200hz - Worth the extra £500?

Sphinx-BMW

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Need help to decide between 3 TV's :

Samsung LE46B750 - 200hz TV - £1500 (currys)
Sony KDL-46Z4500 - 200hz TV - £1399 (RGBdirect.co.uk )
Samsung LE46B650 - 100hz TV - £999 (Richer Sounds)

TV will mainly be used for SD (upscaled via Virgin V+) and DVD's. (Blueray player coming later on).

After reading lots of reviews, they said 200hz does make a difference over the 100hz - The question I am asking - is it worth the £500 extra.

Thanks.

I'm not in the market right now so haven't been researching, but those Panasonics on the TV ads that boast 600Hz sound pretty hot.

Have you looked into them? Dunno how much they're going for mind.

Hi -

I have just installed Sony KDL-5500 46" and a 52"
Both of these are 100Hz

Spent a lot of time researching and viewing 200hz.

I'm no means an expert and relied mainly on my own "eyes".

I spent a great deal of time in a large household name retail store; took my own Blu Ray Disks and played.

It was very difficult to judge - but I believe there was a miniscule improvement in some scenes - but even now I'm not that sure.

So in a nutshell - couldn't see any noticeable improvement that would have warranted a massive hike in price for the 200Hz versions.

Must stress though - my decision is purely subjective.

Best bet for you is to go and "see"; if you have a store near you.

Martin

I'm not in the market right now so haven't been researching, but those Panasonics on the TV ads that boast 600Hz sound pretty hot.

Have you looked into them? Dunno how much they're going for mind.

IIRC - 600hz is on the Plasma's only.

Best bet for you is to go and "see"; if you have a store near you.

Thanks for the reply. I have spent hours in currys & comet try to compare the difference.

Unfortunately, they wouldn't let me try my blueray disc, as "all the av feed comes one source" :boring:

so I have to compare them using there in-store demo which doesn't really show any fast moving objects. :rolleyes:

The only conclusion I have to come to is that the LCD has a better picture than the LED model.

Noticed the auto-dimming a lot on the LED (Ue46B6000) and hardly any on the LCD (LE46b750).

Dont want a plasma due to high running costs associated with it and screen burn has put me off it.

Going back to the 200hz - found a review that said the 100hz on the philips is just as good ??

In the real world - how noticible is the lag when watching SD (upscaled or not) on 100hz with motion flow on?

Thanks for the reply. I have spent hours in currys & comet try to compare the difference.

Unfortunately, they wouldn't let me try my blueray disc, as "all the av feed comes one source" :boring:

so I have to compare them using there in-store demo which doesn't really show any fast moving objects. :rolleyes:

The only conclusion I have to come to is that the LCD has a better picture than the LED model.

Noticed the auto-dimming a lot on the LED (Ue46B6000) and hardly any on the LCD (LE46b750).

Dont want a plasma due to high running costs associated with it and screen burn has put me off it.

Going back to the 200hz - found a review that said the 100hz on the philips is just as good ??

In the real world - how noticible is the lag when watching SD (upscaled or not) on 100hz with motion flow on?

Interesting - I'm happy I'm not the only one suitably unimpressed with LED technology. Pictures seem unnatural to me.

As for 200hz. I usually have the 100hz switched off on my TVs, apart from football, but in truth it is just a lot of hype. If the screen is good, it shouldn't make a lot of difference until you get to the big big screens where motion blur is more noticable.

I should think at 47" there would be a small noticable difference between normal and 100hz - but what difference the extra 100hz would make I don't know. Little would be my guess.

I share this thought and find that the none LED backlit models i actually prefer the picture, whether this is from the uniform backlight being used or possibly a different panel im not sure....

Plasmas barely use more power ( particurly this years ones ) and they actually use *less* power on darker scenes it really does depend on what is being shown. Even on fully bright scenes they do not use that much more many of this years plasmas are pretty energy efficient and even have logos slapped all over the boxes.

Ontop of that the picture most equally priced Plasmas give for films and normal television is that much better imho with lack of smearing and much richer colours and an overall more natural picture combined with no viewing angles makes plasmas a no brainer in most cases for myself... i owned LCDs for many years and when i made the switch to plasma it was such a positive change... I had been converted to plasma :p

Screen burn really is not an issue unless you want to pause a dvd for *several*hours on a really bright scene but most dvds either stick a screen saver or auto dim after a period of time. Most logos on channels are very dimmed out and things like bbc news change between things often enough not to cause any damage. To get screen burn id say you would really need to abuse a plasma even if your gaming on it :smashin:

To be honest i find both 100hz and 200hz a gimmick feature, the motion is so "unnatural" it all seems too fake and smooth it all looks like its been sped up and a personal video camera has been used to record the whole scene its really quite horrible. Even the best implementations which id say was probably the Panasonic Motion enhancement im not a fan of... I find the sharp and philips 100hz implementations to be a distaster *so* many motion artifacts introduced they both look like turd.

Certainly don't pay any extra for 200hz.... especially not £500 more! :eek:

Give a plasma a go :smashin:

Thanks for the reply guys.

A lot of people on this forum have said Plasma dont use that much more power than the LCD.

On paper however, a 46" LCD uses around 300w an equivalent 50" Samsung Plasma uses 440w.

I did consider plasma at one point, but went back to LCD.

The first shop I went to had a 52" LCD on the left, a 50" 50" Plasma, in the middle, and a 55" LED on the right.

However, i doubt any of these sets were calibrated so going on straight out of the box settings :

LCD - Great picture quality - blacks were fantastic! Contrast and brightness was spot on.
Plasma - Dark picture, a lot of glare coming back at you
LED - Picture was good, but not as good as the LCD. Contrast was not as good as LCD.

Went to another shop yesterday.

The had a LED 40" (UE406000 - £1595) on the left, 6 Series LCD (LE40B651T - £900) in the middle, and a 7 Series (LE40B750U - £1300) on the right.

Got the sales assistant to turn on 100hz Demo on the LED and the 6 series and 200hz Demo on the 7 Series.

The demo splits the screen in the half and shows a scroling text line on the bottom showing the difference.

Verdict - With text - yes the 200hz was smoother and better than the 100hz.
- With Picture - I would say no. Hardly any noticible difference - and definately not worth paying the extra £500 pounds!! :eek:

I might go for the LE46B651T which is only £999 at Richer Sounds when it comes into stock, but failing that I might wait to see what the new 8 Series LED has to offer.

Prices seem high at the moment, hopefully they should start to drop down a bit soon.

:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom