2010 LCD vs 2017 4k LED

Triniviking

Novice Member
I know there may not be a straight forward answer but I have a 42LD450 which is an LG from 2010. How much of an improvement would a 2016/2017 budget 4k model be something like LG UH615V or UE MU6400. I know the 4k content should be quite an improvement but what about the overall picture quality even of 1080p movie, also video games as I play on the xbox one and ps4 a lot and may buy a ps4 pro if I do get the new tv. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out.

next010

Distinguished Member
I have an older 2012 LG LM760 TV and compared to current models there is an improvement in picture quality in general.

If your used to the wide viewing angles of IPS panels you may want to stick with the LG, a lot of other LCD TV's use VA panels in mid to high end product ranges. VA panels have narrow viewing angles so you have to be really in the centre of the display to get the best picture. The Samsung MU6400 is VA based for example and the UH615V is IPS based (also a 2016 model, review here of USA version).

If going with the LG I would leave HDR disabled on consoles, on a mid range TV with an IPS panel your not going to get very good HDR so it may be better left off. You will still the get image quality improvements from the newer panel and from games running at higher resolutions on PS4 Pro.

next010

Distinguished Member
The rgbw thing really only matters most if your using it with a PC for text reading, for game consoles you'll never notice it.

Triniviking

Novice Member
Thanks for reassuring me about that. LG 49UJ634V is £400. I read that you need HDCP 2.2 for 4k netflix throught he ps pro. Would this tv be ok cant find anything about it only that ists hdmi 2.0b.

next010

Distinguished Member
Yeah HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0 are required for 4K Netflix or PS4 Pro running at 4K. That model would be fine, alternatively if you can stretch your budget a little there is the 49" UJ670V here or here for £475 new. The specifications are near identical (extra HDMI port + local dimming) to the 634 so why pay an extra 75 well LG seem to do better quality control the higher up the model number goes so the IPS panel may be slightly better quality.

Trending threads

Top Bottom