200mbps

thedude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
standard onboard isn't getting me my 200mbps so i need something to get it, unless my card does and i don't know how to get it too! either way some help needed I have fast broadband and not getting the true speed i need!

i have this Qualcomm Atheros AR8161 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30) but only shows 100mbps on win 10

Last edited:
sorted! dont worry swapped a cable over bingo bongo bango works

Was it just a faulty cable?. Might be useful info for anyone in the same situation.

the cable wasn't faulty and then it was, so swapped it over works fine.
the actual router is a pile of horse @@$% though, im going to look at a better one

the cable wasn't faulty and then it was, so swapped it over works fine.
the actual router is a pile of horse @@$% though, im going to look at a better one
What are your DL speeds like around 6PM dude?

Sometimes your card will only connect at 100Mbps, not gigabit. I used to have that issue from time to time, even though it was gigabit both ends and cat5e. Taking the cable out then in sorted it. Go into the properties of the connection and it'll say your connection speed.

So probably the cable or router port being a bit unreliable.

Sometimes your card will only connect at 100Mbps, not gigabit. I used to have that issue from time to time, even though it was gigabit both ends and cat5e. Taking the cable out then in sorted it. Go into the properties of the connection and it'll say your connection speed.

So probably the cable or router port being a bit unreliable.
I've had problems too and so has @Yonner.

Most of the time we get the full speed (we live on the same street) and other times it drops out so bad :(.

4ZDHaqi.png
Wunnnnq.png

We've both been on the phone to virgin and they said they are struggling but are fixing the problem and they expect it to be fixed by the end of March!

We both got a £12.50 refund per month until it's fixed, it's a damn joke IMO, I pay for 200Mb and I'd rather have a stable 200Mb DL than a £12.50 discount.

When you are changing cables over you might change a cable when your speed has come back and think argh that has sorted it! You are better ringing Virgin Media and asking are they working on the problem in your area. :)

@andiuk007 Mines always usually fine mate, 200 or more. The internal network problem I had was a couple of years ago, but was similar to the OP so thought I'd mention it.

How much you paying? Work used to pay for mine so asked them to reduce, which they did to 34 but then a month later it went up 1.50 odd. Called them back and had a really patronising guy saying I've been told, they can see an email was sent and I would have been told on the call which is recorded. I said well I've had no email and nothing at all was mentioned on the call, but he outright refused to revert it back and said "there's no chance you'll have that done".

I'm calling virgin media back tonight to reduce my BB to the slowest speed and have the £12:50p off every month till its fixed

I had 1.7mb on Saturday it's a joke

I had 1.7mb on Saturday it's a joke
I've never had that low but I can believe it mate, it took me 23 hours to download GTAV last week but the day after it took 45 minutes to download a 60GB bluray, it's so unstable.

Please let me know what result you get from Virgin when you ting them bud. ☺

It was fine last night over 200mb and set up the router to manually output 5g and 2g makes wireless more stable on the laptop and phones. Easily getting over 200mb. I'll try when I am home to check speeds I may look at investing it a TPlink modem router that's better than the shit they give me.
Spoke to one guy at virgin who was brilliant another that was a dick.
They have said the config file which determines what the speed is hasn't changed, I then thought I wonder if I could change that file at all myself which would be cool

I did the free upgrade a few weeks ago. Well it wasn't exactly free, had to pay £6 for the SuperHub 2 which I didn't really want.

At first I wasn't getting much more than my previous 150mbps. Had a look in my Asus modem settings and noticed that Hardware Acceleration was turned off (wasn't compatible when I ran a game server a year ago). Turning it back on seems to have fixed things. This is the speed I got a few minutes ago:-

BB Speed.PNG

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom