2008 PHILIPS TV WONT CONNECT TO SOUNDBAR

Robert1968

Novice Member
Reaction score
I've got a wee holiday flat and trying to connect my old philips 37PFL5522D/05 to a JBL soundbar.
The old TV does have 2 HDMI ports but when I connect either of them to the soundbar, the sound still comes through the TV. Won't come through soundbar.
Tried the settings on TV but no option to set HDMI output to a speaker or speaker system.
Wondering if I need to get an av to hdmi adaptor/convertor to get this to work?

The TV would need an ARC-enabled HDMI socket in order to pass sound to a soundbar and your TV doesn't unfortunately, judging by the specs. It doesn't look like it has an optical SPDIF (toslink) socket either, which would be the other common way of doing this.

On very old TVs, there was sometimes a way of outputting audio via a scart socket IIRC, but I've no idea whether this would be possible on yours and it would probably involve a lot of trial and error and messing about.

While not ideal, the easiest option for you might be the headphone socket but you'd need an appropriate input on your soundbar.

Last edited:
The scart socket may or may not output audio from the TV’s Freeview tuner but it will not output sound from anything plugged into the HDMI inputs…as suggested if your soundbar has an Aux input use the TV’s headphone output into that.

Soundbar only has an audio output...plus an optical and hdmi.
Why doesn't the hdmi work when I connect the TV to the spundbar...
I'm using a manhattan freeview HD adaptor which has an hdmi port and an av port...could that be the issue? Maybe if I connect the HD ready tv to soundbar with hdmi the soundbar will work but won't get HD?

The scart socket may or may not output audio from the TV’s Freeview tuner but it will not output sound from anything plugged into the HDMI inputs…as suggested if your soundbar has an Aux input use the TV’s headphone output into that.
I'm using a manhattan freeview HD adaptor which has an hdmi port and an av port...could that be the issue? Maybe if I connect the HD ready tv to soundbar with hdmi the soundbar will work but won't get HD?

The TV would need an ARC-enabled HDMI socket in order to pass sound to a soundbar and your TV doesn't unfortunately, judging by the specs. It doesn't look like it has an optical SPDIF (toslink) socket either, which would be the other common way of doing this.
On very old TVs, there was sometimes a way of outputting audio via a scart socket IIRC, but I've no idea whether this would be possible on yours and it would probably involve a lot of trial and error and messing about.

While not ideal, the easiest option for you might be the headphone socket but you'd need an appropriate input on your soundbar.

To re-phrase my reply above, the HDMI sockets on your TV are inputs only - they can't output sound to a soundbar.

If you're using a Manhattan Freeview set-top box to watch TV, then connect that to the soundbar with an optical SPDIF cable for digital sound.

Last edited:
To re-phrase my reply above, the HDMI sockets on your TV are inputs only - they can't output sound to a soundbar.

If you're using a Manhattan Freeview set-top box to watch TV, then connect that to the soundbar with an optical SPDIF cable for digital sound.
Gotcha. Unfortunately the manhattan freeview Box doesn't have an optical port. I think I'll try an hdmi splitter from freeview box with 1 going to the TV and the other to the soundbar, should work?

Repeating it four times won't change anything.

Last edited:
Gotcha. Unfortunately the manhattan freeview Box doesn't have an optical port. I think I'll try an hdmi splitter from freeview box with 1 going to the TV and the other to the soundbar, should work?

Try and see.

Ah, OK. I don't know for sure as I've never used one, but the kind of '1 in - 2 out' splitter you described might work - you would need to make sure it's one designed to display the output of one source on two different TVs at the same time though, rather than a splitter in which you switch between the two. It would only work for watching TV via the Freeview box - you won't get sound from the sound bar from any other source, including the TV itself.

Looks like the Manhattan T1 (presuming that's the one you have ?) only has a 3.5mm optical out (besides the HDMI). Does the soundbar not have a 3.5mm input ? You mentioned it has an audio output - are you sure that isn't an input ?

Last edited:
Ah, OK. I don't know for sure as I've never used one, but the kind of '1 in - 2 out' splitter you described might work - you would need to make sure it's one designed to display the output of one source on two different TVs at the same time though, rather than a splitter in which you switch between the two. It would only work for watching TV via the Freeview box - you won't get sound from the sound bar from any other source, including the TV itself.

Looks like the Manhattan T1 (presuming that's the one you have ?) only has a 3.5mm optical out (besides the HDMI). Does the soundbar not have a 3.5mm input ? You mentioned it has an audio output - are you sure that isn't an input ?

It's not optical but composite video and audio, so with a suitable jack lead 4 pole (14mm lenght) i.e. the Manhattan Analogue AV kit The Manhattan Analogue AV Kit and a 2 phono sockets lead to 3 pole 3.5mm plug example kenable 3.5mm Jack Plug to 2 x Phono Sockets Extension Adapter Cabl... , audio to to the sound bar it should be possible as it should be an input, not know a sound bar with an output.

Edit, correctly link, slightly wrong text:
2 phono sockets lead to 3 pole 3.5mm plug

Last edited:

I'll check again...cheers.
I thought you meant the more modern optical output rather than the 3.5mm jack. (Kmow what you mean now)

What’s the model no of your Manhattan box?
T1. Just tried running a 3.5mm jack from T1 to the JBL soundbar...nothing coming through soundbar at all...tried adjusting sound output on T1 to auto and stereo but still nothing

I'll check again...cheers.
I thought you meant the more modern optical output rather than the 3.5mm jack. (Kmow what you mean now)

Yes - I did mean that type, sorry. They're standard on pretty-much all AV kit these days so I presumed your Manhattan Freeview box would have one but it doesn't :)

W
It's not optical but composite video and audio, so with a suitable jack lead 4 pole (14mm lenght) i.e. the Manhattan Analogue AV kit The Manhattan Analogue AV Kit and a 2 phono sockets lead to 2 pole 3.5mm plug example kenable 3.5mm Jack Plug to 2 x Phono Sockets Extension Adapter Cabl... , audio to to the sound bar it should be possible as it should be an input, not know a sound bar with an output.
I'll order the bits I need and try next time I'm up. Thanks

I'll order the bits I need and try next time I'm up. Thanks

Just be aware that if you go down that route, then (if the T1 will only output from either it's HDMI socket or it's AV socket) you'd need to use the scart socket on the TV for video, so the picture quality will suffer and you won't get the benefit of the HD channels on the T1. You'd need to decide whether taking a hit on picture quality is worth it for better sound.

But before you decide... have you tried connecting the TV's headphone socket to the 3.5mm input on your soundbar yet ? If you already have an ordinary 3.5mm to 3.5mm stereo audio cable, then try using that. Make sure you select the right input on the soundbar if appropriate - if it has a digital display, then they're sometimes called something generic like 'aux' or 'aux in'. Which JBL soundbar do you have ?

I can't see an obvious reason why that shouldn't work but if it doesn't, then a dual monitor 1-in-2-out HDMI splitter (that duplicates the signal) would be the better option... if it works. You'd simply turn down the TV speakers and get video on the TV and audio only on the soundbar. This set-up would be a little unconventional though, so it would be good to get confirmation from someone who has done this (or at least someone who has experience with using that type of splitter) before spending any cash.

If this is a holiday flat you'll be renting out to others, then you might also want to consider ease of use for the guests. Keeping things as simple as possible might reduce the risk of guests starting to fiddle :D

Why all the faffing about.
Your TV has a headphone out and your soundbar has an aux input.
Anything you plug in to the TV will output audio from the headphone socket.
Play something on the Manhattan, do you have sound from the TV speakers?
Plug any headphones into the TV…do you get sound through them?
If you do connect a 3.5mm stereo minijack to Phono cable to your TV with the minijack end plugged into the headphone socket.
Plug the Phono end into the Aux input on the soundbar…select the Aux input using the soundbar's remote…do you get sound?

Last edited:
Why all the faffing about.
Your TV has a headphone out and your soundbar has an aux input.
Anything you plug in to the TV will output audio from the headphone socket.
Play something on the Manhattan, do you have sound from the TV speakers?
Plug any headphones into the TV…do you get sound through them?
If you do connect a 3.5mm stereo minijack to Phono cable to your TV with the minijack end plugged into the headphone socket.
Plug the Phono end into the Aux input on the soundbar…select the Aux input using the soundbar's remote…do you get sound?

If manufactures wanted the 3.5mm output socket to be used as a Line output they would have made it separate or switch-able like LG and maybe some others do, so it's in either Headphone out or Line out mode

As you should be aware with your apparent experience the impedance mismatch and level output make headphone level outputs unsuitable for line level inputs, although people still do it.

And as this site is aboiut giving out good advise, that what most try to do!

I'm not disagreeing with you.
I'm just suggesting that the OP take the easiest route for his problem.
The headphone out is entirely suitable for what he needs.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom