2011 Films Montage

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Here is a very good video montage showcasing some of the films in 2011, created by YouTube user*Kidnin, taking around 2 months to edit. Feel free to list your own favourites from 2011.

excellent just wish i knew what half them were thou :D

Slick vid, could have been a bit more focus on the good films though.

I think my favourite this year so far is Hanna.

I've still got a few to watch though.

Thanks for the Montage and this thread, raigraphixs. Gives me an opportunity to reflect and vent my thoughts on the year. I saw 37 films at the cinema this year so far and have 4 more films lined up this week :) Most were preview screenings but as I had written reviews for all of the films I've seen I can easily sort out my favourites of the year, in fact I'll list them all in ratings order. Its been a great year at the cinema for me. My ratings have only gone as low as 5/10 which suggests that either I have been lucky to avoid the real stinkers or I actually enjoy stinkers! But with lesser films, I still enjoy what ever virtues it has to give unless it is diabolical so I am very far from being a cynic. But its the top part of the list that really shine and made it a great year. I will be seeing 4 more movies this week, all of which are preview screenings of films coming out after Xmas. I will add those to the list. I have a feeling I have missed some great or entertaining films and wish I could have seen on the big screen so I look forward to seeing everyone else's favourites too :)

1. The Artist 9.8/10 Beautiful homage to the silent/earlie talkies era. BRILLIFICENTIFUL!
2 Rise of the Planet of the Apes 9.5/10 Have to invent a new word for this film...and that word is BRILLIFICENT!
3 Source Code 9/10 Awesome, intelligent Hitchcockian style SF for the mass audience
4 X Men:Frist Class 9/10 Best Prequel film ever made. This movie is truly First Class
5 Crazy Stupid Love 9/10 Wonderfully performances in this very smart and funny situation comedy
6 The Iron Lady 9/10 Streep is mesmerising in a beautifully crafted movie about a woman who changed the face of Britain
7 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 9/10 An Exhilarating and Beautiful Conclusion to a Magnificently Adapted Saga
8 Super 8 8.5/10 Wonderful throwback to Spielbergian 80s sci fi by prodigee JJ Abrams
9 Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol 8.5/10 Mission Objective: Rejevunate Franchise - mission highly accomplished
10 Puss in Boots 8.5/10 Sassy, suave and surprisingly toe tapping comedy adventure with a lot of heart
11 Mother and Child 8/10 Gentle, often funny, bittersweet drama with superb performances from the cast
12 Thor 3D 8/10 Nicely complements the tone of the Iron Man films. Good comic book entertainment
13 The Adventures of Tin Tin 8/10 Vintage Spielberg adventure but in animated form. A visual feast.
14 Tangled 8/10 Not anywhere near the heights of old Disney classics but entertaining, funny and cgi is done well to capture the spirit of traditional hand drawn animation.

15 Insidious 8/10 Loaded with BOO moments, good use of its low budget, great storyline but a rip off of a popular 80s fav
16 Captain America: First Avenger 7.5/10 An enjoyable intro to the future Avengers leader
17 Drive 7.5/10 Seems like a remake of The Driver but this is enjoyably atmospheric but a few too many long ridiculous silences
18 Trespass 7.5/10 Implausible but enjoyable Ni Cage thriller
19 Flyng Monsters 3D 7/10 Visually splendid, educational journey of the evolution of flying dinosaurs
20 Tower Heist 7/10 A pleasantly funny comedy caper but not a laugh out loud one
21 The Debt 7/10 Intriguing drama a group of championed resistant fighters covering up a long held secret
22 Cowboys and Aliens 7/10 Boring dialogue for a western but cross genre story and action was fun
23 columbiana 7/10 Slick B movie action flick with a very sassy heroine
24 A Lonely Place to Die 7/10 An exciting enough British chase thriller
25 Your Highness 7/10 Filthy, gory and very funny
26 Fright Night 7/10 Inferior remake but still an entertaining one
27 Immortals 7/10 Enjoyable but forgettable fantasy of war between Gods, beasts and humans
28 The Fighter 6.5/10 Absorbing if unoriginal drama, true story, fight choreagraphy is dissapointing but Christian Bale steals the show.
29 The Ides of March 6.5/10 Snazzy performances from reliable cast compensates for this implausible OTT political backdoor story
30 Win Win 6.5/10 Not the sports movie I was expecting, just mainly a sweet melodrama punctuated by the ever reliable greatness of Paul Giomatti's subtle performance
31 Justice 6.5/10 Decent but forgettable thriller, Nic Cage in charmingly bad acting form again
32 Woman in Black 6/10 Disappointing adaptation, atmospheric but spoiled but cheap scares
33 Happy Feet 2 6/10 Dissapointing sequel but still some enjoyment to be had
34 Take Shelter 6/10 Well acted but depressing with an ending that felt tacked on to please a certain audience
35 Perfect Sense 6/10 Initially I gave this 5/10 but it is a great concept. Pity its quite boring and tediious
36 Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides 6/10 4th film becomes a bit stale, less wit, very dull story, too darkly lit for 3D but Depp's Jack Sparrow is always a saviour
37 Kill List 5/10 Way over rated. Pulp Fiction corsses Wicker Man with inferior but bizarre results
38 Conan 5/10 For a fantasy this lacks imagination, acting is really bad that actually makes me laugh hence the 5 marks

Last edited:
That's was an awesome montage, I far prefer this one than the first one. More soulful editing and lingering shots helped to remember some of the films.

Um...you did say to list our favourites, right? Kinda feel awkward I am the only one so far, was hoping to see others favourites....:(

Can only comment on those films I have seen this year, but thus far my highlights have been...

Drive
Warrior
Tyrannosaur
Margin Call
One Day
The Company Men (Released in the UK March 2011)
Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes
The Tree Of Life

The Lincoln Lawyer
Limitless
Source Code
Super 8
Drive
Hanna
Rise of the Apes
X-men First class
The Conspirator
The Guard
Shame
Cargange
Melancholia
MI4

Last edited:
Excellent montages. Cheers for posting these. 2nd one is the best of the bunch.

As for films of the year:
Rise of the planet of the Apes
Bridesmaids
The Guard

Top ten:

1 Drive
2 Margaret
3 The Woman
4 Weekend
5 Rise of the Planet of the Apes
6 A Separation
7 Super 8
8 Martha, Marcy, May, Marlene
9 Tomboy
10 Submarine

Bubbling under:

Senna, Red White and Blue, Source Code, Carnage, The Dead, The Artist, Kill List, Le Quattro Volte

Films I saw last year which got released this year and which made my top ten in 2010:

Amer, True Grit, Black Swan, Animal Kingdom

Worst film:

Tintin

Most overrated:

We Need to Talk About Kevin, Melancholia, Shame, Tinker Tailor....

Last edited:
A few that stood out for me;

The Guard
Warrior
Horrible Bosses
True Grit

Warrior probably my favourite of the year but that's because I'm an MMA freak.

Not 2011, but 1982, as the Alamo Drafthouse (cinema in Austin, Texas) is recreating the "Summer of 1982" to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the greatest summer of movies... ever! From May through July, the theater will replicate 1982's earth-shaking release schedule, screening eight of the biggest genre classics on the same weekends they were released exactly 30 years ago.

They have chosen a small selection of films, and maybe not to everyone's taste

My favourites:

Drive
Melancholia
Tinker Tailor
Warrior
Contagion
The Fighter
Rise of the planet of the Apes
Ironclad
Limitless
Fast 5
Hanna
Blitz
Source Code

Not bad..

Rango
Insidious
Super 8
Kung Fu panda 2
Final destination 5
Thor
Cowboys v Aliens
Captain America
Ides of March

Disappointments:

13 Assassins
Cars 2
True Grit
The Adjustment Bureau
The Mechanic

Crapolla corner:

Transformers 3
Abduction
Priest
Dont be Afraid of the Dark
Drive Angry
Colombiana
Battle LA

14 Tangled 8/10 Not anywhere near the heights of old Disney classics but entertaining, funny and cgi is done well to capture the spirit of traditional hand drawn animation.

What makes you say that? I thought it was the equal of most Disney classics (and Pixars come to that). Perfect story, songs, characters and animation. Just because its new doesn't mean its inferior ;)

I think this came out in 2010 btw. If it were a 2011 film it would be in my top ten.

Last edited:
My favourites of 2011 some where released originally 2010*

We need to talk about Kevin
Biutiful*
Incendies*
The Turin horse
Take shelter
13 Assassins*
Melancholia
Red state
Cold fish*
Tyrannosaur
The skin i live in
Red white and blue*
The tree of life
In a better world*
I saw the devil*
The yellow sea*
Drive
Le Quattro Volte*
The adventures of Tin Tin

What makes you say that? I thought it was the equal of most Disney classics (and Pixars come to that). Perfect story, songs, characters and animation. Just because its new doesn't mean its inferior ;)

I think this came out in 2010 btw. If it were a 2011 film it would be in my top ten.

I actually saw this as a preview screening on the 5th January. It was released in UK on the 28th January 2011. You are probably looking at American release date unless you saw an even earlier preview screening than I did! I log and review every single film I see at the cinema so I know the dates :)

Glad you thought it scaled the heights of other classics but I just didnt feel it to that extent but as my score reflects I highly enjoyed it. Being a modern film has nothing to do with it, I'm surprised at you to think of me that way, tut tut :D I thought Princess and the Frog could have been up there if the songs were a tad more tuneful. But give me a choice, I will watch Pinocchio, Dumbo, Jungle Book, Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, Little Mermaid, Aristocats, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Fox and the Hound, 101 dalmations, Hunchback of Notre Damn, and Aladdin endlessly over Tangled. But I rate Tangled over or equal to most of the other Disney movies.

I actually saw this as a preview screening on the 5th January. It was released in UK on the 28th January 2011. You are probably looking at American release date unless you saw an even earlier preview screening than I did! I log and review every single film I see at the cinema so I know the dates :)

Glad you thought it scaled the heights of other classics but I just didnt feel it to that extent but as my score reflects I highly enjoyed it. Being a modern film has nothing to do with it, I'm surprised at you to think of me that way, tut tut :D I thought Princess and the Frog could have been up there if the songs were a tad more tuneful. But give me a choice, I will watch Pinocchio, Dumbo, Jungle Book, Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, Little Mermaid, Aristocats, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Fox and the Hound, 101 dalmations, Hunchback of Notre Damn, and Aladdin endlessly over Tangled. But I rate Tangled over or equal to most of the other Disney movies.

Soz ;) :).

Tangled looked like it was going to be fun going by the trailers, but I didn't expect it to be quite that good. I preferred it to Princess and the Frog (also quite good), and it leaves it's peers Cars 2 and Kung Fu Panda 2 in the shade.

As for the other Disney classics? I'd still happily rate Tangled alongside Lion King, Jungle Book, or Pinnocio (pick an era). It can go toe-to-toe with any of them in terms of story, character, song and animation IMO. And the Rapunzel story is as timeless as any of the others.

Thats more than you can say for some of the other recent Disney animations: Bolt, Meet The Robinsons or Dinosaur.

Oh and my daughter simply adores it (she wants to be Rapunzel).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom