though so that's freed up the funds from that.

So if I have my main itunes library on my HTPC accessible on my network is that supersync the best way to say sync 10gb of music to take with me on the road

Thanks

6. mkelbie

mkelbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Don't know if I am over complicating things here and going about things the wrong way but basically I have too much music to store on my MBPr so whats best way to manage it.

Sorry if I am confusing or completely wrong in my thinking.

Thanks

7. mkelbie

mkelbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    What would be better, easier and cheaper.

Upgrade my HTPC and have it running as some sort of file server or should I just buy something like a QNAS 2/4 bay and tang will do my media , time machine and itunes library?

Thanks

8. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,127
    Dedicated NAS are linux based so are no use as you need OSX (preferably) or at least Windows to run iTunes and Supersync.

You could go down the dedicated NAS path in which case I would recommend Synology as they have the best iOS apps for music and remote access however you would only have access to the media library as the Synology sees it not as iTunes sees it if you follow me. The Synology app builds it's own media library of the files you store on it.

PC/Mac running 24/7 isnt much of a problem though a Mac here would be better, less reboots as Windows forces automatic updates on a regular basis, you can set it to auto login and with some work auto-run apps like iTunes & Supersync.