• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

2011 AVF Xbox 360 GOTY - Voting thread!

DJSigma

Banned
POLLS NOW CLOSED!

Final results: -

Xbox 360 Disc-Based GOTY: -

Game | Members | Total The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |allinthegame83, Beximus, carter91, Courtjezter, Crovon, dieeasysteve, Greasychipbutty, jassco, kav, KirkSi, kristianity77, Lurking Lawyer, Miss Mandy, NewBeetle, Nozzer17, ODB_69, Osirian08, Paul_T, samtman, sdb123, Sid skills, Yemeth|58
Batman: Arkham City |amazing-j, Bamford38, bearman3784, Beximus, Captain Speedy, Courtjezter, Crovon, daveon, Disco_Stu360, Dowson, gemmes, kav, meweavy, Miss Mandy, Mr Grebo, richp007, Tetlee, turk3y, Yemeth|39
Gears of War 3 |allinthegame83, Captain Speedy, DJSigma, gemmes, JustinJ004, kopchoir, majnu, Mr Grebo, o0holla0o, ODB_69, richp007, samtman, scanz, Sid skills, Tetlee, VivaFathom, Yemeth|37
Battlefield 3 |Captain Speedy, daveon, Dowson, gvp000, Jam3sWilliams, Kinetic Frenzy, KirkSi, meweavy, Noggleboggleman, o0holla0o, ODB_69, Rorifett, sdb123, turk3y, villalad77|30
Portal 2 |amazing-j, Bamford38, bearman3784, carter91, Crovon, FallibleBabble, Guns_LotsOfGuns, gvp000, Miss Mandy, Mr Grebo, Noggleboggleman, Paul_T|26
Deus Ex: Human Revolution |allinthegame83, Beximus, daveon, FallibleBabble, Guns_LotsOfGuns, Lurking Lawyer, Noggleboggleman, Nozzer17, Osirian08, turk3y|19
Dead Space 2 |Bamford38, carter91, DJSigma, Guns_LotsOfGuns, meweavy, sdb123, tomsoyer|14
Dark Souls |gvp000, kopchoir, kristianity77, Lurking Lawyer|12
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |bearman3784, Jam3sWilliams, NewBeetle, VivaFathom|8
Saints Row: The Third |FallibleBabble, kav, Rorifett|5
FIFA 12 |Disco_Stu360, jassco, o0holla0o|4
Forza Motorsport 4 |Kinetic Frenzy, Sid skills|4
L.A. Noire |Greasychipbutty, JustinJ004, Osirian08|4
Assassin's Creed: Revelations |DJSigma|3
Rage |KirkSi, tomsoyer|3
Rayman Origins |Disco_Stu360, kristianity77|3
Test Drive Unlimited 2 |amazing-j|3
Alice: Madness Returns |samtman|2
Dead Island |Greasychipbutty|2
DiRT 3 |VivaFathom|2
Bulletstorm |Courtjezter|1
Driver: San Francisco |richp007|1
Homefront |Rorifett|1
Mortal Kombat |JustinJ004|1
Operation Flashpoint: Red River |Paul_T|1
Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 |kopchoir|1
Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure |Jam3sWilliams|1
Tropico 4 |jassco|1

Kinect GOTY: -

Game | Members | Total Child of Eden |Bamford38, Disco_Stu360, DJSigma, Guns_LotsOfGuns, ODB_69, samtman, turk3y|7
Fruit Ninja Kinect |Greasychipbutty, Noggleboggleman, sdb123|3
Kinect Sports: Season Two |Captain Speedy, Jam3sWilliams|2
The Gunstringer |gemmes, gvp000|2
Dance Central 2 |carter91|1
Kinect Disneyland Adventures |kopchoir|1

XBLA GOTY: -

Game | Members | Total Bastion |Bamford38, FallibleBabble, Guns_LotsOfGuns, Jam3sWilliams, Lurking Lawyer, Osirian08, Rorifett, samtman|20
Beyond Good & Evil HD |Captain Speedy, carter91, kopchoir, kristianity77, Osirian08, samtman|15
From Dust |FallibleBabble, jassco, ODB_69, Osirian08, Rorifett|11
Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes HD |AvSP, DJSigma, Tetlee|8
Stacking |Noggleboggleman, turk3y|6
Daytona USA |Disco_Stu360, sdb123|5
Full House Poker |FallibleBabble, Greasychipbutty|5
Hole In The Wall |carter91, kopchoir, sdb123|5
Joe Danger: Special Edition |Disco_Stu360, Noggleboggleman|5
Ms. Splosion Man |AvSP, Bamford38|5
Orcs Must Die |Guns_LotsOfGuns, Jam3sWilliams, VivaFathom|5
Skydrift |Rorifett, Tetlee|5
Torchlight |Crovon, VivaFathom|5
Outland |Jam3sWilliams, samtman|4
Sega Rally Online Arcade |amazing-j, turk3y|4
Dungeon Defenders |VivaFathom|3
The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile |Bamford38, DJSigma|3
Guardian Heroes HD |turk3y|2
Renegade Ops |DJSigma, Guns_LotsOfGuns|2
Toy Soldiers: Cold War |carter91|2
TNT Racers |Tetlee|1
Trine 2 |Noggleboggleman|1

Indie GOTY: -

Game | Members | Total Magic Racing GP 2 |Rorifett, Tetlee|2
Cthulhu Saves the World |jassco|1
DLC Quest |Noggleboggleman|1
Wizorb |DJSigma|1

DLC OTY: -

Game | Members | Total Back to Karkand (Battlefield 3) |daveon, Dowson, Kinetic Frenzy, KirkSi, Noggleboggleman, o0holla0o, Rorifett, sdb123, turk3y, Yemeth|10
Catwoman (Batman: Arkham City) |Beximus, Crovon, Disco_Stu360, Tetlee|4
Old World Blues (Fallout: New Vegas) |amazing-j, kav, Lurking Lawyer|3
Peer Review (Portal 2) |carter91, FallibleBabble|2
Arrival (Mass Effect 2) |allinthegame83|1
Marvel: Vengeance & Virtue (Pinball FX2) |DJSigma|1
RAAM's Shadow (Gears of War 3) |ODB_69|1
Rezurrection Map Pack (Call of Duty: Black Ops) |majnu|1
Severed (Dead Space 2) |Bamford38|1
The Da Vinci Disappearance (Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood) |kopchoir|1
The Missing Link (Deus Ex: Human Revolution) |Osirian08|1

Turkey OTY: -

Game | Members | Total Battlefield 3 |Crovon, jassco, majnu, NewBeetle, Osirian08, richp007, samtman, scanz, Sid skills, Yemeth|10
L.A. Noire |allinthegame83, bearman3784, DJSigma, kav, Kinetic Frenzy, Mr Grebo|6
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |gvp000, meweavy, Noggleboggleman, o0holla0o, turk3y|5
Brink |daveon, Miss Mandy, Rorifett, sdb123|4
Rage |Bamford38, gemmes, Lurking Lawyer|3
Test Drive Unlimited 2 |Captain Speedy, carter91, Paul_T|3
Deus Ex: Human Revolution |Greasychipbutty, tomsoyer|2
Duke Nukem Forever |Jam3sWilliams, kristianity77|2
Batman: Arkham City |kopchoir|1
Dead Island |Disco_Stu360|1
Dragon Age II |dieeasysteve|1
FIFA 12 |JustinJ004|1
Homefront |ODB_69|1
Red Faction: Armageddon |FallibleBabble|1

Results accurate up to and including post #85 (ODB_69). If you think you've spotted a mistake in the table, it's probably because someone PMed me and changed their vote, but PM me about it anyway.

Last edited:

DJSigma

Banned
It's that time again! This year I've added a Kinect category and a Turkey of the year category (for a bit of fun), and I've expanded the XBLA section so you can nominate up to 3 games. When you vote, you can leave parts of the voting form blank if you have no nominations to make in any particular categories. All games and content must have been released in 2011.

Game lists to help with voting: -

Xbox 360 disc-based games
XBLA games
Kinect games

You can sort those lists by year of release if you want to remind yourself which games came out in 2011.

Kinect game of the year rules: -

1. You can vote for any game that has Kinect functionality, but make sure you're voting based on the usage of Kinect. For example, don't vote for Forza 4 as best Kinect game of the year just because it has Kinect support, if you didn't actually use Kinect at all to play it, lol.

2. You can nominate games that have Kinect support in the main 360 disc-based GOTY category and in the XBLA GOTY category if you feel that they deserve a spot in the top 3 when put up against all other games released in 2011, including the non-Kinect ones.

Hopefully that's clear.

Turkey of the year: -

This is a category for the game that disappointed you the most. It can be disc-based, Kinect, XBLA or an indie game, but it should be a game that you were absolutely hyped for, then when you finally got to play it, it was a great steaming pile of........ you know what.

Scoring: -

In the 360 disc-based GOTY and XBLA GOTY sections, you can nominate up to 3 games. Your number 1 choice gets 3 points, number 2 gets 2 points, and number 3 gets 1 point. In the other categories, all nominations get 1 point.

Voting form: -

Copy and paste the form below into the reply box and add your nominations: -

Xbox 360 disc-based game of the year: -

Kinect game of the year: -

XBLA game of the year: -

Indie game of the year: -

DLC of the year: -

Last edited:

Mark Botwright

Distinguished Member
The gaming podcast guys will be doing a GOTY special for the first edition of 2012, so we'll be keeping an eye on this and hopefully discussing your votes and reasons, so we'd appreciate your participation. :)

DJSigma

Banned

1. Assassin's Creed: Revelations
2. Dead Space 2
3. Gears of War 3

1. Child of Eden

1. Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes HD
2. The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile
3. Renegade Ops

1. Wizorb

1. Marvel: Vengeance & Virtue (Pinball FX2)

1. L.A. Noire

I've only just got the DLC for Pinball FX2 today, but I already know it'll give me more hours of gaming fun than any other DLC I've downloaded this year, so it gets my vote.

Last edited:

Noggleboggleman

1. Portal 2
2. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
3. Battlefield 3

1. Fruit Ninja Kinect

1. Stacking
2. Joe Danger (previously Kinect Fun Labs)
3. Trine 2 (previously LeedMees)

1. DLC Quest

1. Back to Karkand (BF3)

1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Although I've got Skyrim, I've really not played it enough to justify a place in my list yet. Also, the Arcade has been a very sparse year for me, but the Kinect games on it have really stood out and hopefully developers will see it as a platform to get some of their ideas out (especially as many Kinect retails games don't justify their price tag). Finally, I felt a bit bad about voting for MW3 as the turkey, but I bought it on release and had sold it less than two weeks later as I felt it was like a map pack from MW2 rather than a new game. It's certainly not awful, but it didn't live up to my expectations at all.

Last edited:

Bamford38

Banned

1. Portal 2
2. Dead Space 2
3. Arkham City

1. Child of eden (if that counts)

1. Ms Splosion Man
2. Bastion
3. The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile

1. Leave Home

1. Severed - Dead Space 2

1. Rage

Skyrim and Dark Souls very nearly made it into the top 3 games of the year. But i think the 3 i chose were better all rounders, good story, good controls, good fun, good atmosphere, etc.
I hope people dont forget about Dead Space 2, as it came out at the beginning of the year. If Portal 2 wouldnt of been the towering display of perfection that it is, then Dead Space 2 would have been a runaway winner.

and Rage was just rubbish...............that is all

Last edited:

Guns_LotsOfGuns

Moderator/Games Reviewer
1.Xbox 360 disc-based game of the year: -

1.Portal 2
2.Deus Ex
3.Dead Space 2

1. Child of Eden

1.Bastion
2.Orcs Must Die
3.Renegade Ops

1. Pass

1. Pass

1. Pass

Ben Ingber

1. Deus Ex: HR
2. Portal 2
3. Saints Row: The Third

1. Bastion
2. Full House Poker
3. From Dust

1. Portal 2 DLC (Peer Review)

1. Red Faction: Armageddon

I'm more surprised than anyone that I've put Saints Row 3 in my top games. But I'm pouring endless hours in at the moment, and I don't see myself slowing down. It's a long way behind the first two though, which to my mind are comfortably the best Xbox games of the year.

I quite enjoyed the last Red Faction, silly thing that it was, and was quite looking forward to Armageddon. Absolutely hated it.

No choice for indie game as the best I played was FortressCraft but it's so derivative I wouldn't feel right voting it as a GOTY. I have to say, I didn't really enjoy any other Xbox indie games I played at all.

I try to avoid DLC as a rule, but Portal 2's was free and added co-op content. Can't go wrong.

I have absolutely no interest in Kinect.

Last edited:

Nozey

Distinguished Member
1. Dark Souls - Amazing and very under-hyped on the XBOX
2. Portal 2 - Possibly too short, but that could be because it's soooo good.
3. Battlefield 3 - This has squeaked DS2 out of my top 3.

1. Gun Stringer

1. N/A

1. N/A

1. N/A

1. COD MW3 - Never before been let down this much

Captain Speedy

1. Batman Arkahm City
2. Gears of War 3
3. Battlefield 3

1. Kinect Sports Season 2

1. Beyond Good and Evil

1. pass

1. pass

1. [-]Homefront[/-] Test Drive Unlimited 2

Last edited:

scogem

1. Gears of War 3
2. Batman Arkham City (Easily No1 if more Lasting Appeal)
3. Pass

1. Gunstringer

1. None of them. (DLC has all been disappointing)

1. Rage. (Could have been a great game if had a story/charachters/ending/etc)

Last edited:

DJSigma

Banned
@gemmes - Fallout: New Vegas was 2010.

And to anyone - If you edit your post and change your votes after I've already added your details to the tables in post 1, could you please PM me and let me know? Cheers. Everything is accurate up to this point, but I'm not going to go back and check older posts for edits, so if you don't PM me, your original choices will stand.

Last edited:

Captain Speedy

Changed my Turkey game, Sorry DJ.

Osirian08

1. Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim
2. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
3. LA Noire

1. Sorry - don't use Kinect

1. From Dust
2. Beyond Good & Evil HD
3. Bastion

1. n/a

1. Deus Ex HR : The Missing Link

1. Battlefield 3

Skyrim wins for me, despite only being released in November. Another astonishing entry for the Elder Scrolls series :smashin:

Stephen Carter

AVF Games Reviewer
1. Skyrim
2. Portal 2
3. Dead Space 2

1. Dance Central 2

1. Beyond Good and Evil HD
2. Toy Soldiers Cold War
3. Hole in the Wall

1. N/A

1. Peer Review

1. Test Drive Unlimited 2

Skyrim comes top because i know ill still be playing it in about a years time, Portal was amazing single player and co-op and im inevitably going to pick it up again at some point and Dead Space 2 because it provide the best thrills around to date and will still shock people who havent played it yet. You can see how much i love these games in my reviews i did for all three :)

Oh, and you can see how much i disliked Test Drive 2 in the politest way possible in my review of that too.

majnu

Distinguished Member
where is bodycount? that game should have walked away with a bafta lol

goty - gears 3 all the way for me.
cold turkey - battlefield 3.

Lurking Lawyer

Distinguished Member

1. Dark Souls
2. Deus Ex
3. Skyrim

XBLA game of the year:

1. A World Keflings (is that 2011 - it may have been late 2010, even though I didn't play it until this year)

1. Fallout: New Vegas - Old World Blues

1. Rage

I found it really difficult to pick between a number of games that I've really enjoyed this year. Somewhat perversely, I've put Dark Souls at number one even though I got stuck quite early and haven't got around to going back to it. I shall be doing so over Christmas - it's waaaaaay to good a game to leave with so much of it unplayed.

Portal 2, Dead Space 2 and Arkham City could all have made it into a Top 3 but, on balance, I think the immersive Deus Ex story line and the sheer epicness and scale of Skyrim mean that they get the nod.

A good gaming year, all in all!

Last edited:

Nozey

Distinguished Member

I found it really difficult to pick between a number of games that I've really enjoyed this year. Somewhat perversely, I've put Dark Souls at number one even though I got stuck quite early and haven't got around to going back to it. I shall be doing so over Christmas - it's waaaaaay to good a game to leave with so much of it unplayed.

Portal 2, Dead Space 2 and Arkham City could all have made it into a Top 3 but, on balance, I think the immersive Deus Ex story line and the sheerness scale of Skyrim mean that they get the nod.

A good gaming year, all in all!

lol - I had the same dilemma, but chose different games. Skyrim might have made it for me if I'd had time to put some hours into it. I left Dark Souls stuck somewhere too, but I KNOW it'll creep back into disk tray again. It's made a lasting impression on me which is why it's at #1 in my list. It's the game I'd want everyone to try :)

Greasychipbutty

1.Skyrim
2.Dead Island
3.L.A. Noire

1.Fruit Ninja Kinect

1.Full House Poker

1. Deus Ex

Rorifett

Distinguished Member

1. Battlefield 3 - not often that I find a FPS to hold my attention with very little 'bad' about it but this has ticked all the boxes for me this year
2. Saint Row the Third, daft but great
3. Homefront - was expecting good things from this but unfortunately it ultimately strayed too far from Frontlines/Battlefield type of game and tried to mimic CoD which wasn't going to work out well. Good effort but just sadly lacking.

1. NA

XBLA game of the year: - Tough one this year, don't think there have been many properly stellar choices for me but then I still detest the 1200 point price tag on many games. *EDIT* Turns out after price reductions there was actually quite a few good games this year :) Amendments below

1. Bastion - almost wish I'd paid the 1200 for this at release (I don't really ;)) - great wee game and glad I got it in the sales.
2. Skydrift - need to play this more but definitely a brilliant title
3. From Dust - only started playing this recently but after not liking the demo and the price drop to 800 I've started it and started wishing I'd bought it at launch right enough

1. Magic Racing GP 2 - just released but looks amazing for an indie game. Little Racers has been pipped to the post I think. 16 player online top-down racing. Need I say more?

1. Back to Karkand - the only DLC worthy of a mention that I've got but I'm not really a DLC kinda guy

1. Brink - was really looking forward to this since it was announced, didn't even buy it when it released cos I smelt a bad one coming on and after playing it round at a mate's my fears were confirmed.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom