2012 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
Let brian in, he wants to watch 2012 with you man.
qwxY7CCGSswW.gif

ssbib

Distinguished Member
Just finished watching this. It was nothing special. An improvement over the Blu Ray to be sure but nothing demo worthy.

GT One

In my opinion Roland Emmerich's most recent movies are just animated comic books and 2012 is a classic example, though I'm sure many disaster movie fans still use this 2012 film as reference for other disaster movies to match.

For me Roland's films are always visual overkill with far too much noise and on screen chaos to actually concentrate on the story itself, but perhaps that's the point there isn't usually much of a story anyway, especially in his later movie productions, just an excuse to fill the screen with visual effects from every corner.

Having said that I get the feeling that Roland makes these movies mainly because of the money, the creative aspects are secondary, but as a creative director Roland has shown he is capable of settling down and make films that are a little more sedate, like Stargate, which is my personal favourite, it's a good example of how an original and trend setting film can begin a long lasting franchise of its own, but after Independence Day and its unashamed American jingoism the US movie studios wanted this equally successful frenetic blockbuster movie genre to become Emmerich's trademark.

Even though released in 2009 the 2012 title probably should have been 2022 which would have people interested now, but doing that is risky as those who can date films by the cell phones (or lack of) being used will know.
My rating for 2012 is 7 out of 10.

Garrett

Even though released in 2009 the 2012 title probably should have been 2022 which would have people interested now, but doing that is risky as those who can date films by the cell phones (or lack of) being used will know.
My rating for 2012 is 7 out of 10.
On the other hand I was expecting a Moonbase Alpha being up and running 22 years ago :rolleyes: :laugh:

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
On the other hand I was expecting a Moonbase Alpha being up and running 22 years ago :rolleyes: :laugh:
Come to think of it... I'd definitely rather watch the escapades of Moonbase Alpha than watch this film again...

Andy3105

The ending is what got me,
literally almost everyone the people on those boats know is dead, the world is gone and yet, they all sail off happily like an advert for a cruise line, literally they sail off into the sunset.
...:facepalm:

Last edited by a moderator:

Nayfne

Distinguished Member
The ending is what got me,
literally almost everyone the people on those boats know is dead, the world is gone and yet, they all sail off happily like an advert for a cruise line, literally they sail off into the sunset
....:facepalm:
Thanks, daughter is crying now she knows the ending. :rotfl:

Last edited by a moderator:

dagraham

Is it just me who gets annoyed that complete trash like this gets a UHD release while countless great films haven’t and quite possibly won’t ever get one?

GT One

The next moon mission may not be as far away as people may think if NASA's new rockets are ready.
Artemis II the first crewed flight test of the Space Launch System Orion is targeted for 2022 with a manned moon mission in 2024.
Space enthusiasts have much to look forward to with the testing of NASA's SLS Block 1 rocket which could eventually become bigger than the fantastic Apollo Saturn V with a 111m high SLS Block 2 cargo version coming later.

Daniel M13

Vastly contrasting views regarding the picture quality compared to the Spare Change review I watched last night on YouTube. I hope this one proves more accurate. I’ll get it watched soon And decide for myself.

Ive lost a lot of trust in spare change if im honest. Hes reviewed 3 titles now that i own and think are excellent but hes slated them which i guess is taste but we both cant be that far wrong?! i tend to trust films at home and movie guy 365 a bit more now.

ssbib

Distinguished Member
Ive lost a lot of trust in spare change if im honest. Hes reviewed 3 titles now that i own and think are excellent but hes slated them which i guess is taste but we both cant be that far wrong?! i tend to trust films at home and movie guy 365 a bit more now.
I watched this myself the other night and I agree with his review on this one to Be honest, which is a shame as I was really looking forward to this one.

Daniel M13

I watched this myself the other night and I agree with his review on this one to Be honest, which is a shame as I was really looking forward to this one.

mines coming tomorrow so will see what i think. Don't get me wrong im not saying he isnt right but hes def been wrong imo on a few now, Again all subjective i guess.

ssbib

Distinguished Member
mines coming tomorrow so will see what i think. Don't get me wrong im not saying he isnt right but hes def been wrong imo on a few now, Again all subjective i guess.
Definitely. I’ve watched some films that seem to be universally acclaimed that I don’t think look good and vice versa.

Andy3105

Is it just me who gets annoyed that complete trash like this gets a UHD release while countless great films haven’t and quite possibly won’t ever get one?

Nope, why we can't get a 4K release of Tombstone baffles and enrages me....

Andy3105

I have no time whatsoever for Sparechange, Films at Home and most certainly not Elliott Coen who by his own admission uses Capsaholic as his 'go to reference' for picture quality....🤦‍♂️

I'll go with Bill Hunt over at The Digital Bits and Ralph Potts at AVSForums over any of these so called Internet experts any day....

Andy3105

Thanks, daughter is crying now she knows the ending. :rotfl:

Sorry I didn't think it'd be a spoiler having been released for so long but maybe I've done her a favour, that would've been 2 hours of her life she'd never get back....

Andy3105

now were talking! Tombstone is a release I'm waiting for , we really need this...

It's a joke that the mediocre Blu-ray is all we have after we got the Vista Series set on DVD....

Daniel M13

I have no time whatsoever for Sparechange, Films at Home and most certainly not Elliott Coen who by his own admission uses Capsaholic as his 'go to reference' for picture quality....🤦‍♂️

I'll go with Bill Hunt over at The Digital Bits and Ralph Potts at AVSForums over any of these so called Internet experts any day....

Out of intertest whats your issue with Jeff from films at home?

Andy3105

Out of intertest whats your issue with Jeff from films at home?

I just don't agree with some of his opinions, it's nothing personal but I just trust guys like Bill and Ralph who have a wealth of knowledge, neither have ever steered me wrong....

Daniel M13

It's a joke that the mediocre Blu-ray is all we have after we got the Vista Series set on DVD....

Its a shame the amount of hoops companies have to go through to try remaster these, i bet there's a lot of 3rd party places that could do a nice print of some classics

Daniel M13

I just don't agree with some of his opinions, it's nothing personal but I just trust guys like Bill and Ralph who have a wealth of knowledge, neither have ever steered me wrong....

Thats fair enough, ive not seen the two your advise so ill have a look. I dont mind jeff, hes not done me wrong yet.

THX1138UK

Ralph Potts reviews all the Blu-rays in his own dedicated home cinema (using a projector), so I trust his reviews too.

He was featured on Home Theater Geeks and interviewed by Scott Wilkinson (who used to be the editor of AVSForum is the US - not connected with AVForums here in the UK):

Home Theater Geeks 273: Reviewing Blu-rays - YouTube

Picture and sound quality isn't just a numbers game...

Regards,
James.

Daniel M13

Ralph Potts reviews all the Blu-rays in his own dedicated home cinema (using a projector), so I trust his reviews too.

He was featured on Home Theater Geeks and interviewed by Scott Wilkinson (who used to be the editor of AVSForum is the US - not connected with AVForums here in the UK):

Home Theater Geeks 273: Reviewing Blu-rays - YouTube

Picture and sound quality isn't just a numbers game...

Regards,
James.

Thank you for the link and the info James, i watch YT reviews a lot so ill give this channel a look and see what he has to offer.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung teases 76-inch MicroLED TV plus flagship Q950A soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Amazon Music fully available on Android TV and Google TV platforms
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony announces A90J UK/EU price and March availability
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th February 2021