2009 LCD Prices?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by jpb82, Feb 5, 2009.

1. jpb82

jpb82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi

Ive been looking to buy a new 40" LCD in a couple of months for between £600 & £700 and have been looking at the
    Sony 40V4000, but im having second thoughts about buying a 2008 model as the new 2009 models will be released soon.

The problem is when sony and other manufacturers release there 2009 LCD's
    there prices will probably be much higher than the current models.

I dont know anything about the LCD models for 2009, so does anyone know if i will be able to get a good quality
    2009 1080p LCD for between £600 & £700 or should i just buy a 2008 model when the time comes?

Thanks

2. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Most of us have learned from experience that tempting though it is to buy new models as soon as they are introduced the prices plummet considerably as you go through the year. Buying on a 'buy now, pay in 12 months' deal is a bitter experience. By the time you pay you are settling at a price, say, of £900 when the set is currently available for £650. Fact of life I'm afraid.

3. simonf7

simonf7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Also, when buying a recently released set no one will know if there are any niggles or common faults - at least buying an older model there will be more information out there about it.

Si

4. limegreenzx

limegreenzx
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    You also need to factor in the current exchange rate. The old models may have been priced using old exchange rates. Newer models will likely be priced using the terrible current exchange rate.

Have a look how the Pound has dropped against the Dollar, Euro or Yen. Imports are going to get a lot more expensive and no LCD is assembled in this country.

5. simon11

simon11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I do exactly the opposite. I buy an old model when the new models come out. As said before you know what you are buying and you can get some great price reductions the older the model is. I just bought a Philips a few weeks ago.
    Retail £1799.00. Paid £999.00 with a great warranty deal!

6. Boostrail

Boostrail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    Er ........Several Toshiba models are assembled in Plymouth but of course from largely imported components. The LCD Panels are made by LG in Poland.

7. scarey

scarey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    the samsung le46a686 has gone up from £899 to£929 at robert whytes due to the pound getting weaker, apparently this will be the tread in months to come...