Alastair Cook (cricket)
Luke Donald (golf)
Mo Farah (athletics)
Dai Greene (athletics)
Amir Khan (boxing)
Rory McIlroy (golf)
Andy Murray (tennis)
Andrew Strauss (cricket).

I'd like to see Darren Clarke win it. The England cricket team have to be a shoe in for the team award.

Who's your pick?

Not sure really, a lot of golfers on it this year.

No suprise about the lack of football and rugby players though.

Really suprised Jenson Button never made the shortlist this year as he had an excellent season.

I think an irish golfer will win it though:smashin:

Disappointed world champion chaz Davies isn't there.
Or mega highly rated bradley smith.
But plenty of golferzzzzzzzzzzzz......?

Rory all the way for me. Is it just me, or is the list getting weaker each year?

Is it just me, or is the list getting weaker each year?

i think it's just you. There's 2 golf major winners, the golf world no1, a Brit who's beaten Kenyans at their own game, a record breaking cyclist who threatens some of the all time achievements in the TDF, amongst others.

i think it's just you. There's 2 golf major winners, the golf world no1, a Brit who's beaten Kenyans at their own game, a record breaking cyclist who threatens some of the all time achievements in the TDF, amongst others.

Not forgetting 2 cricketers who's team are number 1 in the world and a Scottish tennis player who keeps getting beat when it really matters. ;)

For me it has to be Cavendish. First British winner of the TdF green jersey for a good many years (not to mention 5 stage wins) and becoming the world champion.

Pretty much the clean sweep for a sprinter.

Mark Cavendish (cycling)
Darren Clarke (golf)
Alastair Cook (cricket)
Luke Donald (golf)
Mo Farah (athletics)
Dai Greene (athletics)
Amir Khan (boxing)
Rory McIlroy (golf)
Andy Murray (tennis)
Andrew Strauss (cricket).

pretty poor list IMO

only really between two people, Donald & McIlroy, with Donald pipping it

Clarke, Cook, Khan, Murray and Strauss shouldnt even be near this list, complete joke IMO

IMO, highly unlikely Donald will win it. Granted he's no1 in the world, but the majority of casual sports fans wouldn't be able to pick him out of a line up. Rory is much more a household face due to his triumph and failure during this past year, but most significantly, there is BBC footage of his winning moment. Less so of Donald gradually accumulating wins and cash to take his no1 spot.

I think Mo Farah will win. Build up to the Olympics. BBC covered sport. He's a beacon of new Britain and I think the BBC will get fully behind him to encourage people to vote for him

Out of those 2, I think McIlroy has had the better year....Donald has consistantly played well to get to No.1, but McIlroy is currently No.2 and won a major at only 21.

Lee Westwood and Martin Kaymer have also been No1 this year so it's not as if Donald has dominated.

Last edited:
IMO, highly unlikely Donald will win it. Granted he's no1 in the world, but the majority of casual sports fans wouldn't be able to pick him out of a line up. Rory is much more a household face due to his triumph and failure during this past year, but most significantly, there is BBC footage of his winning moment. Less so of Donald gradually accumulating wins and cash to take his no1 spot.

I think Mo Farah will win. Build up to the Olympics. BBC covered sport. He's a beacon of new Britain and I think the BBC will get fully behind him to encourage people to vote for him

i agree with most of that, which is why i think this award has gotten more and more of a joke

Out of those 2, I think McIlroy has had the better year....Donald has consistantly played well to get to No.1, but McIlroy is currently No.2 and won a major at only 21.

Lee Westwood and Martin Kaymer have also been No1 this year so it's not as if Donald has dominated.

hes only had a better year cause he won a major, donald has been the most consistant golfer this year by far, topping both money lists is some achievement. (btw im a bigger fan of mcilroys than donalds)

but it is more or less a popularity contest so achievements dont really count or some others wouldnt be on the list.

Not a very inspiring list unless your a golf fanatic. No women either. Perhaps we're missing English dwarf throwers and special ferry divers?

hes only had a better year cause he won a major, donald has been the most consistant golfer this year by far, topping both money lists is some achievement. (btw im a bigger fan of mcilroys than donalds)

but it is more or less a popularity contest so achievements dont really count or some others wouldnt be on the list.

Ask Colin Montgomery if he'd give up his 6 Order of merits for 1 Major and I bet he'd take the major win every time (if he was being honest). I'm sure Donald would say the same. Consistency in golf is a great achievement, but they all want a major.

As I said above, I'd like Clarke to win because his Major win was totally unexpected given his age and what he's been through, and for me he's a much better personality than the other 2 golfers on the short-list.

I'm not a cricket fan by any means, but I don't think you can rubbish the achievements of either Strauss or Cook this year.

Davidegee makes a good point about the Athlete's in Olympic year, but I'm not convinced the voting public have really got into the whole Olympic thing yet. If they win gold next summer, an athlete will definitely win it next year.

Ask Colin Montgomery if he'd give up his 6 Order of merits for 1 Major and I bet he'd take the major win every time (if he was being honest). I'm sure Donald would say the same. Consistency in golf is a great achievement, but they all want a major.

yeah, i agree with that

As I said above, I'd like Clarke to win because his Major win was totally unexpected given his age and what he's been through, and for me he's a much better personality than the other 2 golfers on the short-list.

its a joke hes even on the list

I'm not a cricket fan by any means, but I don't think you can rubbish the achievements of either Strauss or Cook this year.

they played well against probably the worst aussie team ever

Davidegee makes a good point about the Athlete's in Olympic year, but I'm not convinced the voting public have really got into the whole Olympic thing yet. If they win gold next summer, an athlete will definitely win it next year.

i agree with that

yeah, i agree with that :thumbsup:

its a joke hes even on the list Why? He won the British Open, the jewel in the crown for any golfer, and covered by the BBC. He's one of the most popular players amongst his peers, and for both golf fans, and casual fans of the game. I am biased though as he's always been my favourite player, but to say it's a joke is a bit OTT.

they played well against probably the worst aussie team ever They beat more than just the Aussies this year (can't believe I'm defending cricketers!)Come on IanJ...help me out with this one :D

i agree with that :thumbsup:
:)

Who do you think is missing from the list?

Apart from cricket and golf, both of which are well represented, British sports has not really shone. Button and Hamilton have had flew the flag and Paul Di Resta has had a brilliant rookie season, but nothing outstanding, so out goes motorsport.

I'm not a football fan, so have absolutely no idea what has gone on with the big Jessies. I am a little suprised that no one from the rugby world has had a mention. Yes England are the Six Nations champions but left the RWC under something of a cloud. However, Wales, especially Sam Warburton came of age both as a player and captain. He is being compared to great number sevens being mentioned in the same breath as Richie McCaw.

So I would have put Warburton on the list. It would have been nice to see two Welshmen on the list, although Dai Green won't win even if all of Wales vote for him.

gibbsy said:
Apart from cricket and golf, both of which are well represented, British sports has not really shone. Button and Hamilton have had flew the flag and Paul Di Resta has had a brilliant rookie season, but nothing outstanding, so out goes motorsport.

Nothing outstanding!?
We had a 24 year old world champion in the super sport 600 class, in the world Superbike championship.

Nothing outstanding!?
We had a 24 year old world champion in the super sport 600 class, in the world Superbike championship.

Ah I didn't know that. I like a game played by men with odd shapped balls.
I know you said you've raced. Ever been to Aberdare Park in July?

I was in Aberdare last week...Penderyn to be exact :thumbsup:

I'm just seven miles away. Lovely road from Penderyn to Brecon. Great for a quick drive if you can dodge the sheep and Jeremy Clarkson.

I'm just seven miles away. Lovely road from Penderyn to Brecon. Great for a quick drive if you can dodge the sheep and Jeremy Clarkson.

I think I was on that road. When I met with my customer (WD Lewis) in Penderyn he told me that Top Gear are often on the road I came across on. It zig zagged over the hills.
There are a few good roads in that area...there's another that leads from Penderyn down to a lake as well...maybe that's the one you mean.

On pure sporting achievement, Mark Cavendish is unsurpassed and also undeservedly under the radar. If not him then Darren Clarke for me :smashin:

Not sure about Murray. Can understand he has had another consistently good year, indeed there is more than a GS points win difference between 4th and 5th in the standings, but come on these professionals need to be more adventurous...

... and less sexist

:devil:'s Advocate

gibbsy said:
I know you said you've raced. Ever been to Aberdare Park in July?

We were always told there was no racing in Wales, as their 6 fingers couldn't work the levers.
;-)

Btw, the 24 year old world champion is welsh!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom