Quantcast

2011 27" iMac keeps crashing! Help!

MAGiK

Hey guys,

Right I bought a 27" iMac in summer this year and well it was perfect, however I didn't really put it through its paces until I started uni this semester, I'm studying computer games art and use a lot of graphics intensive software, which was the main reason to switching from a pc.

When the mac crashes it is normally red hot at the back and it won't do anything the whole machine just freezes and I loose almost everything I did in that session!

Tech specs:
3.4ghz i7 processor
12gb ram
256gb SSD with 2tb HDD
2gb graphics

The software I use mainly:
Safari iTunes ect ect
Photoshop
Mud box 2011

Parallels desktop 7
Which normally runs
3ds max 2011
UDK 2011 September build

And I'm running this for a reasonable amount of time as well
Not everything all at once though!

Also I use a Zeppelins air on AirPlay for my music but it seems to keep cutting out when I have a couple of bits of software open?

This happens on a rather regular basis now also! I have called apple care but got someone who told me to take it to a store which I will do next week but I need to get uni work done for the week I go back :p

It is sat on a desk in a well ventilated area and kept very clean with nothing placed on or around it!

This not what I expect from a £2.5k machine, just wondering if there is anything I may have missed or something I'm not getting right!

Please help!

Br0ken

Distinguished Member
Open Activity Monitor and check the memory usage whilst your working. Might help give an idea of why it's freezing. The over heating might be a reason for the freeze too.

CamFire

Red hot at the back? Sounds like a fire hazard to me :eek: . Anyway, run a app to show the temperatures - eg., iStatPro or TemperatureMonitor - and grab a screenshot as proof.

captainH

Open up your console (type console into spotlight) and see what messages you received just as the system froze.

Top Bottom