2006 Region 2 UK Online Retailer Award

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by Marc, Dec 29, 2006.

?
  1. 101 CD ([url]www.101cd.com[/url])

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Amazon/Amazon Jersey ([url]www.amazon.co.uk[/url])

16.9%
  3. Asda ([url]www.asda-entertainment.co.uk[/url])

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Bensons World ([url]www.bensons-world.co.uk[/url])

2.4%
  5. Blah DVD ([url]www.blahdvd.com[/url])

1.2%
  6. CD-Wow ([url]www.cd-wow.com[/url])

13.3%
  7. Choices UK ([url]www.choicesuk.com[/url])

1.2%
  8. DVD.Co.Uk ([url]www.dvd.co.uk[/url])

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Filmnight ([url]www.filmnight.com[/url])

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Foxy ([url]www.foxy.co.uk[/url])

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. HMV ([url]www.hmv.co.uk[/url])

20.5%
  12. The Hut ([url]www.thehut.com[/url])

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Play ([url]www.play.com[/url])

34.9%
  14. Sainsburys ([url]www.sainsburysentertainyou.co.uk[/url])

1.2%
  15. Sendit ([url]www.sendit.com[/url])

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Tesco/Tesco Jersey ([url]www.tesco.com[/url])

2.4%
  17. Tree DVD ([url]www.treedvd.co.uk[/url])

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. Virgin Megastore ([url]www.virginmega.co.uk[/url])

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. WH Smith ([url]www.whsmith.co.uk[/url])

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. Woolworths ([url]www.woolworths.co.uk[/url])

2.4%
  21. Other (please comment)

3.6%
  1. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    It's that time again, where I ask everyone to vote for their favourite online retailers of the year. This year I have split the voting into THREE seperate polls, Region 2 (UK/Europe), Region 1 (US/Canada) and Multiregion (R0/R3/R4/R2 Japan). This is the REGION 2 poll.

I have listed 20 of the top online retailers for you to choose from, as well as the obligatory "other" category for the difficult among you :D

I will leave the poll open for a month, after which time you will no longer be able to cast a vote, so don't delay, vote today!

As always, if you have some comments you'd like to make about your vote, they are most welcome.

Marc

2. KevD

KevD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,563
    For R2 I only really used Cd-Wow & HMV this year, with the odd title being picked up elsewhere.
    HMV grab this one for me, some great deals this year (particularly on Boxsets!) and some very good promos aswell. :smashin:
    CDwow had some cracking deals, but failed to get a few R2 new releases out to me anywhere near the release date, otherwise they may of had my vote. :thumbsup:

3. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    I've gone for CD-Wow for Region 2 as i've bought around 30 Region 2 DVD's from them, which is many more than any other retailer. I was impressed by HMV this year, they had lots of good offers and no longer charge for postage, but unfortunately i usually already owned all the good dvd's on offer, though i did get a good deal on the Rome boxset just before Christmas :)

4. dobobobo

dobobobo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HMV with out a doubt. I used to hate them, so much so that when i first joined this board i ended up in an argument with people on this board because they couldn't understand why i hated HMV. HMV caved in and offered free delivery only because they were struggling online trying to compete with the Channel island company's. And they only did so many offers to try and kill the competition. But i cannot deny the quality of their offers. I now pretty much have all the DVD's i want. Most of them are double disc dvd's or special edition. Most of them were bought for £5. A few were bought for about £5 even though they were still fairly new DVD's. A few were bought with quality discounts vouchers and discount weekends. Which in all means i've saved hundreds and in one year bought about 110 films from HMV and about 15 from play.com/sendit.com/blahdvd.com.

This years HMV Xmas/New Year sale is pretty crap compared to all the other HMV offers. As allot of DVD's are more expensive and no voucher options. Though also allot of the cheap DVD's i already have. That said though i doubt if HMV will do another great year of quality offers. As i believe they did it to kill the competition and it hasn't really happened.

5. Refused

Refused

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I voted for Amazon, as their delivery is often super quick. Unless you're too tight to pay the postage fee, and go for super saver.
    The packaging is also easily recyclable, which I like. Being an eco-warrior and all. And it's easy to open too, which is great when you're excited about your DVDs!

Also, I have had problems with HMV recently. If I order 3 items, the third item never seems to ship. It sticks on "Your item is ready to be despatched", and I have to cancel and reorder the item. It's strange.

6. partyweb

partyweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    Tough one here. Contenders were:

:smashin: Amazon - 3rd place. Customer service & returns policy. But they messed up big time with my one of my Xmas pressies as I've mentioned elsewhere (cust svs sorted it out fine, but that mistake lost them my vote)

:smashin: HMV - 2nd place. As already mentioned above they have recently excelled with their online store. Now offering free delivery, approachable human cust svs, and regular fantastic sales (and discount codes) and unbelieveable prices that leave other sites in the dust. (Don't believe me? Just trawl through the 2nd longest thread in the bargains forum here)

And the winner ?

:thumbsup: CD-WOW - Yes, at the end of the day PRICE is the most important factor and (for those in the know) cdwow is, hands down, THE cheapest place to buy dvds. (See the longest, busiest thread here in the bargains forum for proof)

7. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Astral Crescent, Zoovroozlechester, Betelgeuse V
    Ratings:
    +16,752
    Normally would have voted for the WOW, and of course they're good for your bread & butter savings (using the odd cheeky method ;) ;)) - but I think pound for pound HMV have definitely provided me with the best savings on my most desired DVDs (including some great Quidco cashback :)) ... very close though (especially since WOW cancelled, refunded and then dispatched quite a few boxsets and DVDs to me :rotfl: :rotfl:)
    - WOW have also lost on customer service this year, since they abolished the pre-paid delivery jiffy bags for returning goods, and have delayed almost every new release delivery

8. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Has to be HMV for me this year, although I still use CD-Wow and Play.com from time to time. I'd not used HMV until about six months ago, but I buy most of my R2 stuff from them now (the 11% Quidco cashback helps too:smashin:).

Don't use them for new releases though, as I'll buy the cheaper R3 from CD-Wow if its a title I don't want to wait for or some evil person posts an unmissable bargain, forcing me to spend even more money (you know who you are!:nono: :D).

9. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Gone for Amazon as they normally deliver very quickly and have super packaging too!

10. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,261
    Not wanting to be "picky" - but what, exactly do you mean by "Region 2"? Do you really mean UK/Europe releases, or do you include Japan in R2?

11. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    actually a good point.. i meant region 2 as in UK, & i put play-asia in the R3 section but i suppose they're region 2 as well aren't they... something always goes wrong with these polls :D

12. Jan20

Jan20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    HMV have been fantastic recently, completely surprised by their prices and speed of service. They get my vote.

13. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,261
    Sorry. Personal hobby-horse. Misuse of the term "R2" to mean "UK" when it emphatically doesn't.

I've taken the liberty of changing your thread title.

14. dobobobo

dobobobo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow play.com is in the lead with 14. It's the first year where i haven't used them as my main retailer. I'd be grateful know what are the reasons why people think they were so good in 2006?

Thanks

15. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's interesting you having the polls region 1, 2 and all other regions because I've voted for Axel music - region 1, HMV - region 2 , and CD-wow for region 3/4 etc.

However if I was asked my favourite retailers I probably would have said CD-wow followed by Axel Music followed by HMV for 2006.

I think the sales at HMV have been critical in raising its profile, that and finally having free postage and packing have earned my favourite region 2 retailer of 2006

16. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    The polls are closed for another year, and congratulations go to PLAY.COM for winning the Region 2 online retailer of the year award, with an impressive 35% of the votes.

In 2nd was HMV with 20% of the votes, followed by Amazon with 16% in 3rd. Well done to you both as well!