2006 Samsung LCDs - R7 Range - Pre Release / Specs / Price Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkjones

Established Member
Reaction score
NEW Samsung R7 Range - Out now

Just so people do not get confused with the thread about the "NEW" Samsung LCDs, there is an even "NEW-ER" range out in April 2006:

samsung_le26r74.jpg

And YES that are availiable in Black.

trisam1003.jpg

New styling: check. Fancy speaker setups: check. Why else should we consider upgrading to the R7 range? Well, the response time of the LCD panels has been improved to 6ms, the perceived contrast ratio is a boastful 5,000:1, and there's a new 'game' picture setting that has been calibrated to make the most of your Xbox 360 experience. However, you may be spoiled for choice. There's a plethora of new LCD, plasma and rear-pro TVs heading our way from Samsung, and when Crave returns to British soil we'll pursue them relentlessly on your behalf.

A nice video: HERE

I hope they arrive soon :) I personally am holding out for the 40" version in black.

UPDATES:

Details on the different designs:

yzf1kr
Oh yes for the colors:

R71B = Blue (bottom) + Black (casing)
R72B = Silver + Black
R73BD = Blue + Black + DVB - T tuner
R74BD = Silver + Black + DVB - T tuner
R71W = White

philflow
71, 72, 74 is for the design.

B means Black
W means White
D means digital tuner.

philflow also posted:
detailed pictures of the different designs: http://www.samsung.com/nl/products/tv/lcdtv/index.asp

digidandy - Samsung LE-40R71BX - first impressions
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327119

For M7 Range Info check DEUScronios post here:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330494

UPDATE 14-04-06:

spoonjaffa said:
To round up:

-Dynamic contrast isnt an issue (it turns off in movie mode)

-Need to buy 32" version or above for latest panel technology (SPVA)

-Lots of R7x models but not too difficult to work out differences due to cosmetic/size/digital tuner

-M61 is very similar to the R7x however R7x is slightly better due to more colors.

-1 HDMI for the R7x

-2 HDMI for the later released M7x series

-also M7x is to have motion blur software where as R7x doesnt (to name another difference)

Its all market talk until they actually release them and let the general public see what they're capable of doing, as for this 'game' setting, how do they know what my preferences are, and how do they know how light/dark my room is!

:rotfl:

Argee1977 said:
Its all market talk until they actually release them and let the general public see what they're capable of doing, as for this 'game' setting, how do they know what my preferences are, and how do they know how light/dark my room is!

:rotfl:

Well it's like the Dynamic Contrast thing. I mean it's obviously best for everyone to keep it on and get one-billion-to-one contrast ratios!! :devil:

Rep. said:
1. The settings are configured for best visual view and performance from an Xbox 360, you can then configure your own settings, brightness, etc. So it's having virtually two filters/processing engines: one to optimize normal TV, DVD or SAT watching and one to optimize gaming.

2. Brightness sensor?

Note: My answers are based on logic, not on Samsung's spec sheet. :D

1. YES I agree, Samsung and Microsoft have worked together with the 360 since its birth. They are the best judge of its settings for a TV.

2. YES again, even the OLD Samsung range had brightness sensors.

I just noticed there is a new samsung R7x range on the German Samsung site. Does someone knows these are the same panels as samsung's M61 range as I noticed one strange think and that is that they say it's 10bit with 12,8 billion colors and if I'm correct the M61 is also 10bit but with 6.4 billion colors ?
Is it possible to have the double of colors with the same 10bit processing or is it just a trick like they do with the dynamic contrast of 5000:1 <-> 1000:1 ?

My advice: go look in the shops. Who cares if one has 14 billion colours and the other one 32 trillion.

I already have the LE32M61 and I'm quite happy with it, but I find it rather strange that the R7x is cheaper than the M61 range although it seems to be better on paper with that 12,8 billion colors instead of the 6.4 billion. It doesn't make any sence but maybe it's just the same panel, with both 10bit and Samsung found another way to calculate the max colors :D

The R71/R72 range is at least 5 months newer than the M61 range, so there will be some improvements, i guess.

philflow said:
The R71/R72 range is at least 5 months newer than the M61 range, so there will be some improvements, i guess.

Yeah then theres the even newer and better M7 range LoL!:D

dllord said:
Yeah then theres the even newer and better M7 range LoL!:D

héhéhé, I think samsung is just playing with new range number to sell even more, no mention of the M7x range at the moment :)
But I'm curious if there is really a difference between the R7x and M61 range in performance but it will be difficult to find a store where they have them both, especially here in Belgium.

I think you will find that it is the same but companies always use different numbers depending on the target country it is intended to sell it in. I phoned Samsung yesterday because I am wanting the very latest model before I purchase and I was told categorically that the M range is the very latest. I would be really pi**ed if they were telling me an untruth ! I know models change very quickly but I want to buy the current model at time of purchase

I was at a national trade fair in Norway today, and after talking to the Samsungs reps and seeing models on display, here are a few facts:

* the new R7 range has the exact same panel as the M61-series. Why the R7 would be inferior to the M61 in any way beats me. It has to be a design thing, because the design of the R7 series looks a bit cheaper ... though i happen to like it, and it looks pretty good in iPod-white, too. ;) 40 inch R7 will be a about 24 000 Norwegian kroner (use a currency calculator to find out pounds, dollars, Euros, whatever).

