2012 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Coulson

Distinguished Member
Your review subconsciously infers that the audio isn't the only thing that should have been in 3D ;)

Evinger

Distinguished Member
Thanks Cas. Straight onto my Disc rental list (Out here in Germany 11th Feb.)
Personally I Love Independance Day, Godzilla & The Day After Tomorrow. This didn't wow me as much on first viewing, but 4K Dolby Atmos makes for a good weekend Movie.
P.S. The Day After Tomorrow never got a 4K release? is that right?

Wedlock

Thanks Cas. Straight onto my Disc rental list (Out here in Germany 11th Feb.)
Personally I Love Independance Day, Godzilla & The Day After Tomorrow. This didn't wow me as much on first viewing, but 4K Dolby Atmos makes for a good weekend Movie.
P.S. The Day After Tomorrow never got a 4K release? is that right?

The Day After Tomorrow never got a 4K release, it’s owned by Disney now so fat chance we get a disc release.

great review Cas !
I have already bought the US disc so can’t wait to give this a spin for a couple of hours of mindless fun :)

encaser

I recall liking Cusack but finding most of the et al. wasted in this and laughing along to the effects but also thinking, yup, we could be so screwed and look where we are. But then it was and always is one disaster or another - assuming the current serial killer hasn't gotten old and started thinking twice.
Not a bad film but nothing to raise your skirt over.

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
I recall liking Cusack but finding most of the et al. wasted in this and laughing along to the effects but also thinking, yup, we could be so screwed and look where we are. But then it was and always is one disaster or another - assuming the current serial killer hasn't gotten old and started thinking twice.
Not a bad film but nothing to raise your skirt over.
Not a bad film?

Its definitely not a good film. I'm surprised at Cas giving it 7!

Roohster

Distinguished Member
I'll be buying this, I love a good current affairs documentary. ;)

ssbib

Distinguished Member
Vastly contrasting views regarding the picture quality compared to the Spare Change review I watched last night on YouTube. I hope this one proves more accurate. I’ll get it watched soon And decide for myself.

encaser

Not a bad film?

Its definitely not a good film. I'm surprised at Cas giving it 7!
For what is and its intentions, it works well enough. Cusack carries it OK and adds viewer investment in his character. The fact it's so heavy in effects though, undermines things but I'd rather come away raising an eyebrow or laughing than bored in over earnestness or sentiment.

museumsteve

Distinguished Member
Vastly contrasting views regarding the picture quality compared to the Spare Change review I watched last night on YouTube. I hope this one proves more accurate. I’ll get it watched soon And decide for myself.
I watched the Spare Change review and agree with it, picture is pretty awful for a 4K disc. Some of the end scenes in the ships looked like they suffered from soap opera effect/frame rate smoothing. I had to check that my TV hadn't activated some kind of motion settings by itself. Very disappointing for me.

ssbib

Distinguished Member
I watched the Spare Change review and agree with it, picture is pretty awful for a 4K disc. Some of the end scenes in the ships looked like they suffered from soap opera effect/frame rate smoothing. I had to check that my TV hadn't activated some kind of motion settings by itself. Very disappointing for me.
Well that’s a shame.

xynobis

Standard Member
On disaster movies. The UHD 4k disc of "San Andreas" is excellent and cheap. the film is better than "2012" as well. It continually crossed the line in escapes and overall believability. As much as theses movies can be believable. "day after tomorrow" is better as well.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer

So the whole presentation was very disappointing or just those few moments?

It's 160 minutes of movie.

The green screen stuff in the cars and on the mountain didn't look great to me, but that's partly less the transfer and more the source material (c.f. BTTF).

The shots in the ship probably lasted a few minutes in total, and was intercut with the rest of the ongoing footage. It's also very specifically related to just the "handheld" shots of the bits flooding (NOT the rest of the ship footage, both inside and out), which must have been captured in a different way.

I related it also to the strobes (it's all mentioned in the review), and it does give a strange effect which, as noted, makes you wonder if the TV is behaving oddly (I thought it was more HFR than SOE, but definitely odd either way).

But does that really ruin the other 2.5 hours?

I think perhaps the 9/10 rating makes it easier to assume perfection but, again, it's 160 minutes. So 9-10 for 90% of the movie, and a 6 for some odd scenes which barely comprise a part of the remaining few percent...

museumsteve

Distinguished Member
So the whole presentation was very disappointing or just those few moments?

It's 160 minutes of movie.

The green screen stuff in the cars and on the mountain didn't look great to me, but that's partly less the transfer and more the source material (c.f. BTTF).

The shots in the ship probably lasted a few minutes in total, and was intercut with the rest of the ongoing footage. It's also very specifically related to just the "handheld" shots of the bits flooding (NOT the rest of the ship footage, both inside and out), which must have been captured in a different way.

I related it also to the strobes (it's all mentioned in the review), and it does give a strange effect which, as noted, makes you wonder if the TV is behaving oddly (I thought it was more HFR than SOE, but definitely odd either way).

But does that really ruin the other 2.5 hours?

I think perhaps the 9/10 rating makes it easier to assume perfection but, again, it's 160 minutes. So 9-10 for 90% of the movie, and a 6 for some odd scenes which barely comprise a part of the remaining few percent...
If it weren't for the pretty stonking Atmos track I would have sold it straight away and probably stuck with the blu-ray. This may look better overall but I just don't remember the BD being so inconsistent.
I just had higher hopes for a 4K uptick.
I'll keep it and I'll watch it again because it's a great popcorn movie but I was just hoping for more :)

Dr Force

Distinguished Member
Great review Cas

I love this film for what it is...leave the brain at the door entering the cinema room....enjoy the sounds, visuals, camp moments, cringe moments......and you can keep going...but for a n9ghts entertainment it’s just good fun (IMO)

Next to Spartacus it’s a 6.......for an evening chewing popcorn it’s a 9

Wedlock

Nothing against Shane (Spare Change) but it is just his opinion.
He states that the movie was shot digitally in HD but that was only small parts of the movie since the rest was filmed on Super 35 film and that always makes the picture look softer.
The digital version (which i own and is 4K Dolby Vision and Atmos) looked good to me on my OLED screen so i doubt i will find the disc terrible :)

AVFAndy

Having been burnt from 3 high profile catalog releases last year, I'm not pre-ordering catalog titles anymore - unless from Arrow.
Looks like i dodged a bullet with this one - i'll stick with the blu-ray (for now).
At least it looks more source related than bad encoding.

THX1138UK

7 for the movie. Wow - I thought it was an absolute stinker. Terrible special effects and that utterly ridiculous aeroplane escape sequence - after that I couldn't careless about any of the characters. Awful.

They say movies have to have their own sense of reality - it doesn't have to be a 'real', but it has to be a reality that the characters in the move believe in, otherwise the audience can't engage with it.

'San Andreas' and 'Volcano' work, where this does not. But nothing beats 'The Towering Inferno' and 'The Poseidon Adventure'.

Not going to be a 4K disc purchase for me.

Regards,
James.

xynobis

Standard Member
7 for the movie. Wow - I thought it was an absolute stinker. Terrible special effects and that utterly ridiculous aeroplane escape sequence - after that I couldn't careless about any of the characters. Awful.

They say movies have to have their own sense of reality - it doesn't have to be a 'real', but it has to be a reality that the characters in the move believe in, otherwise the audience can't engage with it.

'San Andreas' and 'Volcano' work, where this does not. But nothing beats 'The Towering Inferno' and 'The Poseidon Adventure'.

Not going to be a 4K disc purchase for me.

Regards,
James.
totally agree w this post. 2012 went way over the top w everything while good disaster movies know when to tone it done. terrible movie. im all for "leaving my Brian at the door" but when there is way better alternatives its just super annoying..

terencejames

totally agree w this post. 2012 went way over the top w everything while good disaster movies know when to tone it done. terrible movie. im all for "leaving my Brian at the door" but when there is way better alternatives its just super annoying..
What have you got against Brian?

Nayfne

Distinguished Member
Cheers Cas...I don't care what anyone else thinks, im buying this, 4k/Atmos, sold!! ( i do have a £10 off voucher mind, just to ease the pain when I watch it.) :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Tidal streaming service acquired by Twitter/Square's Jack Dorsey
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix adds support for reduced theatrical release window
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Paradigm launches Founder speaker series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 3rd March 2021