* there is no difference between R71, R72, R75 etc. - it's just different designs.

* the LE-40M71 was on display, but no picture - obviously a (non-functioning?) proto; the rep said it would be on sale hopefully around June. It will be about 30 000 Norwegian kroner.

digidandy said:
the new R7 range has the exact same panel as the M61-series. Why the R7 would be inferior to the M61 in any way beats me. QUOTE]

Just was I thought, exactly the same panel. I just find it strange that Samsung is talking about the double of colors for the R7x range and that game modus, but I guess it's just juggle with figures to sell more. Maybe the M7x range will be a new panel ?
Funny that the LE32M61 is about 5kg heavier than the LE32R7X model since it is the same panel and a bunch of plastic :)

I just would like to know if that game modus they're talking make any difference ? Maybe not because on the US Samsung site they say the LNS4092D (which is the LE40M61 in Europe I think) also have that advanced game modus.

dafran said:
digidandy said:
the new R7 range has the exact same panel as the M61-series. Why the R7 would be inferior to the M61 in any way beats me. QUOTE]

Just was I thought, exactly the same panel. .

There's a lot more to a LCD-TV than a panel. electronics fe. and electronics are very important for image quality.

Loewe and Sharp sometimes use the same panels but they are very different tv's.

philflow said:
There's a lot more to a LCD-TV than a panel. electronics fe. and electronics are very important for image quality.

Loewe and Sharp sometimes use the same panels but they are very different tv's.

Yes I know, but this is the same manufacturer and I doubt there will be that much difference, but ofcourse I could be wrong. Maybe if someone could see them next to eachother.

digidandy said:
* the LE-40M71 was on display, but no picture - obviously a (non-functioning?) proto; the rep said it would be on sale hopefully around June. It will be about 30 000 Norwegian kroner.

Hm, I heard rumors on a German forum it'll be launched in May. I've already mailed Samsung Netherlands for a launch date, but no reply as of yet. I also heard a recommended retail price of 3000 euro, which would be great, but that's a lot less than 30000 Norwegian kroners so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

The Samsung R7 models are on sale from next week, but the M7 will not be on sale before May/June. It will be the new "flagship" with allmost the same design as M6 but with a dynamic contrast of 6000:1 + USB and Multi Memory Slot on the upper left side of the panel. 3000 euro (in Germany) for M7 sounds about right. The best price for the R7 model in Norway right now is about 2600 euro (concidered a bargain).

Jone :smashin:

jonembho said:
The Samsung R7 models are on sale from next week, but the M7 will not be on sale before May/June. It will be the new "flagship" with allmost the same design as M6 but with a dynamic contrast of 6000:1 + USB and Multi Memory Slot on the upper left side of the panel. 3000 euro (in Germany) for M6 sounds about right. The best price for the R7 model in Norway right now is about 2600 euro (concidered a bargain).

Glad to hear the M7 is not much of a step up ! I can continue to sit happy with my M6 for a while. Got no real interest in USB and a mem slot, and dynamic contrast must be for the blind :smashin:

Anyone know what retailers are going to have these puppies? I am finally jumping in and getting myself the 32" for my HD compatible telewest TV Drive and Xbox 360 - cant wait!

jonembho said:
The Samsung R7 models are on sale from next week, but the M7 will not be on sale before May/June. It will be the new "flagship" with allmost the same design as M6 but with a dynamic contrast of 6000:1 + USB and Multi Memory Slot on the upper left side of the panel. 3000 euro (in Germany) for M7 sounds about right. The best price for the R7 model in Norway right now is about 2600 euro (concidered a bargain).

Don't forget the 2nd HDMI input, which is the reason I'm buying this baby. The M71 also introduces Smooth Motion technique, which means football should look a bit better on this model.

Cervantes said:
Don't forget the 2nd HDMI input, which is the reason I'm buying this baby. The M71 also introduces Smooth Motion technique, which means football should look a bit better on this model.

That 2x HDMI input is only for the M7x range isn't it ? As I can't find a second one on the R7x range ?
When the M71 comes out I'll probably be temped to buy that one as my M61 will be already 4-5 months by then so it will be time for a new toy as I really want to check out that new game modus thing :D

dafran said:
That 2x HDMI input is only for the M7x range isn't it ? As I can't find a second one on the R7x range ?
When the M71 comes out I'll probably be temped to buy that one as my M61 will be already 4-5 months by then so it will be time for a new toy as I really want to check out that new game modus thing :D

throw that junk away man it's an antique :devil:

the 2x HDMI is indeed only for the M7x range, the R7x will only feature one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom